Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i just purchased a 2004 s55 amg, the problem im having is when i try to turn the command on it turn on for a few seconds then displays a message saying system unavailable then it says sound unavailable and immediately turns off. I went to look in the back of the car and seems someone had a bunch of stuff unhooked so i hooked most of it back and it still doing it. Iv read about the fiber optics and how one bad thing can cause it all not to work. So my first question is from what its doing can i narrow down what is not working and my second question is how many boxes or electronic units should there be in the back i see 4 things but there are still so unplugged wires and all 4 things are plugged up all the way. 1 looks like an amp(has a small fan), then there is something metal attached to that with wires in it, then there are 2 black boxes stacked on top of each other. im also in the proccess of getting the fiber optic bypass coupler to help find the problem but any help would be great!!! thanks mike

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
Welcome to the forum, mike4387 - and congratulations on having done your research!!

You recognize the problem - you are exactly correct that the open fiber optic loop caused the COMAND unit to shut down. The phone bulletin for the '04 S-Class will help you to locate where the connections go, and to get them in the right order. Phone Bulletins

The steps in the "audio problems" links of the W220 S-Class Encyclopedia will help you check individual components with the bypass coupler you ordered. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1508080-w220-s-class-encyclopedia-start-here.html - especially the links under "no audio."

In the electronics bay, the two "black boxes" on top are 1) The navigation DVD reader; 2) the 6-disc CD changer. Below those, the black box with the ribs is the Bose amplifier. On the back side of the amplifier bracket is what is called an "AGK Unit" - which is replaced by the Voice Control Module if you have voice control (check your steering column for a stalk on the right side; if it is there, you have voice control). The other silver box is the CP-211 PSE for your phone system (you can read about that, and also those that are updated for Bluetooth, at post #4, http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1313173-how-guide-cell-phone-upgrades-plug.html Last, there could be a box for a Sirius radio, if a prior owner installed one. The instructions for that came with the unit itself; it is not shown in the phone bulletin.

One thing that could be a problem for you is re-connecting items out of sequence in the loop. While there is a diagram in the phone bulletin, there is nothing to tell you where every connector goes. It may take some playing around; unfortunately, only some of the connectors are identified in the phone bulletins. I'd photograph my car's bay for you, but it uses different equipment from yours, in different physical locations.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the reply!!! Yes i sent some time researching potential problems and narrowed mine down to an issue with one the devices them once i got box out the back firewall i realized that half of it was completely unlplugged!!! ill try to get a picture and update it on here but like i said i still have some unplugged connectors that have no home so i feel like im missing something. I was thinking of buying 4 of the bypass couplers and hooking them all up at once just to see if the head unit would work then working my way down hooking one unit up at a time. Would that work and would 4 be enough for everything or would i need more couplers?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
maybe this will help. this is what i opened it up and it looked like. a mess!!! So im trying to figure out in picture 2 which one of the orange fiber optics is the in and which one is the out. Is the in the one with the black box or the one with just the wire thanks again.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
When you look at the fiber ends with power on, the one with (red) light is the output from the preceding device; it is the input to the next device. If neither has light, the preceding device is not powered up.

I can only speculate as to why anyone would leave a car in that condition; but here is one effort. In the '04, the CP-211 phone support equipment contains both the Tele-Aid module and the device referred to as a "PSE" in other phone systems. The Tele-Aid system is a dedicated cell phone that can only be programmed to go to the Tele-Aid service (or to MBRACE in the later MHI systems); the PSE is the module portion that supports your personal cell phone.

However, the Tele-Aid module is strictly analog, and the analog service in the U.S. was taken down more than 2 years ago, and its bandwidth reassigned (mainly) to WiFi purposes. Folks would sometimes have spurious activity, trouble indications, etc. due to the loss of the analog signal on the Tele-Aid system. Many MB dealers would not disable the Tele-Aid portion of the system, believing they somehow violated the law if they did (this is NOT true; no law is violated). One can disable Tele-Aid vis the DAS system that all dealers have, and MB has put out a tech bulletin telling them how to do it.

Disabling Tele-Aid does not disable the rest of the CP-211, which has both digital and analog capability; your modern digital phones will work just fine with it, even with Tele-Aid disabled.

Anyway, it's just a guess - but I suspect that someone disconnected the CP-211 module to "cure" the malfunction indications or other problems they saw, and took the whole system down. See if that silver module next to the amp is connected (not the one on the amp bracket itself, but the one next to it).

Of course, of the PO did the self-help I suspect, he may not have stopped with the CP-211, and could have made additional (and arbitrary) changes trying to put things right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The silver box was disconnected whenever I started researching what was wrong as well as the amp was unhooked but i hooked it all back up. I'm not sure If this helps but I do get an error on my dash saying tele aid has a malfunction and to service it. It's crazy to my why Mercedes used fiber optics for an audio system that was so simple. I noticed most of the fiber optic plugs were the same for each device, does it matter what order they r hooked up or just that they r all hooked up and working?i figure if I start out and bypass everything with 4 adapters one on each device I can hook one thing up at a time to fine the culprit I'm I correct in assuming that will work bypassing everything?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also the silver box above the amp is missing a connector on the other side I cant seem to find it. It is about 2 inches long. Also I believe u r right about then trying to fix the malfunction I found a few analog cables in the wiring unhooked

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
Yes, it does matter what order they are hooked up in. I believe you have a very good approach in bypassing all of the devices, then adding them in one-by-one (in fact i was going to suggest that earlier, but it would require 4 bypass connectors).

Because there are so many possibilities for sequence of connections, you have your work cut out for you. It will require patience, and I suggest marking the cables as you go, and keeping a record of how they were connected and what the result was.

The sequence you want is in the box diagram in the '04 S-Class phone bulletin I gave you before. I suggest that once you get one device working, note where it is in the diagram and then try to connect one device on either side of it - when you get a connection that works for 2 devices, go to one of the devices on either side of ONE of the working devices, and proceed that way.

I must admit, I have not used that process, or seen any system so messed up from the outset. We're both learning.

If you can photograph the connector on the silver box for which you are missing something, it may help identify what it should go to. Or, perhaps you can identify where it is with the figures and photo labels in the phone bulletin.

One more thought: You can see and check your MOST ring configuration on the COMAND screen. I'll try to tell you how in the next post.

If you cannot restore the original configuration, it will be necessary for a tech with a good understanding of DAS to set up the version coding again. But there is a way, don't lose hope.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I. Ordered 6 of those connectors from Mercedes they r cheap and much better than payin the dealer $110 an hour lol. I will try my method and use the diagram to see if I can find the problem. Thanks so much for the help, the connectors will be here on Monday so I'll get started on it then. I'll update as I work through it with what I find mabye it will teach us both something and help someone out in the future. I'll also get a picture of the missing connector to help identify what it is I believe it's the pse unit/ voice control. Wish me luck!!!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
OK, to check your MOST components, press the MUTE key (yours should say "Mute" but some may have a speaker with a slash) and the 1 key and the 3 key, simultaneously. MUTE+1+3 and hold, for about 10 seconds or until you see the screen in the first photo below. Select MOST Status, which will bring up the Configuration screen in the second photo.

Note - click on the photos to enlarge them.

From there, select Actual Configuration. That screen, 3rd photo, should show you what equipment COMAND (actually, the Audio Gateway, which is the bus controller) shows as being on the bus - whether it is connected or not. You can compare that with the Default Configuration list (4th photo) to see if you have what you should. Please note that your car's equipment will likely show different codes than mine. However, note that as you scroll down the Actual Configuration menu, the equipment actually detected on the bus is shown (e.g., the "AGW" shown in the Notice column).

The Components button will let you read out info about the specific components, but doesn't tell you much. What I don't know is, if a component is not recognized on the loop, whether you would be able to even see it in the list in the Components screen. I doubt it. Perhaps that provides another way to tell if a device is in the loop; on the other hand, it may just provide data from the default configuration.

The Diagnosis menu is not useful to the owner; I hoped it would give you something useful, but it doesn't.

I wouldn't make changes in the System menu; you could reset your COMAND to original settings, and it could wind up speaking German to you - among other things.

Last - you may come across discissions on how to get into the Engineering or "secret" menus. I do not recommend doing that - you could screw up your COMAND.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh that is awesome that will be so much help in determining what's wrong with it thank you do much for taking the time to help me with this all of the mb were no help at all they just wanted me to come in and spend a fortune u know. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so i tried to bypass all the equipment and am still getting the system unavailable message on the command, im out of ideas on this one, i even bypassed device under the passenger seat. Is there a way i can just install an aftermarket radio and wire it into the existing speakers bypassing all the other equipment including the amplifier?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
Yes, you can - see http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1618981-removing-command-system.html

Though it is a lot of work, it is probably less work that what you are facing under the circumstances.

I suggest that you consult a high-end audio shop with MB experience. You might want to consider something along the lines of a Pioneer, Alpine or Kenwood HU, an Audion Bit-1 processor, and some good amps - one for the main speakers, and a separate one for the sub.

Personally I like the Kenwood Excelon line - among other things, it uses the Garmin OS for navigation, and I find that excellent - but the others are good, too.

You can keep the Bose speakers, but read the link for the constraints; they're 2-Ohm speakers, where most are 4. They can be easily blown by an overpowered amp, and they can blow an underpowered one.

I do not think you will be very happy by simply connecting an HU direct to the speakers (tapping in at the Bose amp's outputs). Your amp contains the active EQ necessary for the Bose speakers. You might get close to what you want with a good audio processor, but you won't get there with the EQ available on most HUs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah you make a very good point with the speakers being 2 ohm I will definetaly need a good amp to support the speakers and a good head unit as well. Couple of other questions, do you how many speakers are in my car and do you know where i can find a wiring diagram. and the second, is there a cheaper alternative to the double din dash kit the cheapest i could find was about 80 bucks, what about running a single din like this one for a c class i just dont know if they have the same command and dash setup.

2001 - 2004 Mercedes C Class Radio Installation Dash Mount Kit | eBay

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also im trying to find out what size speakers are in the front and rear doors, iv done research and cant seem to find out exactly what size they are, iv read some saying they are 4", some saying 5.25", and some saying to just go with a 6.5 all the way around little confused on that one if you could help out i think that the route i will go thanks again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts