Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I´ve found a command system(original)really cheap and I´m wondering what you need to put in to my c-class. I have the original Audio 10CD now. The seller says that for the navigation to work you don't need anything special, just take the old out and hook up the new. Is this true??

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wouldn't you need the GPS antena mounted somewhere

And you will likely need map CDs for your area. If you have concerns, I bought an Audio 10 CD from Germany from a guy that put in the navigation system, his email is [email protected] His english isn't that good so if you can converse in German that would help.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He is B.S.ing you!! I have looked into it and it is very difficult. You need a special wiring harness from the MB factory and you need to find a MB tech to do it. If you do it yourself or have a non-certified MB tech do it and they f it up, you're screwed. Odds are if they screw it up, they won't be able to fix it and you'll have to pay for a repair. Its very hard to even find a MB tech who will do such a hard task and they'll probally try to charge you a ton for it. If you do find a simpler way, please post it, along with before and after pics because I'm very interested in doing it if possible. It just seems too expensive and labor intensive to retro-fit a COMMAND. You could also get any aftermarket nav. and screen and use a FM modulater to get sound through the factory head unit and not mess up the steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Followup.. I didn't realize, he could have the antena if he has teleaid...

Teleaid, GPS and phone use the same antena and the signal is filtered using a splitter in the back of the headunit.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're techincally inclined, it's possible....

One guy from the E-Class forum installed the COMAND system in his E430. Everything works, from the steering wheel controls to the display panel in the instrument cluster.<br> <br> I have succesfully installed the MCS (ML navi system) into my CLK. A bit of wiring from the trunk to the front and antennae wiring but everything works as well.

·
Registered
c240 avantgarde aut.
1 Posts
comand instalation only one hour!!!!!!! easy

comand instalation is verry easy i have installed 12 comands in c-class and 4 in ml-class and 3 in e-class
and 4 comands from e-class in vw bora/jetta
if someone needs tips or info just mail me
greatings from holland

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 C320 Sedan, 1992 400e sedan
302 Posts
I agree Tim, it's easy

To install the comand system, it's pretty easy. You will need to get a connector and splice 2 wires to move them to a seperate connector on the back of the comand system. These are the d2b bus wires. YEs, the car does have the antenna already on it but I have seen most people add a second antenna. You will have to get the system activated through MB so it can display directions on the screen in the dash. AM stations will not work properly if you get a euro model. That's it. The nice thing is that the drive and display are integrated into one unit. Unlike, BMW, you have to modify a harness in the car to add NAV and it can be a real pain and expensive too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts