Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
Last night I was happily driving to a party in my 1994 E220... I had 4 persons (inc myself) in the car with aircon on as there was a shower..
Anyway, got there, friends were getting out and as I was about to drive off after letting them off, I noticed that the car was idling at a really low rev (to be specific, it was around 100rpm).. This happened both in Neutral and in Drive. I tried giving it some throttle and the revs went up nicely, however dropping back to 100rpm...
I then shutted off the engine and restarted it and it was all back to normal again..
A friend suggested me to clean the Idle Control Valve but I have no idea where it is and how to do it..
Would any of you care to give some advice?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabriolet, 140K
1,332 Posts
I'm not sure where the idle control valve is, but the companion to this problem is the throttle butterfly. Deposits form on the bore around the throttle butterfly that need to be cleaned periodically. Solvent (such as WD-40) and a toothbrush are all you need.

BTW, is your engine wiring harness original? Considering the damp conditions and character of your problem, the original wiring harness may be developing an intermittent short.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
On your car the "throttle slide" is known to go bad w/ regularity. A good independant or the Stealer will be able to diagnose it for you.

Companies have started re-maning these and I have had very satisfied customers using them:)

Jonathan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts