Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
After many months of visiting, I have finally taken the plunge and registered!

I have an issue with my command system on a 2008 R320.

After pressing the on button I get the MB welcome (I'm booting up) screen then the system shuts down. No radio, tel, iPod, 6 cd in glovebox, rear entertainment or reversing camera. I had noticed a faint electrical smell yesterday but all worked fine although I made a note to investigate on arrival home. However, this has been overtaken by the command system (not a betting man but these must be linked!) I can eject the DVD from the head unit but not from cd changer or rear entertainment slot. I am aware that this is an extremely complicated multi module system. I was wondering if any chaps out there is aware of a common problem? Could it be a partial failure of the head unit? I'm preparing myself for a $$$$$$$$ fix eek:

Thanks in advance for your view and responses - Fantastic site!!

Dave:

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,864 Posts
Welcome to the forum, welshflag7.

The symptom you describe is typical of an open fiber optic loop - caused either by a break in the fiber optic connections (check connectors) or failure of one of the pieces of equipment on the loop so that light is not transmitted through it. This can be caused by an internal failure (source of the smell, perhaps?) or a bad power/ground/wake-up connection (though MOST bus equipment has two ways to wake up).

The troubleshooting steps for "no audio" may help you to isolate the malfunctioning equipment, even though your problem is broader - see http://www.carstereohelp.com/mercedesFiberOptic.htm

I wouldn't assume it is a bad head unit, right off the bat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Skylaw,
Thank you very much for your reply - all taken on board - I went to my local MB parts dept today and purchased the fibre optic coupler mentioned and will start the task of isolating the offending module (once I have found them -that is!)

Whilst browsing this community over the past few months I have never ceased to be amazed at the level of knowledge and willingness to share and help fellow members - I will keep you informed of my findings and share the knowledge!

Now the search can begin!

Cheers - thanks again! :bowdown::thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts