Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A weird thing happened today. As i was driving, my Command Unit refused to refresh the screen. It was like the screen locked up complete. I could still change things from the multi function display (songs etc) but the screen continued to show the screen it was on.

What's really weird, it stayed on when I left the car. Screen was on but the unit was off. I left it for a while and I guess it went off since it was fine when I returned.

The car had sat with the top down in the sun on a not too hot aay (70f) so that may be what caused it.

Any one seen this before?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE: Command Unit freaked out

5 months SLK350. I guess I need it in my sig.

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts

Yup, my COMAND unit has done that on several occasions... freeze on the Mercedes Benz logo screen while still be able to play Sirius channels. I could trigger other preset channels but the screen doesn't change and remains on the MB logo. This has happened twice but has somehow remedied itself. Since then, even more freakier things with the COMAND happened. Look at this post I made earlier this week: http://benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1208256&posts=5&fid=27

This latest episode has prompted me to finally make an appointment and part with my car. It happened earlier this week and I have the appointment this coming Monday, May 2. This evening however, guess what?... it decided to fix itself again!! So now when I show up on Monday, everything will appear to work fine in the eyes of the the dealership. But screw that! Something is obviously wrong. It has caused my car's battery to drain on several occasions and something is definitely fvcked with the unit and I will insist that they either find out the real cause or replace the unit regardless of whether or not they can recreate the symptoms.

Bottomline, the COMAND unit in my car is sucking the big one.... very unfortunate because the rest of the car has been great. I now wish I had not filled in that MB survey so hastily as I would've completely ripped apart the owner's evaluation of the car's electronics and related features because of all this. This has greatly put a sour taste on my first Mercedes Benz ownership experience. Audi is again looking more and more likely as my next car when I plan on buying a sedan later this year. Too bad they don't make roadsters with trick hard-tops.

·
Registered
SLK350
475 Posts

Sometimes when I operate the top from the inside button, the radio winks out for a second and dash lights wink out at the same time. It only lasts a split second, but it is annoying. I've already e-mailed to MB that I thought they had too much useless gadgetry in this car.

Roberta

·
Registered
06 SLK350 Obs Blk,
51 Posts

Same here Roberta. Its right about the moment the rear windows retract or surface. It must be a huge energy draw at that moment. Its annoying but I too can live with it.

bobbyM

·
Registered
SLK350
475 Posts

Thanks Max. I thought I was imagining it at first. I guess it's probably a no, nevermind thing, not worth worrying about. I sure love that top, though.

Roberta[:)][:)]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts