Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1988 560 SL
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does a 126 compare to a beloved 123? I have the opportunity to purchase a 1986 300SDL and wonder if its as nice as my 300D.
Thanks

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
A 300d turbo u give it full throttle and it moves pretty good, a sd you give it full throttle and black smoke goes everywhere but it doesnt move anywhere. oh but u have an sdl, aluminum head i think... sdls are fast and good engines, hope everything goes well with it:)

MARSHALL

·
Registered
300D, TD, 240D, 230
12 Posts
I had an '84 SD w/617 motor. Great motor, too much crap to go wrong with the car. Mine had been neglected, but still, power everything means, eventually, headaches. I love my Euro W123 sedan. Simplest car I've ever owned. Crank windows, manual climate control, manual gearbox, no sunroof... it'll run forever, and everything will continue to work properly. Even if it breaks, diagnosis and repair are a snap! Can't say that about the 126's.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
You’re considering a second generation 126 which has some improved features and additional options. The OM 603 is a fine engine but as noted the head can warp so an inspection is in order. At almost two tons and with a 121.2 inch wheelbase this is a BIG car. But it’s remarkably driveable and easy to use in town. Its true home is on the open road – the faster you go the more comfortable the car becomes, it tracks straighter and the suspension smoothes out. Best speeds for the 126 is over 80 mph. The cabin is spacious and the rear seats have excessive legroom, everything about the car is large and massive. Make sure you have a careful inspection before buying, although not cheap to maintain, if an abused or neglected example is purchased, it can be a nightmare of a money pit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts