Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
C43, E320, G500
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 C43 and have been wondering about the behavior of transmission shifting on my car. On Sport mode and by just pressing the pedal to the metal from full stop, the RPM would reach almost rev limit and hold for approximately 4-5 seconds and then all of the sudden it would shift up abruptly. Sometimes when taking over another car, my car would just hesitate and just reach rev limit until I let go on the pedal and press again. This is really dangerous since I would expect that the car with this much power would have no problems with speeding up. After reviewing pretty much all postings from this website and at mbworld.org, it seems like these are common problems with MB cars. Correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm correct, I think MB is hiding a flaw in design of its transmission programming. Some people have said to get the tranny software reuploaded to fix the problem, but when I contacted 2 dealers in Southern California (Fletcher-Jones in Newport Beach and Penske in West Covina), no one knows about reuploading transmission software or they are really hiding a major quality issue with these cars. I'm an engineer and I know that no system is perfect, but MB should inform customers of how to fix these problems.

As far as I'm concern, MB should fix these problems because it is a safety issue with the lag. They should forget about the adaptive transmission model. I bought my AMG for the performance and speed.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I feel a little better that I'm not the only one experiencing these problems. I'm posting this also on mbworld.org, mbusa.com, and amg website.

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
not sure I understand..
The idea of an automatic transmission is exactly that! its automatic! when you hit the rev limit, the transmission's intelligence shifts up. QED.

If you are intent on sitting on the rev limit for all time - why not just start off in first and manually shift? That way you can pop a few valve springs and have some real good fun.

Suggest you read the owners manual - it tells you how to drive in the intro...

·
Registered
C43, E320, G500
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Common Shifting Problems

J62105, you're exactly correct, you don't understand the problem. Maybe if you read the posting a little better, you'll understand that the problem is lag on shifting. You don't have to tell me how to drive SMART ASS. I'm trying to collect information so I can approach the service departments close to where I live with enough information to show them that almost everyone is complaining about similar problems.

Maybe you should learn what AUTOMATIC means. I should look you up when I come to Cambridge, UK next month. I can probably show you how to drive automatic.

·
Registered
C43
3 Posts
I had the same problem- I would put the accelerator down 50-75%, the engine would rev to...

I had the same problem- I would put the accelerator down 50-75%, the engine would rev to over 5k RPM, then the tranny would engage very violently! The dealership checked and checked and checked, then replaced the mass air flow meter and reset everything possible (tranny, cam sensor, etc) and the tranny seems much better, though not perfect. I had an autocross school this weekend and the car drove well, just seemed to hesitate at times, even though I left the gear selector in 2. Seems that a manu-matic would help on this car- wish I had a 2000...

By the way, my C43 ran times as fast as any of the other cars (though we were all novices), which included a C32, a modded Audi TT, and a WRX STi (that is a FAST car)- I was pleasantly surprised!! Just wish I had a tire sponsor!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts