Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Comand software update

16K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  joyfulheart 
#1 ·
Does MB periodically update the software for the command system? It has a few quirks that I think could be addressed with a software update.

#3 ·
RE: Command software update

firemist350 - 3/19/2005 5:11 PM

Does MB periodically update the software for the command system? It has a few quirks that I think could be addressed with a software update.
Yes they do update COMAND firmware occasionally. But they never seem to publicise it!!!

Nav software updates however are supplied on each new version of the Nav DVD.

A rumour from my dealer says 'Europe v5' due later this year will have birds eye view update. I'll believe that when i see it!

#4 ·

ianx, manchester - 3/21/2005 8:49 PM

A rumour from my dealer says 'Europe v5' due later this year will have birds eye view update. I'll believe that when i see it!
Sod Birds eye view - give us TMC in the UK. I'd rather know where the traffic is than be able to look at junctions I can't get to due to traffic! [:)]

#5 ·

dbslk - 3/19/2005 9:26 AM

Sod Birds eye view - give us TMC in the UK. I'd rather know where the traffic is than be able to look at junctions I can't get to due to traffic! [:)]
..evidently, MB have finally paid the licence fee and wee should have it soon...(poi - if you select it (i.e.in mainland Europe)) and don't turn it off, sat nag will not function correctly in the UK.

#6 ·

Woolly - 3/21/2005 4:44 PM

dbslk - 3/19/2005 9:26 AM

..evidently, MB have finally paid the licence fee and wee should have it soon...(poi - if you select it (i.e.in mainland Europe)) and don't turn it off, sat nag will not function correctly in the UK.
you know i have heard it said that the only reason TMC doesn't work on v4 DVDs is because it's written in a text config file in the root!

I might have to have a play in the near future ;-) although i've never noticed any text files on the DVD

#8 ·

When I picked up my SLK from Bremen, I turned on TMC and it cleverly re-routed me around some roadworks on the autobhan to Amsterdam. I parked up on the ferry and next morning, in Newcastle, I tried to get the satnag working, but she didn't want to play until I turned TMC off. As far as I can figure out, it should all work OK for Brit owners once the licence has been sorted. It uses a FM broadcast radio signal, which is currently 'turned off' for MB users in the UK. Once the licence issue has been resolved, it should work fine in Britain, without any DVD changes, or software upgrades

#9 ·

Woolly - 3/21/2005 2:57 PM

When I picked up my SLK from Bremen, I turned on TMC and it cleverly re-routed me around some roadworks on the autobhan to Amsterdam. I parked up on the ferry and next morning, in Newcastle, I tried to get the satnag working, but she didn't want to play until I turned TMC off. As far as I can figure out, it should all work OK for Brit owners once the licence has been sorted. It uses a FM broadcast radio signal, which is currently 'turned off' for MB users in the UK. Once the licence issue has been resolved, it should work fine in Britain, without any DVD changes, or software upgrades
What is TMC? Is it available in the US?

#11 ·

joyfulheart - 3/22/2005 10:39 PM

Will we have to get a new disk to work TMC in the UK, or do we just switch on the TMC option? I hope its the latter. Its not perfect but I would rather not fork out significant sums for an update too often. Anyone know how much an update costs?
Realistically this will be a need disc. TMC is a mixture of hardware/software. Whilst the command has the ability to deal with TMC reception the software (held on the CD) needs to understand the codes transmitted. So, when MB sort their licensing out (again) they will issue a new CD with UK TMC.

#12 ·

ianx, manchester - 3/22/2005 10:37 PM
you know i have heard it said that the only reason TMC doesn't work on v4 DVDs is because it's written in a text config file in the root!

I might have to have a play in the near future ;-) although i've never noticed any text files on the DVD
If it's anything like their last TeleAtlas CDs (before TMC finally came out) this won't work.

I had modified the config on the TeleAtlas CD that MB supplied as I had heard a similar thing with those. Although I editing the config to "apparently" turn this on the feature never worked.

Stupidly I didn't compare the newer version with TMC to the old one.

My guess is that although the relevant items may be on the DVD the software is going to ignore it.

Fingers crossed that the next release will have this sorted.

#13 ·

dbslk - 3/22/2005 8:51 AM

joyfulheart - 3/22/2005 10:39 PM

Will we have to get a new disk to work TMC in the UK, or do we just switch on the TMC option? I hope its the latter. Its not perfect but I would rather not fork out significant sums for an update too often. Anyone know how much an update costs?
Realistically this will be a need disc. TMC is a mixture of hardware/software. Whilst the command has the ability to deal with TMC reception the software (held on the CD) needs to understand the codes transmitted. So, when MB sort their licensing out (again) they will issue a new CD with UK TMC.
Including software upgrades with the car for at least a year would have been nice. Do you think these DVDs can be copied?
My mum is getting a new CL, and I am hoping she will have the same comand DVD system as mine, and that I can just copy her nav DVD, assuming she gets it after TMC is enabled. Alternatively there is always the possibility of sharing the latest version between UK members here...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.