Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Volvo S80 V8 AWD Sport
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The MB site is not very informative on this.

What will the COMMAND HU (no NAV) give me that the standard HU doesn't other than the larger and brighter screen?

Also, does anybody have photos of this screen in action, i.e. extra features, etc.?

TIA!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump

Anybody please? :confused:

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
The European version will play DVD movies, the American one doesn't as it doesn't have the decoder chip.

Both will play music CD's and even DVD's (up to 8.4gb's) with mp3 music on them.

You can find photos of how it looks like in action if you go to MBSLK.de - The SLK-Community :)

It will also have a service menu for some info, sending sms messages with your mobile phone attached to a cradle/bluetooth device, changing the time, and of course a menu for changing audio settings.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks (again), Shinigami.

Do you realize I am talking about a non-NAV vehicle with only a Premium II package, which includes the COMMAND HU, but no NAV? I am guessing you do from the rest of your post, but the fact that you're talking about playing DVD movies made me think you were thinking of a NAV system at first. Do you mean that if you get the COMMAND HU and no NAV in a Euro-spec SLK, you can actually play a DVD movie? Cool!

I went to the link you gave me, but, unfortunately, I spreche kein Deutsch. Um... nur ein bißchen, but not enough to know my way around that site in order to find the photos you mention. Would you be kind enough to provide a direct link?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
134 Posts
Razor - I am just guessing that you might be in the market for an SLK. One point to keep in mind is that if you do not get the the COMMAND HU, it will be difficult and/ or expensive to upgrade later on down the road when starting with the base Audio20 radio.

Unfortunately I found this out AFTER buying my wife's SLK.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SLKDawg, you are right in assuming I am in the market for an SLK. Right and wrong. Right because I'd really like one. Wrong because I would only go for a manual and those are nowhere to be found (which, as I've said in other threads, I do not understand in this type of car).

You mention upgrade. What exactly do you mean? Do you mean going with an aftermarket HU? I would never go that. I don't like anything in my vehicles that remotely looks like it didn't come with it or doesn't belong in the make.

Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
SLK350
258 Posts
Razor,
From your question it looks like you think there is only one DVD drive.

COMAND has a DVD drive in the head unit. This is what plays the DVD movies and MP3s.
The Nav system has its own DVD drive in the boot.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Yeah, I was talking about the standard COMAND unit.

You see, the NAV portion of it actually requires a second CD/DVD slot device which is found in the trunk towards the wall at the end. It's this second device which does all the gps stuff (I think).

Without the NAV, you still have a COMAND unit which does everything mentioned above, it's just that you won't be able go to the menus where you can get to choose your navigation stuff/maps, and I think in a COMAND unit without the NAV installed, you might not even have those buttons (I've seen pics where the buttons on each side of the COMAND unit had different writing then seen on mine).

This same COMAND unit has been used in a lot of MB's in the last few years, so I'm pretty sure you can find one to play around with if you visit an MB dealer.

I really recommend you do, as you'll never get quite the same info on a forum as you will when you go see these things first hand :) (although I'm sure that like me, many of us are more then happy to help you make the right choice ;) ).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Slk-Gill said:
From your question it looks like you think there is only one DVD drive.
Shinigami said:
You see, the NAV portion of it actually requires a second CD/DVD slot device which is found in the trunk towards the wall at the end.
Yes, guys, I didn't realize you got a separate slot when you got the NAV. Cool stuff. :thumbsup:

So, Shini, no direct link to those photos in the German forum you mentioned? More than knowing all the things I can do on COMMAND, I'd like to see what it looks like in comparison to the standard HU other than the size difference and the fact that it's an LCD. :eek:

·
Registered
2006 SLK280 MT
96 Posts
Razor1973 said:
I would only go for a manual and those are nowhere to be found (which, as I've said in other threads, I do not understand in this type of car).
They are rare, but you can find them just as I did, if you are willing to compromise on some of the options. If that's not acceptable, you can always go for ED, which is what I would have done, had I not found one "close enough" on a dealer lot. :eclipsee_steering:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ikarus said:
They are rare, but you can find them...
I had a sales agent look for one for 3 weeks in the entire southeast U.S. and all she could find was ONE and it was a 280. Rare is an understatement. What I never understood is why a 2-door sport coupe is so difficult to find with a manual transmission.

·
Registered
2006 SLK280 MT
96 Posts
Razor1973 said:
What I never understood is why a 2-door sport coupe is so difficult to find with a manual transmission.
I'm with you here. I believe it has something to do with the limited demand for manuals in the US and the major supply going to markets like Europe, where demand is higher. Before I bought the SLK I was cross-shopping the BMW 3-series and I was amazed at how low the supply of manuals on the dealer's lot was for this alleged "drivers car".

·
Registered
2007 SLK 280
24 Posts
I actually picked up my car with Premium 2 (COMMAND but no Nav), and the dealer installed Nav the next day (i.e., adding the GPS DVD drive in the trunk + enabling the navigation info in the Multi-function Display in the instrument cluster). As far as I can tell, this makes it identical to Premium 3 (COMMAND + Nav).

As far as comparing to non-COMMAND units. I think COMMAND gets:
1. auxilary audio input in the glove box
2. prewiring for phone/ipod/bluetooth in the storage compartment (without prewiring, it's more expensive should one decides to add these functionality later)
3. HK speakers + more speakers - particularly two surround speakers (not the usual "rear" speakers but actual surround speakers) on top of the center storage bin
4. Logic 7 surround sound. Though I must say, HK and Logic 7 are not too impressive. In fact, I think the SLK stereo system just sounds bad/unsophisticated.

I don't know if it makes sense to get COMMAND unless you want navigation - which, I think, is a must option in modern cars.

·
Registered
858 Posts
:thumbsup: I agree. Given the opportunity, get the Command HK system with navigation. I like the look, extra features and occasionally use the GPS. Hopefully the 2008 system will improve.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Razor1973 said:
Yes, guys, I didn't realize you got a separate slot when you got the NAV. Cool stuff. :thumbsup:

So, Shini, no direct link to those photos in the German forum you mentioned? More than knowing all the things I can do on COMMAND, I'd like to see what it looks like in comparison to the standard HU other than the size difference and the fact that it's an LCD. :eek:
You need to go to the gallery section. You can translate the entire page from german to english if you use a site such as babelfish.altavista.com

It's in the R171 section (R170 is the old SLK). You can then view the interior and stuff (such as Interieur allgemein). Here's a direct link (if it works): MBSLK.de - The SLK-Community

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
134 Posts
Razor1973 said:
You mention upgrade. What exactly do you mean? Do you mean going with an aftermarket HU? I would never go that. I don't like anything in my vehicles that remotely looks like it didn't come with it or doesn't belong in the make.

Thanks for the tip!
No, what I was referring to is if you purchased the vehicle without COMMAND or NAV and then later decided to upgrade the factory equipment. If you already have COMMAND, it is not very difficult to add NAV. However, if you have the base Audio20, it can be expensive to upgrade to either COMMAND and/ or NAV. Something to do with all the wiring.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shinigami said:
You need to go to the gallery section.
Got it. This was very helpful.

So is this the standard non-COMMAND HU? It looks pretty nice. I was under the impression that it was just a crappy monochrome non-LCD screen and I was considering COMMAND because it would look better. It seems the standard unit is just as nice, just smaller.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SLKDawg said:
No, what I was referring to is if you purchased the vehicle without COMMAND or NAV and then later decided to upgrade the factory equipment. If you already have COMMAND, it is not very difficult to add NAV. However, if you have the base Audio20, it can be expensive to upgrade to either COMMAND and/ or NAV. Something to do with all the wiring.
Great to keep in mind. Thanks.

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
Actually, the Audio 20 i've seen is nothing like the one you posted, it's a tiny monochrome LCD.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cyberdrakon said:
Actually, the Audio 20 i've seen is nothing like the one you posted, it's a tiny monochrome LCD.
Huh?!!?! Now I'm confused, then. OK, let's start with the basics. What's Audio 20? From what you're saying, I assume it's the standard HU. Second, from what you're saying, it seems there's 3 different HU's. Actually, I thought that was the case as soon as I read what COMMAND added. I believe there's the little monochrome screen HU, then the COMMAND, which is probably the one I posted and it adds LCD, but keeps the screen size (or maybe a bit larger), and then, there's the large LCD you get when you get NAV.

Shini? Anybody else with just Premium II and no NAV?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts