Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All,

I'm new around here, so my questions have in all likeliehood been asked before. but please go easy.... :)

anyway I have a 2003 W211 E220 CDI elegance. Love the car, had it about 2.5 years now. What is funny though is the things that didnt seem important in buying a car in 2005, now seem very important. I am looking to integrate phone/bluetooth and mp3/ipod functionality for my car. The alternative is to buy a newer car, and I really want to avoid that.

OK So I bought a nokia ck15w car kit , and installation from the carphone warehouse. I also was sold a 35 quid telemute cable which would mean that the radio would mute and any calls would come through the car speakers. That sounded like a plan until the installer told me that because my stereo (an audio 20 unit with casette, and 6 cd changer) was "fibre optic" it was impossible to use the telemute cable.

Basically what I want to know is if there is a solution to this - I am currently using the unit with the seperate speaker, but the sound quality is really poor.

secondly, as I said I have the audio 20 with casette and 6 cd changer. I understood that the cd changer would play mp3 cd's. when I put in the cd (created on itunes) it says "wrong cd".

finally I want to use my ipod in the car. I have tried various FM transmitters which were all poor, and currently have gone back to the old casette to headphone jack solution. I have heard of other sollutions which will fully integrate the ipod to the stereo and all the controls. anyone have any experience of this ?

thanks/

·
Registered
362 Posts
You didn't mention where you are located (there is a difference in US and Euro - and Japanese - spec MBs, so it would ALWAYS help to know where you are from.

I am going to assume you live in the UK... Euro spec 211 with Audio 20 unit:

* In order to be able to install an integrating iPod kit (or 'just' hook up an iPod or MP3 player and control volume through the head unit), one would need to upgrade to DVD comand first. The 211 DVD comand is capable to get the AUX input connected; 211 Audio 20 is NOT.

* In theory it should be possible to modify a 211 Audio 20 unit to let it 'accept' an AUX input. So you can either get an iPod / MP3 player hooked up OR get MB's integrating iPod kit installed. MBenzNL is able to do such a modification for the 171 SLKs, and as said - in theory it should be possible to this for the 211s as well.

The MB integrating iPod kit can be controlled from the steering wheel buttons, and info will show on the instrument cluster's display. NO integration from the head unit!

* Depending on whether or not your car is pre-wired for phone from factory (not very likely with a Euro spec 211), you can either get an original Mercedes phone kit installed. OR a so called 'add on' UHI phone kit with microphone and antenna. These kits will fully integrate with the car's audio system and steering wheel controls. It won't be cheap, though!! But it should be possible to make this work.

* It is very likely that you have a regular 6disc CD changer in your car. You could consider swapping it for an MP3 compatible CD changer. Just a matter of swapping units...

greetingz,

BigSis

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,425 Posts
Considering the mute line, that would not be at the head unit but at the audio gateway at the trunk (where the radio tuner and amp are integrated).

I guess an after market option would exist for the iPod interface if you want one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hye sorry for interupting! I have a MB E220 CDI 150BHP Avantgarde... it's Euro4 -with particle filter- and i bought it from Germany... oh it was first registrated on 10.11.2004! I'm asking you guys to help me to change the language of the on-board computer wich settings are in German and they equals 0 for me! I quite don't understant something from those settings so please give me a private message and explain me step by step (button by button :D) how to change the language for the on-board computer! If it helps, the Navi system it's in English and that's a little bit odd... oh and not to forgett, i'm from Europe, Romania! Hey guys something else... : if you know a link from where i can get data for burning a DVD for the Navi System with maps for Central/Mid and East Europe (Hungary, Romania, Greece, etc.) or mybe better, Full Europe please send me the infos by PM? I have the original DVD but it's centered on West Europe and i'm from Romania wich means it's useless for me! I'm waiting your answers as soon as you can! Thanks in advance!

I am also missing the owner's manual... i mean i have it but it's in German :((... so an English manual would be great... maybe you can send me a .pdf or a .doc or the link from i can get one -free of course because i've allready payed for the German one, wich i don't needed-!

Have a good day, Justine!

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,425 Posts
The user guides are available from an MB shop as "spare parts". You are supposed to buy a genuine copy of the MAP DVD, burnt discs also often don't work well.

The on-line user manual may help you too (I've posted it on an earlier response to you).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts