Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Avalon XLS
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a daily driver, still doing my research.

So far I'm thinking a solid little 190E would be a great car to put miles on. Are the transmissions prone to failure in a 126? Apparently there aren't many trans issues with the 190E's...

The 126 is an awesome car, but I'd have to get euro bumpers.. I'd just have to, because the N. American spec bumpers are just horrible. How much would I be spending on bumpers and where in the world would I get them?

What things would be more expensive to maintain on an S-Class as opposed to a basic little 190? I can't think of too many other options particularly (unless the car was loaded with rear seat recline and other stuff) that would cost me money compared to a 190, the car is just bigger, generally speaking.

Pros/cons between the two? I like the older 80's style "box" Mercedes, and I think the quality was UP for those cars compared to later models, so I'm leaning this direction, just not sure what the best choice is. Also considering a W124.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1986 420SEL/1995 E300D/4 BMW’s/2 Vanagon’s
1,026 Posts
Maintenance wise, parts costs are going to about the same. They use basically the same transmissions. Where you might get ahead on the 190 is that it is a smaller, lighter car so you may not wear out parts at the same rate. Other than that, the cars are on the opposite end of the spectrum from one another so it is like apples and oranges. To keep these cars proper is not necessarily cheap. They can be reliable if you buy quality parts. They are generally easy to work on if you are a DIY'er.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts