Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 CLK430 was assembled early August 2000. At the time COMAND was not yet available because of "software incompatabilities". I would have waited but there were no guarentees when it would be available. Additionally, a black opal (my favorite color) 430 suddenly became available because the original customer backed out just before it was scheduled to be built. So I got everything I wasnted except COMAND.<p>I asked my dealer and MBUSA if it could be retrofitted and got the expected response that it could only be installed at the factory. Is this true or is this just the easy answer? Realizing there is some obvious complexity to the install how difficult could it be? Tele Aid already uses a GPS sensor and when in use mutes the standard radio so all pertinent connections should already be right there. So what else could pose a problem? Has anyone seen the connections for the COMAND unit or know of anyone who has installed one?<p>I've considered aftermarket navigation systems but I don't like the tilting/folding screens that most have and I don't plan on spending the cash to build a new dash for a custom system. Besides I don't want to lose the usefulness of the steering wheel buttons. If only I had waited...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<br>Your dealer was basically correct when he told you it must be installed at the factory.<p>That said, anything can be retrofit with enough time and money. COMAND is not simple drop-in installation. Alot of wiring must be replaced, and the cost would be extreme. Easily $5000, but probably alot more.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I finally read some other threads which say the wiring harnesses are totally different (I see little sense in this) and were quoted prices between $6-7000. I guess I'll have to reconsider that CLK55 trade-in afterall.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lots of otherstuff is different - why fit extra expensive stuff - see below

Wiring loom is different, rear windscreen is different [has TV aerials etc in it], and of course all the pickups for gps etc.<p>In europe we specify individuall options [rather that your K1/K2 etc packs], so theres thousands of different variants, so MB build each car with the correct bits in it, so why put in an expensive COMAND loom for a car that doenst have COMAND in it ??<p>But, saying that, they put in looms for phone and voice control on all US CLKs (not on others though), I presume because its easier to have dealers fit those extras. In Europe, they are only factory fitted.<p><br>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts