Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2003 C230 Kompressor, 1997 Jaguar Xk8
18 Posts
wow $700 for stabilizer bushings? I just did mine for $20....only an hour for a backyard mechanic...did the stabilizer links at the same time. might want to look out for a more honest mechanic. That said watch out for the mysterious misfire codes we are all starting to get now.. no one seems to know what it is

·
Registered
2 Posts
2004 C230 Kompressor Sport

I love our c230 but had some problems in and out of warranty. Considering we paid 33K for the car, we plan to keep it considering ...besides, the repair so far would be cheaper than getting another car...anything major and this may change.
---The computer needed to be flashed while under warranty. Car would stumble when from stop to acceleration.
---The sunroof needed to be services twice where it would not auto-shut or auto open. It would not reset per the manual instructions.
--We had an altitude sensor that needed to be changed twice which caused the check engine light to come on. Outside of warranty $180
--Door handles have broken on both driver and passenger side (the later was during warranty and dealer was visibly embarassed when we brought it in)
--21st centrury cup holder broke...still have not replaced
--We get intermitten warnings about marker lights or headlights not working but then the messages disappear (have not had this issue appear in some time)
--Both front rotors were replaced at 80K miles. Back rotors and pad are still fine. $325 with labor
--The biggest issue was a $10 vaccuum line that our dealer indicated that Mercedes knew was an issue. Unfortunately, this little gem did not break until after warranty and the line was in a place that caused a lot of labor to get through; this $10 part cost us $400 to repair.
--Since the front and rear tires are different sizes, cannot rotate. We're on the 3rd set of tires; the Michelins that came with the car went about 20K miles and we went aftermarket Koumos which worn out much less.
We have the services done at an indy MB mechanic. Cost us about $180 versus the $325 the dealer wants to charge.
We have 107K miles on it and I'll admit I drove the car fairly hard during the first 30K. I called it my Stealth Fighter but after 70K miles it's been more like the Millenium Falcon...still love the car though.

·
Registered
2003 C230 Kompressor, 1997 Jaguar Xk8
18 Posts
the $10 hose is a recall issue, take the receipts back to the dealer (assuming you had the dealer do the work) and they will reimburse you for everything. you say you had the computer flashed due to hesitation? did it happen all through the gears? and did the engine light come on?

·
Registered
2005 C230 Kompressor Sedan
81 Posts
50K miles on my '05, had it for almost two years.

1) Sunroof popping back open during closing: shot of silicone and reset
2) Light on rear view mirror has always been out
3) Thermostat went out (running hot, popped a code). $350 for repair at Pepboys. Would have done it myself but I'm in Iraq and wife is driving it.
4) Have to reset the "all windows open by holding the unlock button on the remote" about once a week. May give up on that feature.
5) Curb rash on right rear wheel. No big issue, but I've bought three wheels to no avail. One was wrong color, one "rattle canned" painted (still wet), and one leaked. I gave up on that.
6) HVAC blows out some rancid air sometimes. Must be mildew back in there somewhere.

Overall, love the car, love the look, LOVE the 34mpg, love the styling, love how quiet it is on the highway, and love the performance for a 1.8L engine. And most people who see it think it is brand new and cost about twice what I paid for it. Love it.

·
Registered
04 c230 kompressor
26 Posts
mine is an 04,sunroof tilts up but doesnt open..add 1qt of oil lightoften comes up in malfunction,gas mileage is not really that great..sucks up gas as it was a 6 cylinder,i hear its because of kompressor idk?alternator has low voltage when hid lights are on and i crank system light flicker and alternator goes to like 11 volts...kompressor makes it sound like a diesel,i hate that..other than this,the car is great..mine just hit 55k and engine is very strong,love the handling,love the sport button and tiptronic tranny..very responsive,9 out of 10...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
it sounds like something is wrong with your car. you should get 32-33 mpg highway cruising at 80mph. a supercharger (kompressor) barely affects mileage. and the car should definitely not sound like a diesel. even with the sport exhaust this is a very quiet car.

mine is an 04,sunroof tilts up but doesnt open..add 1qt of oil lightoften comes up in malfunction,gas mileage is not really that great..sucks up gas as it was a 6 cylinder,i hear its because of kompressor idk?alternator has low voltage when hid lights are on and i crank system light flicker and alternator goes to like 11 volts...kompressor makes it sound like a diesel,i hate that..other than this,the car is great..mine just hit 55k and engine is very strong,love the handling,love the sport button and tiptronic tranny..very responsive,9 out of 10...

·
Registered
94 C220, 2001 C180
38 Posts
"The biggest known major problem is leaking cam magnets and all MB's have leaking cam magnets but we are bless with a secondary condition where it leaks into the harness and causes thousands of dollars worth of damage. MB does have a part that isolates the harness from the cam magnet and it's fairly cheap."

I thought this was only common to 2003 models, should I now get worried that mine may develop that problem as well?

·
Registered
2005 Lexus RX330, 2001 C200K Mercedes
7 Posts
Does anyone have any details about these leaking cam sensors?

I have just purchased an 2001 C200K with 65 000kms. Full merc history and a 2 year warranty. The service guys reckon there's nothing to worry about but I would rather have the mod done before the oil starts leaking.

How common is this problem?

·
Registered
2003 C230 Kompressor 4cyl
15 Posts
wow take a look

Door handle broke
oil leak at vacum pump o ring
cup holder broke
abs bap
sleepery trany at take off
directional handle to the right not holding
vacum hose recall
sunroof

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
see sticky at top of page; tons of info. recall for some years.

Does anyone have any details about these leaking cam sensors?

I have just purchased an 2001 C200K with 65 000kms. Full merc history and a 2 year warranty. The service guys reckon there's nothing to worry about but I would rather have the mod done before the oil starts leaking.

How common is this problem?

·
Registered
2005 CLK55 AMG Coupe ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
2,545 Posts
First make sure all wheels are perfectly balanced.After that...
Drive the car and note the rpm when the vibration is greatest.
Shift to a different gear and bring rpm to the same number.
If the vibration reduces in a different gear it could be related to the driveshaft. Check for damage,worn joints,missing balance weights,loose bolts/nuts.
If the driveshaft etc is ok,next check rear wheel bearings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good morning all I have been having issues with my 05 c230kompressor lately first bought an Alternator unfortunately not charging battery, secondly the supercharger was replaced still the car is not starting this is the 2 challenges I have with the car right now can't comprehend the cause of the problem I need assistance ASAP thanks.

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes’ c240 4Matic sedan w203 / 112 engine v6 2.6L naturally aspirated
12 Posts
Good morning all I have been having issues with my 05 c230kompressor lately first bought an Alternator unfortunately not charging battery, secondly the supercharger was replaced still the car is not starting this is the 2 challenges I have with the car right now can't comprehend the cause of the problem I need assistance ASAP thanks.
Post a video of you starting the car, see what happens when it cranks. Remember car needs spark fuel air and engine compression. Usually it could be fuel problem like fuel pump or similar. Check fuel pressure, you can try to disconnect fuel line to fuel rail, stick it inside a empty bottle, start the car only briefly. If there is no gas that comes out it is surely a gas problem. Lastly keep taking advice as it comes. A scan tool also is good to have

·
Registered
2 Posts
Post a video of you starting the car, see what happens when it cranks. Remember car needs spark fuel air and engine compression. Usually it could be fuel problem like fuel pump or similar. Check fuel pressure, you can try to disconnect fuel line to fuel rail, stick it inside a empty bottle, start the car only briefly. If there is no gas that comes out it is surely a gas problem. Lastly keep taking advice as it comes. A scan tool also is good to have
Thanks will check all you said I bought new fuel pump too.

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes’ c240 4Matic sedan w203 / 112 engine v6 2.6L naturally aspirated
12 Posts
Thanks will check all you said I bought new fuel pump too.
Always first identify the problems first before you buy parts. Don’t buy what you may not need, keep testing all different parts to make sure what is the problem. Fuel is a common reason but it may not be the reason, so keep checking

41 - 56 of 56 Posts