Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody???? Common issues on rear sun shade, i changed the switch and still nothing, what fuse to check cause it seams to be working , plz advise

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a w211 2005 e320 CDI, rear shade motor seized and dealer wants $1600 to fix....looking on how to get the motor out and fix it myself

·
Registered
'00 w163 55 amg (sold) '02 w208 55 amg '03 w163 350 inspiration
711 Posts
Anybody???? Common issues on rear sun shade, i changed the switch and still nothing, what fuse to check cause it seams to be working , plz advise
jajar, I empathize with your malfunctioning shade. I've used the search button in this forum using rear + sun + shade & found common issues you refer to back to '00. I've had my '55 since 9/08 & can remember reading in this forum that the shade is a pretty common fault area of the clk--especially considering the plasticky parts associated with it's operability.
This seems more often the culprit than an electrical fizzle--that I have noticed here.
I don't use mine that often so I can't give you a magic bullet but would suggest you see the following I found from 2000. before you start replacing motors, etc. verify that the device will respond to the command, make sure the rear deck has no obstructions, but also search the E class forums too, I think you will find an electrical explanation there as well.
Please report back your findings...:surrender:

: Has anyone noticed this but when I put my sunshade up or down, it shakes and doesn't go down smoothly like when you put the windows down. Is this normal ? I tried it out for the first time yesterday and this is the first thing I noticed. Thanks guys.<p>Frank<p>The sunshade has wheel guides (one on each end corner) to guide the shade as it moves up/down the rear glass. Verify that the wheels are actually making contact with the glass and that they are not being forced to hard into the window causing excess friction/pressure. This could generate an unstable effect as you move the shade up/down. Should be a simple adjustment.<p>Mr. Vanos

·
Registered
2015 GL550
106 Posts
Rear shade problem

I have a w211 2005 e320 CDI, rear shade motor seized and dealer wants $1600 to fix....looking on how to get the motor out and fix it myself
Did you ever pursue the problem with your rear window shade? I have a '98 W140 (S500) that the rear window shade that is stuck in the up position and will not retract. Where is the motor located and how hard is it to get to?

Tks
Bob

·
Registered
'00 w163 55 amg (sold) '02 w208 55 amg '03 w163 350 inspiration
711 Posts
Did you ever pursue the problem with your rear window shade? I have a '98 W140 (S500) that the rear window shade that is stuck in the up position and will not retract. Where is the motor located and how hard is it to get to?

Tks
Bob
sympathies Bob. not to overload but to clarify. when you activate switch do you get a response?...i.e. hear a motor, hear anything? As I suggest, it can only be 3 things; the activator itself, or fuse, or the dumb plasticky gears for up/down function are now misaligned, clogged, or jammed.
I can't diagnose but try the fuse and try to wd40 the gear mechanisms before I would replace motor.

·
Registered
2015 GL550
106 Posts
sympathies Bob. not to overload but to clarify. when you activate switch do you get a response?...i.e. hear a motor, hear anything? As I suggest, it can only be 3 things; the activator itself, or fuse, or the dumb plasticky gears for up/down function are now misaligned, clogged, or jammed.
I can't diagnose but try the fuse and try to wd40 the gear mechanisms before I would replace motor.
Thanks. I do not hear the motor when I hit the switch and I cannot find any mention of a fuse for the shade. I looked in both fuse boxes, one under the hood and one in the trunk.

Tks
Bob

·
Registered
2015 GL550
106 Posts
Thanks. I do not hear the motor when I hit the switch and I cannot find any mention of a fuse for the shade. I looked in both fuse boxes, one under the hood and one in the trunk.

Tks
Bob
It is fuse #35, not noted on the fuse box cover under the hood! The wiring diagram shows the fuse, the switch and the motor, that's all there is to the shade. Now to tear into the switch or the rear deck??? sigh...:(

Bob
'98 S500

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was able to repair my rear sunshade and save me $1700. The motor is stuck. The bearing cover inside the motor housing is loose therefore when the motor is activated, the pressure from the gear pushes the motor shaft backwards and therefore it gets stuck and will not turn.

You will notice if your motor is stuck if the motor shaft is sticking out on the rear housing my 1/2".

I wouldn't recomment doing this if you don't know how to put things back together.

·
Registered
W124, W203, W204, W251
121 Posts
I was able to repair my rear sunshade and save me $1700. The motor is stuck. The bearing cover inside the motor housing is loose therefore when the motor is activated, the pressure from the gear pushes the motor shaft backwards and therefore it gets stuck and will not turn.

You will notice if your motor is stuck if the motor shaft is sticking out on the rear housing my 1/2".

I wouldn't recomment doing this if you don't know how to put things back together.
I just got the same problem and the shaft does stick out by 1/2"
How did you fix it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I assume you already disassembly the sun shade.

I can't recall where to hammer the bearing cover, if you would take a picture of the bearing cover, I can help you guide through.

Mine is working perfectly now since I made the fix. But it was really, really tough (and pain in the a$$) to take everything out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear all,
I'm driving a 2001 W203 C240 & I too have this problem of the shade not functioning. The sun shade which is in the 'down' position refuse to move. At one time when I tried to by pressing the switch the was a 'tuck' sound from the shade. Wonder why it was like that?

·
Registered
clk55 amg
119 Posts
In my 2001 clk55 amg, pressing the switch up or down results in motor sounds, but no movement of the sunshade. One suggestion was some wd40 applied to the plastic gears. Can said gears be accessed from below, in the trunk, to avoid disassembly of the package tray?

·
Registered
2008 E320 V6 Sedan
2 Posts
Hello.
I recently bought the E320 and I have an atypical problem with sun shade.
The shade was in the lower position.
However, after pressing the button, nothing happens. First, I exchanged the relay for a new one, with no result.
After pressing a button you can hear a click of the relay but the motor does not work.
The next step was to check the motor, after connecting to the 12V power supply the motor works quite well. The sprockets in the transmission at the motor are ok.
I decided to connect the motor but with polarity change
The effect, after pressing the button, the shade worked. However, the next press did not give a reaction. The shade was in the upper position. Changing the poles again and pressing the button - the shade hides. Next pressing - no reaction.
From these tests, I assume that the motor is operational, the relay and the button also functioning.
But still have the problem.
Has anyone had a similar problem, or knows a solution.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello.
However, after pressing the button, nothing happens. First, I exchanged the relay for a new one, with no result.
After pressing a button you can hear a click of the relay but the motor does not work.
The next step was to check the motor, after connecting to the 12V power supply the motor works quite well. The sprockets in the transmission at the motor are ok.
The effect, after pressing the button, the shade worked. However, the next press did not give a reaction. The shade was in the upper position. Changing the poles again and pressing the button - the shade hides. Next pressing - no reaction.
From these tests, I assume that the motor is operational, the relay and the button also functioning.
You ever figure this out I have the same problem

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello.
I have same problem. Did you solve it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The good news is that I fixed the problem, the bad news was that the rear SAM module was to be replaced and had to be reprogrammed .I bought a used module at a good price and my friend borrowed a computer witch MB STAR DIAGOSIS. It wasn't that hard, actually. If you have the same symptoms as me, I recommend trying to re-program the SAM module, as it will not help, it is to be replaced.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts