Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 S500 4matic, 2004 CL55 AMG, 1986 560SEC
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04' CL55's battery died in the cold weather last night.
When I got in the car this morning, I hit the keyless go and the starter cranked for a split second and then nothing- I realized then that the battery was dead.
I manually opened the trunk and put a charger on the battery for 10-15 minutes until it had enough juice and it fired right up.

I left the charger on all day and when I drove the car this evening, I noticed the Command unit won't power up. The CD and Navi disc players in the trunk have power and I can removed and insert discs but the Command is totally dead. The display on the dash says 'no malfunctions' but the Audio, Phone and Navi all just show --- on the dash display.

When I hooked up the charger, the ignition was off and there were no sparks.
I also connected the charger to the battery BEFORE I plugged the charger in to avoid any sparks. I checked the fuses in f24 and f25 and nothing is blown.

Are there any other fuses in these Bose/Command units that are not listed on the fuse chart (like on the unit itself).
I'm at a loss as to why this all of a sudden stopped working.
Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Thanks!
Elm

·
Registered
'02 CL500
376 Posts
MB advises to disconnect the battery before charging as any spikes in power to the electronics of the car can cause damage. Hopefully the problem is something simple and someone will advise on fuses. Good luck.

·
Registered
2004 CL500
362 Posts
MB advises to disconnect the battery before charging as any spikes in power to the electronics of the car can cause damage. Hopefully the problem is something simple and someone will advise on fuses. Good luck.
I have a 2 amp (12v) battery maintainer I was thinking about using to prevent the battery from draining while sitting (it gets quite cold here)> is it OK to use this while the battery's still in the car or do I still have to disconnect it?

·
Registered
'02 CL500
376 Posts
I have a 2 amp (12v) battery maintainer I was thinking about using to prevent the battery from draining while sitting (it gets quite cold here)> is it OK to use this while the battery's still in the car or do I still have to disconnect it?
I don't know but personally, I would not do it, especially since it only takes a few seconds to disconnect the battery's ground cable (you don't have to remove the battery from the car). This is not to say that you can't get away with it, but to me it's just not worth taking a chance of cooking an electronic component. MB tells you not to do it and that's good enough for me.

·
Registered
2004 CL500
362 Posts
I don't know but personally, I would not do it, especially since it only takes a few seconds to disconnect the battery's ground cable (you don't have to remove the battery from the car). This is not to say that you can't get away with it, but to me it's just not worth taking a chance of cooking an electronic component. MB tells you not to do it and that's good enough for me.
Understood. That being said, once I disconnect the negative cable, am I going to have any problems w/ COMAND, etc. once it's reconnected? Will anything need to be reset or calibrated?

·
Registered
'02 CL500
376 Posts
Understood. That being said, once I disconnect the negative cable, am I going to have any problems w/ COMAND, etc. once it's reconnected? Will anything need to be reset or calibrated?
When a battery is disconnected on these cars, it becomes necessary to resynchronize a couple of systems which takes only a few seconds. One is turn the steering wheel (car started) fully to the left and then to the right. The other is to lower and then raise each window and hold the switch in the closed position for a few seconds. The same should be done with the moon roof.

·
Registered
2004 CL500
362 Posts
When a battery is disconnected on these cars, it becomes necessary to resynchronize a couple of systems which takes only a few seconds. One is turn the steering wheel (car started) fully to the left and then to the right. The other is to lower and then raise each window and hold the switch in the closed position for a few seconds. The same should be done with the moon roof.
Thanks Jud. I also heard something about a "radio code". Does the COMAND require some type of code after it has been disconnected?

·
Registered
'02 CL500
376 Posts
Thanks Jud. I also heard something about a "radio code". Does the COMAND require some type of code after it has been disconnected?
I have never had a problem with my '02 CL500 having to insert a code to get the radio working or for that mater any part of the Comand system, and I have had my battery disconnected many times during the six years I've had it. One poster mentioned he had to do it but it later came to light that he had a CLK. If you're concerned about it on your '04, call MB USA hdqts in NJ at 800 for-merc and ask for the tech dept. They will answer all your questions, I believe, even if means doing some research. Let us know how you make out if you call as this is how we all learn here on the Forum. You might also ask about the MB 2 amp charger and if it is suggested to disconnect the batt. when in use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts