Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received the Command 2.0 I bid from Ebay from Germany. I only plug in the main ISO socket(plug A/B) and the unit power up without problem. I am able to use the radio for now. There is 3 more wires to be install; CAN-Bus/hi, CAN-Bus/low, and D2B wakup. All 3 wires are located and connected to the back of the Becker radio so installation is easy. I just order the mounting kit and the birds eye maple wood console today and they should come in 3-4 weeks( have to ship from Germany) I will post updates for those who are interested. Once the installation is complete and 100% functional, I will post pictures. Here are some of the cost so far,<br> <br> Command 2.0 $550.00<br> FedEx shipping $88.00<br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes we are interested. Please document your installation.

If you can, email it to me and I'll compile it.<br> <br> Thanks<br> Frank

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need a Command unit without CAN-Bus

I just installed the mounting unit( what a bitch to install!!!)and the Command unit. Just about everything works; CD changer, telephone, voice activation, steering wheel control, and yes I am still able to start my car!!!(thank god I did not short any electrical connection) I do not have GPS antenna hook up yet so I haven't test the navigation. I still waiting for the wood panel from the dealer to complete the installation.<br> <br> 1997 model does not have steering wheel control therefore it does not have CAN-Bus network. You need a Command unit w/o CAN-Bus, In Germany, that model will be A210 820 4889 but I am not sure that will work in USA( I am from New York) Go to www.megacomm.de and use the translation.lycos.com to translate the website. This will help you to get an idea what the retrofit involves. Also start searching the www.ebay.de for the right Command unit.<br> <br> John J

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am very interest the commnad unit also, I even try to put a after market Alpine unit under the radio but the cost was just too high I will really like to get more detail from if you have time good luck on the job finish hope everything go okay (I own a 01 E55 with grey/black int.)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Installation almost complete!!!

Everything except the GPS antenna and wood dash are installed. CD-changer, phone, voice activation, and steer wheel control all functional. I need to find out where the GPS adaptor from the roof top antenna goes and I am waiting for the front dash and the instruction manual from the dealer. It is not very difficult to do this. As long you have the right parts and proper wire schematics, you can do this within 6 hours. You need to go to your dealer and find out with model of Command 2.0 is compatible with your car. Then you will need to look for it in German Ebay( www.ebay.de) You shouldn't pay more than $700,00US for the Command unit. My dealer wanted $6000 for the Command unit and I almost laugh my head off. I recommended to go to www.megacomm.de with //translation.lycos.com to learn more about the installation process. I will gather all the info and pictures after the holiday and post it. Here are the list of costs so far.<br> <br> Command 2.0 $550.00<br> FedEx shipping 88.00<br> Tax and duties waiting to find out<br> mounting unit and<br> adaptors 40.00<br> Wood dash 300.00<br> <br> Installing the mounting unit is the most difficult of all. I had to cut of the old one and heavily trimmed off the new unit in order to get it into the console. If I have to do it again, I would spend $300.00 to have the body shop install it. Let me know how are you doing with your research and e-mail if you have any question.<br> <br> John J<br> <br> 2002 E55 AMG

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Installation complete!!!( except GPS antenna)

I hope I attach the picture properly. If it does not show up, just go to the gallery and look under John's E55. You will find pictures there. The Comand unit is working fine. I will install the antenna cable once the weather gets better here in Buffalo. It looks just like the factory installation and only cost roughly $1200.00!!!<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Installation complete!!!( except GPS antenna)

- Did you by any chance get to ask the dealer if they could install it for you?, I’m more than willing to install it my self but I’m concern about the electrical shortage that might occur, the same concerns you had during your installation process. <br> (I’m still under the manufacturer’s warranty and God forbid I screw that up!!) <br> <br> - Another question regarding the warranty is, is the Nav-Sys covered by the warranty?, By Mercedes Manufacturer?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Installation complete!!!( except GPS antenna)

- Did you by any chance get to ask the dealer if they could install it for you?, I’m more than willing to install it my self but I’m concern about the electrical shortage that might occur, the same concerns you had during your installation process. <br>
(I’m still under the manufacturer’s warranty and God forbid I screw that up!!) <br>
<br>
- Another question regarding the warranty is, is the Nav-Sys covered by the warranty?, By Mercedes Manufacturer?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dealer won't install it

Hello em2023,<br> <br> The dealer never thought it was possible to retrofit so they never ask to do it. My service techs were very helpful in pointing out want not to do and provide technical hints. I guess they don't do anything unless is published in the MB bulletin. My car is a 2002 E55 and I was concern about the warranty also. So I took the precaution of not irreversibly altering anything when I tested my Comand 2.0 initially. I only proceed with the installation once I determine everything is working properly. I did extensive research on wiring schematic/ layout and on information I obtained on the internet. There are only 5 wires to modify and I work on 1 wire at a time to prevent any chance of shorting the circuit. If you are not comfortable cutting the wires ask the dealer tech to do this( my tech decline). Make sure you have all the parts ready. You don't want any loose wires while you waiting for parts to come. All the wires are color coded and it is standardized between the radio and the Comand units. The biggest hassle will be installing the reinforcement/ mounting unit. This should be your biggest headache. I recommend to let a Mercedes authorized body shop do this.<br> <br> Since I bought my unit over the ebay, in Germany, there is no warranty with the unit. If it malfunction, it will have to send to a Blaunpunkt/Bosch service station. Now if you acquire the unit from the dealer, then it should come with warranty. But the cost for a Command 2.0 is $6000 according to my dealer. With that money I can buy at least 7 Comand units from ebay. You should consult with Frank, the moderator. He has just installed a ML-class navigation unit into his CLK and he is very knowledgable. I ask him for help and advice frequently. If you are able to obtain a US version of Comand 2.0, go for it. It will a lot cheaper than trading your car in for a new car with Comand 2.0. <br> <br> John J

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Yes we are interested. Please document your installation.

To: John<br> Have you ever used an aftermarket GPS or have used one? (ie: Alpine, Sony, Pioneer, etc…) have you compared the difference between Stock Mercedes Benz GPS vs. Aftermarket GPS? Which one’s better? Or has the most features? <br> <br> I tried going to this http://www.megacomm.de/ website with the use of the Translator to learn more about the installation process but I could not find where I could learn more about the installation process?<br> <br> Have you posted the step-by-step installation procedure somewhere else in this web site? or on another web site? because I tried looking for it but could not find it?<br> I read Frank’s (from www.MBNZ.org ) request regarding the step-by-step installation procedure and I too am interested in obtaining the installation procedure. If you can Pls. Email to me at [email protected]<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes we are interested. Please document yuor installation

To: John<br>
Have you ever used an aftermarket GPS or have used one? (ie: Alpine, Sony, Pioneer, etc…) have you compared the difference between Stock Mercedes Benz GPS vs. Aftermarket GPS? Which one’s better? Or has the most features? <br>
<br>
I tried going to this http://www.megacomm.de/ website with the use of the Translator to learn more about the installation process but I could not find where I could learn more about the installation process?<br>
<br>
Have you posted the step-by-step installation procedure somewhere else in this web site? or on another web site? because I tried looking for it but could not find it?<br>
I read Frank’s (from www.MBNZ.org ) request regarding the step-by-step installation procedure and I too am interested in obtaining the installation procedure. If you can Pls. Email to me at [email protected]

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: You need a Command unit without CAN-Bus

You read my mind.<br> <br> I recently purchased a new 2001 CLK%% w/o the COMMAND/NAV system. I really admire your nerve in putting this unit in. Will you provide me with details (more than on this site) so that I can can install it my my vehicle.<br> <br> I would be grateful for your help.<br> <br> Thanks,<br> <br> Michael

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still interested in the retrofit?

Hello Michael,<br> <br> If you are still interested in the retofit just e-mail me and I will give you all the details. I just helped a guy install a COMAND in his CLK430 and he is very happy with it. Let me know.<br> <br> John/ JohnAMG

1 - 17 of 17 Posts