Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

Just got my first car which is a 2000 E320. Sadly it has some scratches and in general i want to make it look really nice, which is why i wanted to ask if any of you guys know a good kit which includes everything to keep a car in good condition?

I really don't have any products yet, so a kit would be great.

So far i have looked at the following Zaino kit, which i have only read positive things about.

Zaino Ultimate Protection Show Car Kit: Zaino Store

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Mercedes used to offer one that comes nicely packed in a car wash bucket, you might have a look at that too.

·
Premium Member
Present Stable = '88 560SL ,'16 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, '06 LR3 HSE, and '17 Newmar Essex
1,318 Posts
Zaino is one of the best (but); a lot depends on getting your paint in a position that is ready for polishing / waxing. If you've got damage, ie contaminants, sun exposure, or swirls & light scratches you need to consider whether or not it (paint) needs restoration or possibly a more aggressive approach to get it back into shape/ condition. No worries, Mercedes' factory original paint finishes are some of the best so it's doable and may be something you can do or may need a professional to handle. If your going to pay someone to do this, you could expect to spend anywhere from $300-500 for a top-tier professional job depending on the prevailing condition of your new car's finish.

For all my cars (past & present), of recent years I've gone the 3M Professional grade "Perfect It" way, that being 3M's 3-stage polishing process which begins with good washing (prep); then clay-bar'ing to remove surface contaiminents, then stage 1 3M's ultrafine power polishing compound (used with a polisher I.e. 1200 RPMs); then 3M stage 2 also power applied, ultrafine polish/cleaner/glaze; then final Stage 3 ultrafine polish (again machine applied); after this then your paint/finish will be clear of the all contaiminents,, swirls and smaller scratches....in other words - ready for hand polishing applications. Note: the prices for each of the 3M prefect it products is around $40-50 per bottle, which I think are 28-30 oz. size, each enough to do 4-5 cars but the smallest sizes you can buy

This was critical for my '08 models (both white) due to them having the Mercedes OEM factory "Ceramic-clear clearcoats which are ultra-hard. Not sure what your 2000 model has.

For my CLS 550 and older 88 560 SL (original paint)
I did them myself, for my latest SL 550 I paid a professional to do the 3-stage 3M job, then took the car home and took over final polishing (Zaino Pro2, Z5 and Z6).....0 swirls...deep gloss, Very happy!, both look like new.

This is where choosing the right Zaino products (or other brands, I.e. Mother's, Mequair's, etc etc) is necessary (if you're unsure call about which Zaino's then call Sal Zaino himself and ask him); he'll give you the right advice, I.e Z-2, Z-5/6, etc.

Note: I'm a fanatic about my vehicle(s) appearance and treat such as a hobby so my recommendations may be somewhat extreme to others.

·
Registered
2000 E320
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zaino is one of the best (but); a lot depends on getting your paint in a position that is ready for polishing / waxing. If you've got damage, ie contaminants, sun exposure, or swirls & light scratches you need to consider whether or not it (paint) needs restoration or possibly a more aggressive approach to get it back into shape/ condition. No worries, Mercedes' factory original paint finishes are some of the best so it's doable and may be something you can do or may need a professional to handle. If your going to pay someone to do this, you could expect to spend anywhere from $300-500 for a top-tier professional job depending on the prevailing condition of your new car's finish.

For all my cars (past & present), of recent years I've gone the 3M Professional grade "Perfect It" way, that being 3M's 3-stage polishing process which begins with good washing (prep); then clay-bar'ing to remove surface contaiminents, then stage 1 3M's ultrafine power polishing compound (used with a polisher I.e. 1200 RPMs); then 3M stage 2 also power applied, ultrafine polish/cleaner/glaze; then final Stage 3 ultrafine polish (again machine applied); after this then your paint/finish will be clear of the all contaiminents,, swirls and smaller scratches....in other words - ready for hand polishing applications. Note: the prices for each of the 3M prefect it products is around $40-50 per bottle, which I think are 28-30 oz. size, each enough to do 4-5 cars but the smallest sizes you can buy

This was critical for my '08 models (both white) due to them having the Mercedes OEM factory clearcoats which are ultra-hard. Not sure what your 2000 model has.

For my CLS 550 and older 88 560 SL I did them myself, for my latest SL 550 I paid a professional to do the 3-stage 3M job, then took the car home and took over final polishing (Zaino Pro2, Z5 and Z6).....0 swirls...deep gloss, Very happy!, both look like new.

This is where choosing the right Zaino products (or other brands, I.e. Mother's, Mequair's, etc etc) is necessary (if you're unsure call about which Zaino's then call Sal Zaino himself and ask him); he'll give you the right advice, I.e Z-2, Z-5/6, etc.
Since i am a university student i am on a limited budget and therefore having the polishing done by a professional is out of the question.

My car has been garage kept so it does not have any damage from the sun, just minor scratches here and there. But generally i know that the paint can shine much more than it does now.

I have ordered the Zaino Total Protection kit for $84.70, but would you recommend to get 1 of the 3 power polishes from 3m as well? I'm thinking i might not be able to do it well enough by hand all the way from the beginning.

·
Premium Member
Present Stable = '88 560SL ,'16 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, '06 LR3 HSE, and '17 Newmar Essex
1,318 Posts
Understand. I would suggest that you do claybar the paint (that is essential to remove contaiminents you can't see but can feel present on the surface) plus its cheap and something you can easily do yourself before applying your polishing. Then use the Zaino products and see what kind of appearance it delivers - may be that's enough to make you happy which at the end of it all - is all that matters. Besides, once you do so, you'll have a better understanding if a more aggressive approach is needed.

·
Registered
2000 E320
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Understand. I would suggest that you do claybar the paint (that is essential to remove contaiminents you can't see but can feel present on the surface) plus its cheap and something you can easily do yourself before applying your polishing. Then use the Zaino products and see what kind of appearance it delivers - may be that's enough to make you happy which at the end of it all - is all that matters. Besides, once you do so, you'll have a better understanding if a more aggressive approach is needed.
The kit comes with a claybar so I will make use of that. I will just start out with the Zaino products that come in the kit and see what it does, and go from there if necessary.

Thanks for the help! :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
I am fairly new to this myself so I am sharing what I have found that works for me and my E350 Bluetec (040 black). I started with a Griot's Garage DA polisher. It worked fine, but, it was much more effort than I wanted on heavily swirled areas. I now have a Flex DA with forced rotation. I use Menzerna polishes (as does MB). On heavily swirled areas, I use Menzerna Super Intensive Polish (SIP) with a Griot's orange polishing pad. Any good polishing pad will do the same, I just have Griot's pads. After the SIP, I use Menzerna 106FA Super Finish polish. The results are superb, and the Flex really cuts down the time. On lightly swirled areas, I have found I get fantastic results just using the Super Finish (106FA) and the Flex. After, I generally use a sealant, as my Benz is a daily driver and outside often. I have been very satisfied with the Menzerna products in combination with the Flex DA polisher. You just can't go wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts