Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any pictures of common rust areas on the underside of the w123? I know the floorpans can rot through but apart from that I'm not sure where to look?

Will add some pics of the underside of mine later.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
The rear Trailing Arms. And, they are made of thin metal.

On mine any place where the decorative trim attaches with holes through the body.

Under the Hood up next to the Fire Wall. Look at the Battery tray and under it.
If the body drains get plugged water pools in the tunnel where the Hood Spring runs. Holes in that area often leake into the inside of the Car.

Under the Windshield and rear Window seals.

Around the Spring Perch.

The lower Rocker Panel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

Here's a couple pictures of the rear underside of my 230e:

Do they look okay to you?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Just get some used motor sprayed on it. Get a cheap sprayer from Harbor Frieght, mine runs off an air compressor. Thin it down w diesel just so it sprays. Put on your shop clothes & have at it!

I think you've got a keeper!

Dave

·
Registered
6,561 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where exactly on the car are those last 2 pictures? I have some pretty good photos of the areas I have found rust so far, I'll update my other thread with them..

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
I forgot somethings.
In areas where they use Salt on the Roads in the Winter it is not unknown for Brake Lint Tubings and other Steel Tubings to rust through.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Where exactly on the car are those last 2 pictures? I have some pretty good photos of the areas I have found rust so far, I'll update my other thread with them..
They are of the underside of the car - picture a chap lying down on his back in the dirt taking pictures of the sill / rocker / longeron area!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
How can I get into the rocker panel area to keep my jack points alive?

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
How can I get into the rocker panel area to keep my jack points alive?
Dig deep into the underside of the rubber undercoating on the sills / rockers and you'll find several rubber bungs along the length of this panel. Dig them out carefully and you might even be able to re-use them. If you mess one of these bungs up you can still get them at the dealer though the quality isn't what is was...

Use a product like a modern waxoyl. Dinitrol (Rust Prevention Waxes and Oils) is pretty good stuff. It is well regarded by the wire wheel brigade in the UK - and they should know those prams rot faster than old apples...

You can also spray the same stuff directly into the jack point hole

·
Registered
588 Posts
Also worth to have a look at the rear frame and the firewall where the front frame rails attach. Also check inner sills...

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Dig deep into the underside of the rubber undercoating on the sills / rockers and you'll find several rubber bungs along the length of this panel. Dig them out carefully and you might even be able to re-use them. If you mess one of these bungs up you can still get them at the dealer though the quality isn't what is was...

Use a product like a modern waxoyl. Dinitrol (Rust Prevention Waxes and Oils) is pretty good stuff. It is well regarded by the wire wheel brigade in the UK - and they should know those prams rot faster than old apples...

You can also spray the same stuff directly into the jack point hole
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
200T,

Thanks for posting all the pix, very helpfull!:thumbsup:

Dave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts