Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious...can you install a command unit into a vehicle ('01) with the basic HU? I am guessing you can but was really curious how much it would cost and what was involved.<br> <br> Thanks<br> JB

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Retrofitting a COMAND is not very difficult. I have posted my result in the E55 forum and the galleries. Go check it out and if you want to do it let me know.<br> <br> John

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John, <br>
when you retro-fitting COMAND, where and how did you install GPS antenna? and the part #? I have '02 C-class, and thinking retro-fitting COMAND, got most problem figured out including the C2 socket. The GPS thing is still a mystery to me. Thanks in advance for infos.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
use an aftermarket antenna

Hello,<br> <br> I didn't bother to tap into the car's antenna system; it was too much hassle and would cost more. I used an aftermarket GPS antenna from Blaupunkt. I had to modify the connector of the Blaupunkt antenna so it can fit into the COMAND. Later I found out you can buy the antenna from www.synergy-gps.com with the proper connector( Hirosi, square-type connector) from only $30/each. The only problem is the minimum order is $50.00 so you will need to buy 2. The antenna comes with 5-6 meter cable so you can install the atenna where ever you want. I installed my right next to the 3rd. break light in the back. The model for the antenna is SMA-35. I know it works because I have referred someone to them and his COMAND is working fine.<br> <br> John<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: use an aftermarket antenna

John, <br>
thanx for the info. Two last questions. 1) Do you think I can install GPS antenna under front dash board? so the wire won't have to go all the way to the back of car? 2) I have '02 C-class, is it easier to get original GPS for W203 COMAND 2.0 from dealer? and have them install?? thank you<br>
<br>
appreciate your help.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

You will get better reception if you mount the antenna in a visible position. I ran the cable from under the dash, through the wire channel under the door and to the back. I can barely see the wire.<br> <br> Don't bother to ask the dealer for this because they probably won't install anything for you( GPS and COMAND). Do you have the rooftop antenna already? If you do, you will need to tap into the existing antenna and run a splitter from the Teleaid unit. Assuming W203 has similar design in antenna as my E55.<br> <br> John

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

John, <br>
sorry for bothering you again, just that thew GPS thing seems like a bottleneck to me. <br>
I do have rooftop antenna for teleaid, Do I really need to install a spliter for that? what happen if not? Do you have Part# for the splitter?<br>
I got a German COMAND now, after everything is done, do I have to bring back to dealer to re-setup??<br>
Do you have previous post or website regarding retrofitting COMAND??<br>
<br>
sorry for throwing you more questions, I am at the point of no return for retro-fitting COMAND, so please help :) much appreciated....<br>
<br>
adi

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John, Please email

hi John, <br>
I did some research and read your previous post, gee, it's very informative ! Is it possible for you to email me retro-fit COMAND procedure step by step??<br>
If it's too much trouble, Please at least guide me the connection of C2 plug and GPS connection/installation part. <br>
<br>
When I view your posted pictures, there's a 'SPEED SIGNAL' plug, is it necessary? cuz you didn't mention it in your post??<br>
<br>
Hope after your guidance, I can post my experiences about retrofitting COMAND for W203 C-class and even collect others making a website. <br>
<br>
My email is :[email protected]<br>
Appreciate your help !!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Antenna for sale, I purchased 2

JB, <br> I purschased 2 antenna (min order$), so if you need on I have one for sale.<br> <br> Stewaart

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Antenna for sale, I purchased 2

What model, any part#?? and how much? I am doing COMAND retrofitting, might need one. Please send more info, thx.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Antenna for sale, I purchased 2

Still have the antenna for sale? <br> Any successful story of retrofitting COMMAND on W203 C class??

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would really like to see your installation instructions. Since the galleries portion of this site is down, could you email me your installation instructions. I am in the middle of installing a command system into a 2002 c230. Everything seems to work except the audio.<br> I'm hoping your instructions can help me find the problems.<br> Thanks

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello,<br> <br> Do you have the Bose system in your car? The COMAND 2.0 'may' only work if you have the Bose system but don't quote me on it. Try this URL link I have attached. It is for W203 installation. Good luck and let me know if you need anything else.<br> <br> John

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
John,<br> Thanks for the responce. The only problem is its in german. Do you know of a english link. Yes I do have bose.<br> I think my problem does lie with the wiring. The command only has 2 wires and I think my audio problems lie with how these two are connected.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts