Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
i just bought an 05 c230 kompressor ss. i had a problem with the sunroof not closing as well as the trunk release button rattling when my music has heavier bass. i went in and got everything fixed under warranty. they ordered a new button and replaced it, re-syncing the sunroof with their computer fixed my problem with the auto close. I couldn't resync it manually with the control button.

·
Registered
2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
1,903 Posts
How to replace serpentine belt for my 2000 mercedes c230 kompressor
You might want to start a new thread, since this is unrelated to the thread you used.

It should be the same as almost any other serpentine belt. I haven't done it on a 2000, but it should be something like use a socket wrench to release the tensioner, unthread the belt, thread the new belt to the same pattern, release the tensioner. A second person might help. Hopefully someone can be more specific.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
I looked at upgrading but the C230 runs well, no problems and I don't drive much, but the real deal killer is what these cars are worth used. So for example, if you only get $10-12K for it, and you are happy with it, why sell it. My only problem to date is I get warning message about once a month that says my right rear turn signal is on, which it's not and then it goes away next time you start the car. Nobody has been able to fix it and it's not a big deal to me. It even has the original brake pads at 45K miles and I had 4 years of free maintenance. I think this has been the cheapest car to run (not counting resale which not so good).

The biggest known major problem is leaking cam magnets and all MB's have leaking cam magnets but we are bless with a secondary condition where it leaks into the harness and causes thousands of dollars worth of damage. MB does have a part that isolates the harness from the cam magnet and it's fairly cheap.

The second most common major problem is the head design that causes misfire codes. The belief is the valves get dirty to the point of causing them to float. One fix that someone here was trying that was recomended by his dealer was stronger valve springs, haven't heard back if this fixes the problem. Most dealers typically fix this with a new head, figure $3,500 if it happens, but you are covered under warranty. Valve springs is probably a $500 repair, big difference.

But just because these are common on the forums, doesn't mean they are common in real life and some here have 150K miles without any problem.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I looked at upgrading but the C230 runs well, no problems and I don't drive much, but the real deal killer is what these cars are worth used. So for example, if you only get $10-12K for it, and you are happy with it, why sell it. My only problem to date is I get warning message about once a month that says my right rear turn signal is on, which it's not and then it goes away next time you start the car. Nobody has been able to fix it and it's not a big deal to me. It even has the original brake pads at 45K miles and I had 4 years of free maintenance. I think this has been the cheapest car to run (not counting resale which not so good).

The biggest known major problem is leaking cam magnets and all MB's have leaking cam magnets but we are bless with a secondary condition where it leaks into the harness and causes thousands of dollars worth of damage. MB does have a part that isolates the harness from the cam magnet and it's fairly cheap.

The second most common major problem is the head design that causes misfire codes. The belief is the valves get dirty to the point of causing them to float. One fix that someone here was trying that was recomended by his dealer was stronger valve springs, haven't heard back if this fixes the problem. Most dealers typically fix this with a new head, figure $3,500 if it happens, but you are covered under warranty. Valve springs is probably a $500 repair, big difference.

But just because these are common on the forums, doesn't mean they are common in real life and some here have 150K miles without any problem.

about that valve problem. i had my car serviced to a MB shop they told me there's a service bulletin on this issue on the c230k. true or not true? also another service bulletin on burning engine oil. please confirm. THANKS!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
No big problems. Had the sunroof thing happen..fixed under warranty. Will need new brakes, discs, etc. soon, but that's a maintenance item, and they've lasted 50,000 miles so far...

If you get a sport model with AMG styling, cover those fog lights with sturdy clear film to keep rocks from busting 'em up. They're expensive.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
about that valve problem. i had my car serviced to a MB shop they told me there's a service bulletin on this issue on the c230k. true or not true? also another service bulletin on burning engine oil. please confirm. THANKS!
Don't know, there's places to get this info, like the nhtsa website or alldata or ask the service dept to print out the bulletin for you. But having a service bulletin just means MB knows about it and is providing the info on how to fix it, it does not give you any rights to get it fixed at their cost unless you have a warranty.

I have not heard of any issue with excessive oil buring on this forum. Heck, my car goes 10K miles and never needs oil added.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Don't know, there's places to get this info, like the nhtsa website or alldata or ask the service dept to print out the bulletin for you. But having a service bulletin just means MB knows about it and is providing the info on how to fix it, it does not give you any rights to get it fixed at their cost unless you have a warranty.

I have not heard of any issue with excessive oil buring on this forum. Heck, my car goes 10K miles and never needs oil added.
They'll burn a little oil if you drive fast. Had to add a quart, once, over the last 20,000 miles. No big deal. Certainly not excessive; it even says something to that fact in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
5 Posts
mine 4 cyl with 60,000km; needed resynched sunroof (same problem as everyone else); SRS light code = driver airbag sensor replaced $450 not covered under manuf warranty(Toronto Canada); esp light intermittent = steering angle sensor wire loose connection (caused a "limp mode" a scary thing to have happen on hwy @ 100km and suddenly being jerked back to 3km - lucky wasn't killed). Otherwise a great drive and even better on open road. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I think you can click all the way to open, but not for closing...that's a safety feature in all Mercedes. You have to hold the switch in order to close...in case you're going to cut someone's finger, it will stop immediately when you take your hand off.
Not true.

·
Registered
6 Posts
MY UNDERSTANDING, I THINK IT SHOULD CLOSE ALL THE WAY WHEN U CLICK ALL THE WAY TO CLOSE AND NOT SWING BACK OPEN AS IT REACHES THE END. THATS TOTALLY USELESS AND DONT MAKE ANY SENSE AT ALL FOR IT TO BE DOING THAT.
I have a 98 C230.
My problem is with the front windows and side mirrors.
one day, the right window works- up and down, and some days the left window works, some days all front windows work, and most days none of the front windows work. same goes for the side mirrors. back windows no problem. frustrating.

anyone?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I have a 98 C230.
My problem is with the front windows and side mirrors.
one day, the right window works- up and down, and some days the left window works, some days all front windows work, and most days none of the front windows work. same goes for the side mirrors. back windows no problem. frustrating.

anyone?
You need to ask the w202 forum as this is the w203 forum. That said, it sounds like you have a loose connection and/or bad switches.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I have owned an 05 c230k since new and 42k miles now. it has been the most reliable car I've ever owned (only "repair" needed was the chrome trim peeling on cupholder, replaced free under warranty). on the sunroof not closing all the way, I had that issue awhile back, sometimes I had to try few times before it would close all the way (it would reverse when it was a few inches from being closed). here's how I fixed in 10 seconds at no cost: note where it is reversing direction and imagine a line across the sunroof at that point. then look closely at the spot on the driver side where that line intersects the opening. you may see a tiny metal tab that is sticking out. I pushed that tab in and the problem has never happened again.

·
Premium Member
16 Silverado CC LT 4WD, 12 BMW K1600GTL, 11 Infiniti G37, 10 Infiniti G37x
5,830 Posts
Continuing an old thread here, but since the subject pretty much what I'm also looking into, might as well continue here...

In my quest to find a new ride for my daughter, I have come across a 2005 C230K w/115K miles. Haven't driven it yet, maybe tomorrow, but thought I'd get some ideas here first as to what to look for and what to think about it with such miles. The price is right, so I'm seriously considering buying it if it runs/drives good.

Now... Onto the possible problems related to this one. The sunroof stuff has been discussed in this thread already, so no need for that.

What about M271 engine? What are the possible culprits with that? I think I've read something about the balancing shaft failing. Also something about valve/head problems? Oil in some connectors?

What about electrical stuff?

I know I'm looking at a car w/fairly high miles for an 05, but the price is really tempting (under 8K). That combination definitely comes with it's caveats... Hence checking here.

Any and all comments and ideas are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Continuing an old thread here, but since the subject pretty much what I'm also looking into, might as well continue here...

In my quest to find a new ride for my daughter, I have come across a 2005 C230K w/115K miles. Haven't driven it yet, maybe tomorrow, but thought I'd get some ideas here first as to what to look for and what to think about it with such miles. The price is right, so I'm seriously considering buying it if it runs/drives good.

Now... Onto the possible problems related to this one. The sunroof stuff has been discussed in this thread already, so no need for that.

What about M271 engine? What are the possible culprits with that? I think I've read something about the balancing shaft failing. Also something about valve/head problems? Oil in some connectors?

What about electrical stuff?

I know I'm looking at a car w/fairly high miles for an 05, but the price is really tempting (under 8K). That combination definitely comes with it's caveats... Hence checking here.

Any and all comments and ideas are appreciated.
At that mileage, I'd take a close look at all suspension components, look for transmission fluid change(s) which IMO should be done at 60K intervals, spark plugs at 72K or every 5 years, and regular/general maintenance fluid changes, and A/C maintenance.

I think the balance shaft and oily connectors occured on some models (earlier), but should've been addressed/replaced/etc under warranty. At this mileage, things will likely fail due to old age rather than typical recall or "open campaign" items as the mfg likes to call it. Service records would be a requirement for a car like this one.

Car might just have a lot hwy miles and be fairly "new" feeling. Electrical issues are likely, just make sure to push every button and lower your offer accordingly with every non-functioning item.

Take a code reader and plug it in and see what it tells you.

I plan on keeping my w203 into the high mileage years, so its of interest to me to see how these cars hold up.

·
Registered
2002 C230 Kompressor
110 Posts
Not specific to any car or make...

Whether highway mileage or not, at around 100,000 the rubber hoses that are in the line of engine heat have probably hardened. They will look perfectly fine, like a shiny hard plastic (think bakelyte from early telephones), but they used to be flexible rubber. Nickel-dime stuff if you can change them yourself, and will seal a lot of vacuum leakage that you may not even feel until it's gone.

earl

·
Premium Member
5,830 Posts
Thanks, guys!

I will definitely take a reader with me, just in case. I'm 99% sure I'm going to buy something tomorrow. Whether it is an E46 or W203 remains to be seen.

CarFax for this W203 shows even some recommended maintenance being performed at MB dealer, the latest being @ 96K miles, so at least something has been done to it. Since it is at a non-MB dealer, I doubt any records will be available, but I guess those could be obtained later on.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Not specific to any car or make...

Whether highway mileage or not, at around 100,000 the rubber hoses that are in the line of engine heat have probably hardened. They will look perfectly fine, like a shiny hard plastic (think bakelyte from early telephones), but they used to be flexible rubber. Nickel-dime stuff if you can change them yourself, and will seal a lot of vacuum leakage that you may not even feel until it's gone.

earl
+1. I actually had to replace a small vacuum hose at 60K miles...

·
Premium Member
5,830 Posts
Well... The W203 was nowhere to be found, of course...

So I went ahead and got an 01 E46 330i. :cool: Really nice car. My daughter fell in love the second she saw it. :p

At least there's still one MB in the family. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 C230 Kompressor
4 Posts
2005 c230 Kompressor 83k miles

Bushings on stabilizer arms were cracking ($700)
Sunroof would not close automatically.... (5 minutes cleaning the tracks with a $5 bottle of spray silicone)

Everything else is good!

21 - 40 of 56 Posts