Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed a factory COMMAND unit after they bought the car? I heard it can't be done.<br>
<br>
<p>KATIES

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cars ordered without command don't have the necessary connections...

to make it work. Fiber optic cables are different, etc. Same like when a car is prewired for a CD changer. If it isn't, you have to run the wire all the way to the back.<p>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It can be done, its a lot of work though [see inside]

A new loom needs installing [the fibre optic loom is the same, its the copper loom that needs doing], *and* the rear windscreen is different - different aerials, although its not clear to me whether its only for the additional aerials needed for TV or not ..<br> <br> Ive replaced the rear section of the COMAND loom [from COMAND backward] and that was signifcant work [I added one with TV - Im in the UK] - theres a lot of cables in the front half of the loom to do aswell ....<br> <br> To do that, most of the interior, including the centre console, trunk lining, head lining, parcel shelf etc etc etc [but not the dash, seats or front door trims] needs removing<br> <br> You also need to buy the parts, and just the COMAND unit is a lot more than the option price, and Im not convinced that a second-hand unit from Ebay in germany will work with the USA maps<br> <br> [but if someone wants to send me a USA map disk, i'll try it on my Euro COMAND and see if it even recognises it, although the US maps wont be useful in the UK ;-)]<br> <br> Cheers,<br> <br> R<p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts