Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
SLK200 - Here! ;-)
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just about to place my order and just confirming my final spec.

I cannot afford both COMAND and Auto, so what should I go with?

Anyone got any views? (I don't mind a manual, but would it have an adverse effect on the second hand value?)

Regards

Darren

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
S2Tigger - 5/16/2005 7:54 PM

I am just about to place my order and just confirming my final spec.

I cannot afford both COMAND and Auto, so what should I go with?

Anyone got any views? (I don't mind a manual, but would it have an adverse effect on the second hand value?)

Regards

Darren
IMHO manual every time - It's nearly a sports car. Seriously, depends how long you want to keep it - if only 1-2 years, then go for an auto. If you intend to keep it a bit longer, then definately a manual. I got COMAND and manual, cos that was what I want, I'm not too bothered about what anyone who has it after me wants(and, to an extent, what they pay for it.)

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
I would say COMAND as i have automatic and wish I had the manual. However, others will tell you it will affect resale although I am not so sure.

Are you also having doubts about the color? Your Avatar goes from Orion/Caspian blue to silver or white? What color did you finally decide upon?

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
I have manual and COMAND. manual and 350 go well together as a sportscar combination, especially with sports suspension.
The 200 manual and sports suspension will appeal to some, the auto to a different group. Who is the car for? If you have it long term, as Wooly says, who cares about resale. What do YOU want?
Like house prices in London, if you aint selling who cares if its worth a million?

If it was me, I would get the manual, and COMAND, which is great fun, Nav, DVD and MP3. Worth it for Nav alone. Recently I have decided I like listening to the engine more than music, and in a queue I watch DVDs, and in London there are plenty of opportunities to do so. The Nav not only tells you where to go, also where is the nearest petrol station, restaurant etc etc, and shows you where you are on the map like in planes. I have many many memories of being lost and having no idea where I am, especially abroad, so this is so worth it.

·
Registered
SLK 200
261 Posts
Hi,

I went for manual because it makes me feel more in control of the car, which after all is a sport car which i am not planning to use regulalry in the center of london.
I Chose Command because NAV is useful and I like music amusic and most of all I love gadgets.
Therefore, manual and Command for my 200.

Ciao

P

·
Registered
SLK 230 & SLK350 and Jaguar XF PL
568 Posts
S2tigger I was in the your position this time last year I went for auto because I could not justify command as I dont drive far these days and I am a radio man and its the same system in both, and as I said last year 6" screen in the car or 42" screen in the house (current prices say qty 2 42" plasmas for 2K). I was more concerned with getting the thermtronic aircon rather than the standard 4 dials which I dont like.

gary

·
Registered
SLK200 - Here! ;-)
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Given me something to think about...

The colours in the graphic are Tellur Silver and Benitoite Blue....

I am edging towards Tellur Silver...

I'm planning on keeping the car for a while 3+ years so I may pay that little extra and get both!!

As for the plasma...I already have one [:)] (Panasonic, excellant picture)

I'll let you know on the final specs, but the list looks like this at the moment:

607 Alloy wheels
423 Automatic transmission
- Metallic paint
- Leather upholstery
403 Airscarf
275 Drivers seat electric
500 Folding exterior mirrors
873 Heated seats
220 Parktronic
241 Passenger seat electric
477 Tyre Pressure Sensor
345 Rain sensing wipers
880 Remote control for roof
Wind deflector - transparent
527 Command System
386 Telephone prewiring
B67875822 Telephone cradle (Nokia 6230)
Luxury Climate control

I've had various people comment on my selection.. the only things I'm going to look at before I decide are the folding electric mirrors, comand (v auto) and remote control for roof.

Thanks for your help

Darren

ps It's a 200, powerful enough for my needs and not so thirsty (we are in the UK and petrol is soooo expensive!!)
[:)][:)][:)]

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
S2Tigger - 5/15/2005 1:57 AM

Given me something to think about...

The colours in the graphic are Tellur Silver and Benitoite Blue....

I am edging towards Tellur Silver...

I'm planning on keeping the car for a while 3+ years so I may pay that little extra and get both!!

As for the plasma...I already have one [:)] (Panasonic, excellant picture)

I'll let you know on the final specs, but the list looks like this at the moment:

607 Alloy wheels
423 Automatic transmission
- Metallic paint
- Leather upholstery
403 Airscarf
275 Drivers seat electric
500 Folding exterior mirrors
873 Heated seats
220 Parktronic
241 Passenger seat electric
477 Tyre Pressure Sensor
345 Rain sensing wipers
880 Remote control for roof
Wind deflector - transparent
527 Command System
386 Telephone prewiring
B67875822 Telephone cradle (Nokia 6230)
Luxury Climate control

I've had various people comment on my selection.. the only things I'm going to look at before I decide are the folding electric mirrors, comand (v auto) and remote control for roof.

Thanks for your help

Darren

ps It's a 200, powerful enough for my needs and not so thirsty (we are in the UK and petrol is soooo expensive!!)
[:)][:)][:)]
Well if you throw out the folding exterior mirrors, Parktronic, tyre pressure sensor and remote control for roof (it is worthless), maybe you could then get both the COMAND and auto[8D]

USA cars do not even offer folding mirrors and parktronic as an option. Just MHO though[:I]

·
Registered
SLK350
128 Posts
The folding mirrors are a rip off - they dont fold flat and therefore do not retract within the contour of the car, and the remote roof opening is a bit of a wste of time. Also more than one dealer told me not to bother with tyre pressure warning. The free net wind deflector is pretty good so think again about the perspex one. Good luck.

·
Registered
SLK350
19 Posts
I agree about the remote roof operation - you have to hold the 'key' within 6 inches of the door handle for the entire time the roof is in operation (22 seconds?) otherwise an alarm goes off, the roof stops moving and you have to hop into the car, put the 'key' in the ingition and use the button in the center console to finish the job. Kinda defeats the object.

Parktronic also seems pointless. Its such a small car anyway its not difficult to park, you just have to be a little careful reversing with the top up because the rear visibility isn't great.

If you're going with heated seats and airscarf you might want to consider the heated steering wheel. its a bit of extra luxury that you'd probably use as much as the other bits, for not very much money. I regret not going for it on mine.

Most would agree that the manual gives a better driving experience, but you should also consider where you live, and what you'll be using the vehicle for. I'm in central London so it makes sense to go for the auto. Its less tiring to drive in traffic, and its going to be easier to shift come re-sale time (My dealer told me that, out of 200 vehicles sold, only 3 were manual).

Folding mirrors are a MUST in London. They wouldn't last a week when parked on a narrow street with all those white vans and London buses squeezing their way past.

As for COMMAND, you won't get your money back when you come to sell, but its a great bit of kit. The ability to play MP3 DVDs is fantastic, and the navigation itself is pretty good - its only got it wrong on one occasion for me ("please make an immediate u-turn" when I drove into the Blackwall tunnel!!!).

The wind deflector is good, but make sure its properly fitted. The guy at the factory fitted mine for me back to front. It came loose one afternoon when I had the roof down at 110mph and hit me on the back of the head before landing in the passenger footwell. Bit of a shock, but I managed not to swerve off the road ....

·
Registered
SLK 200K
144 Posts
jsd - 5/17/2005 6:50 AM
I agree about the remote roof operation - you have to hold the 'key' within 6 inches of the door handle for the entire time the roof is in operation (22 seconds?) otherwise an alarm goes off, the roof stops moving and you have to hop into the car, put the 'key' in the ingition and use the button in the center console to finish the job. Kinda defeats the object.
jsd,

Mine works from at least 10 feet away, although I'm normally around 2-3 feet away when I use it.

If the roof stops part-way, there's no need to get into the car to finish the job; you just have to press and hold the button on the remote again!

Cheers,
---Julian

·
Registered
SLK350
19 Posts
Hmm - I've tried waiting a few seconds then pressing the button again but it didn't seem to work. I'll have another go next time we have a sunny day in London - I think the Met Office are currently predicting 12th August!

I was hoping to get my hands on one of those roof modules, but from the posts I've read on this forum it sounds like I'll be waiting at least until the 2007 model comes out...

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
innherb - 5/16/2005 2:40 PM

The folding mirrors are a rip off - they dont fold flat and therefore do not retract within the contour of the car, and the remote roof opening is a bit of a wste of time. Also more than one dealer told me not to bother with tyre pressure warning. The free net wind deflector is pretty good so think again about the perspex one. Good luck.
Dont agree with the mirror comments. I leave my car on the street in London, and am happy that my mirrors are angled in so a vandal has to make a real effort to mess with them. Leaving them out is asking for trouble IMO.
Agree with tyre pressure comments, but then on the day I get a warning from the sensors that may change my mind. I wish they had got the rear side windows to go up. There is still some draught even with the perspex wind deflector

1 - 15 of 15 Posts