Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 1998 E320 - 160,000 Miles Strong
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my buddy's Indy mechanic took the liberty of changing out the breather and air hoses to "official Benz parts" from the generic parts I just replaced for him 3 weeks ago from the auto parts store. The car was working fine before and the mechanic just did it and charged him for the parts & labor without having his consent. Basically I wanted to know does having "Official" Benz" hoses matter at all, I know some of these air hoses have weird bends and joints is there something behind it all or just marketing?

·
Registered
02 E55 & 07 SL55
52 Posts
I'm sure it may last longer, but for something as simple as a breather hose, I don't see any harm in using an aftermarket one. This is coming from someone who buys a lot of OEM crap.

·
Banned
2003 Mercedes S430
806 Posts
There are sensors on the vehicle that take readings of parts used. OEM parts have an imbedded infared signal like modern keys. The sensors can detect the absence of these parts.

Certain part sensors being absent will effect mileage as the computer causes the vehicle to use more fuel, thus, discouraging the owner from using aftermarket parts.

Always use OEM parts from the dealer to avoid costly fuel use.

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
I have heard of electronic markers being put in house pets like mice, rats, snakes, roaches, raccoons, so their children have something to do while the parents are out drinking---------but markers in OEM MB parts---that takes the cake that's unconstitutional!!!

·
Registered
1999 E320 4matic (owned previously); 1996 SL500
674 Posts
I just may go buy a 240d if there is that much electronic surveillance in my E320...

·
Registered
2001 E430 220K mi. Obsidian Black metallic, Ash/Orion Grey interior
1,252 Posts
He's joking here! At least I hope so...

Fred

There are sensors on the vehicle that take readings of parts used. OEM parts have an imbedded infared signal like modern keys. The sensors can detect the absence of these parts.

Certain part sensors being absent will effect mileage as the computer causes the vehicle to use more fuel, thus, discouraging the owner from using aftermarket parts.

·
Premium Member
07 Silverado CC Z71, 10 Chevy Tahoe LT, 12 BMW K1600GLT
5,812 Posts

Hehe... :D

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,727 Posts
Intake modifications is a big market for rip-off artists.
Take the K&N for example. They charge customers big amount of money for questionable couple of HP gain, while cut the engine life by like 30%.
Sure not too many owner will notice or worry about engine dying at 200k, instead of 300k, but some do. Years ago I was involved in model building that involved miniature engines. Just polishing the cast intake on those 1/4" passages gave big power gain.
So IMHO changing OEM intake parts with aftermarket will cost you down the road this way, or the other.

·
Premium Member
5,812 Posts
So IMHO changing OEM intake parts with aftermarket will cost you down the road this way, or the other.
I somewhat agree with you on the K&N air intake stuff, but come on, the OP was referring to breather hoses. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,727 Posts
I owned most of popular MB models available in US for last 30 years and dealt with breather hoses on all older ones.
W123 had long breather hose going into air filter box, where special system was separating oil from the air and directed the oil back to the crankcase. The small hose was easy to clog and the complicated system tend to leak the oil, or be missasembled costing lot of problems. Than W124 had breather going directly to the intake manifold. That did cost bildups to the degree that some engines would quit working at high mileage. Than 97 diesel had system that with number of hoses, tees, and oil separator would direct crankcase fumes into the engine valves area. System work pretty well for the engine, but the plastic tees with the age were cracking, making mess on the top of engine and potentially sucking dirt into engine.
So if you think this is "only breather hose" -think again.
Than OP is talking about "breather and air hoses "

·
Premium Member
5,812 Posts
Okay... :rolleyes: So I guess Tony is right. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
always use oem parts. they do not have to say "mercedes" on the box so long as they are from oem suppliers. bosch, ate, pagid, lucas, mann, textar, siemens, balo, einsemann, etc. you get the point. these parts truly will last longer!

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts

This is the biggest lot of BS I have read in a long time!!! Infra-rd requires electrical power to function, so that means there must be a small battery embedded in the hose as well. :rolleyes: Please post us a picture of the hose with the embedded battery.

If you perhaps mean a RFID chip (which doesn't require having its own power source), then please post a picture of the embedded chip on one of these hoses to prove your point. :mad::mad:

Next you will tell use to only inflate the tires with air from a MB dealer. :poopbanana:

·
Registered
1997 E320 w210 1995 Cadilliac Eldorado w/Northstar 1991 Fleetwood Brougham
150 Posts
As much as I respect this site and members....
some folks love an opportunity to shoot crap out their ares.

·
Registered
1997 E320 w210 1995 Cadilliac Eldorado w/Northstar 1991 Fleetwood Brougham
150 Posts
Not when someone is open to ,and trying to learn something. It is far from great. Snide comments and drunken rants mean nothing. But hey, it makes some feel good about themselves.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
BTW Kobus, how do you get winter tire air in Southern California?
Nope, you've got me there. :D

Now just don't give me snide comments and drunken rants - I'm here to learn the answer from you. :big laugh::big laugh:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts