Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
E-350/2010 4-MATIC (E-320/2000 R.I.P.)
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm coming up on 100K soon have about 99,200 and would like to replace 02 sensors.

Also last time my care was at stealership they said I should replace fuel filter, which I also feel would be a good idea, but I wasn't going to have them to do it! :D They wanted to charge $250!!:eek: to change AT socket because it had a leak!

I purchased part for about 5 bucks at autohause and had my indie to install AT electrical socket and replace new fog light wires harness for $90!:)

Question: Should I replace all 4? 2 front and 2 rear?

Thanks in advance
Fellow Benz Buddies!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I'm coming up on 100K soon have about 99,200 and would like to replace 02 sensors.

Also last time my care was at stealership they said I should replace fuel filter, which I also feel would be a good idea, but I wasn't going to have them to do it! :D They wanted to charge $250!!:eek: to change AT socket because it had a leak!

I purchased part for about 5 bucks at autohause and had my indie to install AT electrical socket and replace new fog light wires harness for $90!:)

Question: Should I replace all 4? 2 front and 2 rear?

Thanks in advance
Fellow Benz Buddies!:thumbsup:
Hey, Kade.

FWIW, do your own fuel filter, the DIY is pretty straight-forward. A few clamps, Bosch is often on sale at Autohausaz and you're on your way.

Re: the O2 sensors, 100K is the recommended interval but you can let it slide a bit (same with spark plugs, they're due there as well.)

Are you going to DIY the sensors or take it in? If you DIY you can buy the universal ones and splice them in, saving about half or perhaps more just in parts cost. But if you're taking it in you'd just buy the OEM replacements because their labor would eat up any savings. Kind of like this: DIY: roughly $250-300 for all four. Take it in, probably close to $900 (if you supply the parts, otherwise likely over 1K). The NTK (NGK's variant) are a bit cheaper than Bosch, I stayed with Bosch universals.

Personally I would replace all four, if you want to do them in stages to reduce the impact on the pocketbook do the front ones, then the rear.

Honestly, I've done this twice, and it's not a bad job at all. The trick with the front ones is a couple of really long extensions (I think I was using a pair of 12") and a good O2 sensor socket, and the rears are quite easy once you raise the car.

If you didn't want to deal with splicing (it's really easy, just time-consuming) then you can buy the OEM and still save yourself the greenbacks for installation.

Or you can buy the universals and a plane ticket, fly me out and I'll bring the tools and do it for you, but I'll expect dinner out of the deal too. I like NY. ;)

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Out of curiosity I went and checked. The Bosch universal for your car is # 15738 (same for all four), $80.35 each with free shipping at Autohaus.

However, prices have dropped for your model OEM direct fit, so just order those, whether you take it in or DIY. It will make things easier and they're not much, just $65 difference for all four.

The direct-replacement Bosch OEM are:

Rear: 13782 (same number both sides) ($95.51)
Front Right: 13798 ($95.51)
Front Left: 13642 ($101.77)

Also, do NOT buy from Ebay, they sell "bosch" but that's not what you get. :eek:

Other readers: Applications change, mine is one year newer than KADE's and uses different O2 sensors, so don't take assume these part numbers are correct unless you also have a 2000 E320.

Greg

·
Registered
2001 E320 Midnight Blue
71 Posts
Kade,
I just replaced all 4 of my O2 sensors and I used the Universal Bosch, the splicing is very easy. Autohauz has the sensors cheap, but if you don't want to wait for the time for shipping, most PepBoys or auto shops have these sensors. I bought 2 fronts from Autohauz for I think around 125 bucks, and Pep Boys had them for about 78 bucks a piece, Either way, this is def. and easy DIY job and going to a dealer is throwing money away! Good luck!

·
Registered
W210 1996 E320 Smoke Silver. [W124 1990 300CE Artic White - Sold].
814 Posts
Kade,
I just replaced all 4 of my O2 sensors and I used the Universal Bosch, the splicing is very easy ... Either way, this is def. and easy DIY job and going to a dealer is throwing money away! Good luck!
I was there as my indy struggled 30 minutes to remove one old O2 sensor with the car raised 6 feet from the ground. He was working in standing and had the right tool. Seeing that I wonder how difficult to do it lying on the garage floor? I would not be able to DIY even in 3 hours.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Well I would recommend you stop going to that indy. The POST-CAT sensors are as easy as turning a wrench!!! I was able to remove both sensors with open ended box wrench and a 3 ton floor jack.
What, pray tell, is an "opened ended box wrench"? :D

(I know you meant a combination wrench, but I read that twice before it dawned on me.)

These things can sort of weld themselves in place. As a general rule they are easy to get out and a long box-end or combination wrench is ideal because it puts all of the torque right on the faces, whereas a ratchet and socket introduces a lateral torque.

To make it easiest, start the car and let it run for about 5 minutes, which means these things will be very, very warm, so you have to work carefully. (Or of course you can work on it just after you get out from an errand, etc.) Then pop the connectors, slide on the wrench and give it a good pull. If it's still too tight then try it every five minutes. As things cool they will move a little and cool at different rates, and at some point in there it will usually come loose. If the first attempt doesn't break it loose then try also tightening a bit, then loosening.

Greg

·
Registered
E-350/2010 4-MATIC (E-320/2000 R.I.P.)
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Greg I might have to take you up on that...and while where at it we could do the sparks too! :D I will "NOT" go to the dealer!!!, I was going to have the indie shop do it, and I would just buy the parts from Autohause.

Maybe if I had a lift, like some people=G-AMG :crybaby2: I'd do it myself..:p
I don't think it would be to much for labor, if I bring the parts.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Hey Greg I might have to take you up on that...and while where at it we could do the sparks too! :D I will "NOT" go to the dealer!!!, I was going to have the indie shop do it, and I would just buy the parts from Autohause.

Maybe if I had a lift, like some people=G-AMG :crybaby2: I'd do it myself..:p
I don't think it would be to much for labor, if I bring the parts.
I don't have a lift...

The hardest thing I've done on my car from that perspective was changing the cats, it was really a pain. On the other hand, without a couple of support jacks or a friend it would be quite difficult with a lift, too. At least laying on my back I could use my foot to hold up the other end while I aligned the one in my hands. :D

Really, though, you raise with the stock jack from the front lift point, put in a jackstand, lower the jack a bit, slide under, change the sensor, then slide out. If it doesn't come out cold, lean in and fire it up for five minutes.

Then do the other side.

The front ones you do from under the hood, once you release the second catch and it goes vertical, it's easy enough.

The plugs themselves are not bad, the wires are the toughest part of that job.

Lastly, if you are thinking of DIY, a long time ago I posted the suggestion of changing motor mounts with the plugs. If you've not done them they're getting close anyway, and you wouldn't believe how much more room that gives you to do the plugs. I wish I'd hit on that idea when I did my plugs. :)

All in all, you could set aside a Saturday, easily do the plugs and motor mounts in the morning and then the O2 sensors in the afternoon. That's about $800 in labor unless you have a really sweet indy, which is $150-$200 an hour you're paying yourself. If you don't have all the tools and jackstands, you could buy it all and still be money ahead. Now if you don't like working on your car that is a different matter altogether. ;)

Greg

·
Registered
2001 E320; 2002 ML500
1,982 Posts
I was there as my indy struggled 30 minutes to remove one old O2 sensor with the car raised 6 feet from the ground. He was working in standing and had the right tool. Seeing that I wonder how difficult to do it lying on the garage floor? I would not be able to DIY even in 3 hours.
If you spray the sensor where it meets the cats with Liquid Wrench and let it sit for 15-30 minutes, they come off much easier....

·
Registered
W210.265/2001, W220/S500/2000, Porsche 997 C2S/2006, GMC K1500/1992
2,157 Posts
Guys,
I have a CEL with code read P0303, P0302, which I have misfired in cylinder 2 & 3 on my W210/2001. I never replace my O2 sensors for last 94.5 K miles , original spark plugs, coils and plug wires. I research on the MAF last night and determine it is not the issue. Can anyone point me to a thread for possible fix ? I am the original owner and never replace the engine shocks either.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Ohlord, Greg210,
After I read some of the recent listed threads, Ohlord may possible to suggest to replace the plugs. Some may say about the coils, or plug wires. Is anyone can tell me how to eliminate the possibility like the bench marks of testing the plug wires, coils. Or I may have a problem with the injectors being leak due to bad O rings or clogged openings.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I suggest you to only replace the plugs first, and pm ohlord for his 17mm boot removal tool and ask him for some invaluable advise on how to get it done.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
^Thanks,
I did proceed to removed the coils and the plugs on the left side only. But only able to removed the 1st plug wires from the plug on the left side because I do not have the 17mm tool. I need to PM him now. My plan is to replace all 12 plugs but only do the 1,2,3 cylinders see if I can get out of the CEL.

·
Premium Member
97 E-420 (180K miles), 97 SL500, (93K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax(55K)
4,647 Posts
Greg,

Yes there is such a thing....
yup AKA "line wrench" or "flare nut wrench" Handy to have a full set of common sizes around, especially handy for brake bleading

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.