Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Banned
Discussion Starter #1
So whenever it gets cold, the stereo system makes a HORRENDOUS sound, screeching staticy terror!
It's completely out of character for a car, and now my mom refuses to drive it. I'm surprised no old lady has gotten a heart attack yet.

The only thing to do is to turn the system off. Everything else appears to be working. Anyone have any ideas?

W220 Moderator
Hi,

Either the Head Unit or Amp if fitted, I'd either just bin it and buy a good used one, or upgrade if it's the old pre-facelift type :wink
If your Car has F/O Amplifier it will more likely be that, as they suffer with Water Ingress in left Trunk area :wink

:devil BTW, the worst idea in recent automotive history is DPF Filters :devil

Cheers Dave

Registered
Hi,

Either the Head Unit or Amp if fitted, I'd either just bin it and buy a good used one, or upgrade if it's the old pre-facelift type :wink
If your Car has F/O Amplifier it will more likely be that, as they suffer with Water Ingress in left Trunk area :wink

:devil BTW, the worst idea in recent automotive history is DPF Filters :devil

Cheers Dave
Good ideas but try disconnecting the cd player next to the amplifier. I have seen these seem to for lack of a better description "bleed" interference through the radio.

W220 Moderator
Hi,

/\ /\ /\ +1

Good Call,

Yeah, the FO Output on the CDC is actually in the lowest part of the left Trunk well, and will get any water first :wink

Cheers Dave

Banned
Discussion Starter #5
Has nobody else faced this problem?
Would it be the head unit, or the amplifier? I assume this is the appropriate part #: 2208273042

Registered
I had the same issue last winter. it was intermittent. It evolved to no sound at all until it warmed up and now has further evolved to just showing the MB logo (no back light) and loss of all functionality from head unit.

I bought one of those fiber optic bypass cables and bypassed all I could find in the trunk with no improvement. BTW - no evidence of any water in the trunk at all - bone dry as it should be. I suspect My issue is with the head unit.

I just put a bluetooth speaker in the car for now and play all music from my phone. But it bugs the heck out of me - I'm looking for cheap solutions....

W220 Moderator
SDS will confirm exactly what is faulty in both cases.

Huatchipato's definitely sounds like H/U, a good used unit will be cheapest fix, but it will need Version Coding at least checking, maybe re coding, again SDS needed.

Banned
Discussion Starter #8

W220 Moderator
There will be something that SDS can tell you, even intermittent issues show up as a not present fault, or something in the event log ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
Dave2302
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing