Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,<br>
<br>
Thanks to the help from Frank, Ivan and other, it is now completed. I just got back from a test drive; I program the Comand to go to Olive Garden in Buffalo and I got some pictures of screen displays. The route guidance is accurate and the voice guidance is cool also. The pictures are uploaded into the Galleries under 'John's Comand 2.0' in the W210 section. Here are the breakdown of the cost.<br>
<br>
Comand unit-$550.00<br>
FedEx Econo international-$88.00<br>
Tax and duties-$15.00<br>
Blaupunkt GPS antenna- $85.00<br>
New wood dash-$328.00<br>
Reinforcement/mounting unit-$11.00<br>
Plugs, contact pins(extra for spare)-$40.00<br>
Gratuity for my tech-$50.00( I am giving it to him on Wednesday. He gave me a free Comand CD)<br>
<br>
The total cost is about $ 1,167.00 and I had a great time doing it. The unit is completely integrated with my phone, CD changer, voice activation and steering wheel controls. Well, time to move on to the next project!<br>
<br>
John J<br>
<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why Blaupunkt GPS Antenna? Where's antenna on factory installed Comand?....

Did you also put Auxiliary Comand input in Glove Box?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where's TeleAid system? So, normally the GPS wire goes to TeleAid and then...

is split to the Comand system or vice-versa? Thanks.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My logic of choosing Blaupunkt GPS antenna

Hello E55 KEV,<br> <br> The Comand is made by Bosch which is also own Blaupunkt. Therefore my logic is to use Blaupunkt antenna to reduce chances of incompatibility. It costs lot more than other GPS antenna but I think it is worth it. I did not bother to run a splitter from the Teleaid module because, first, I couldn't find it. Second, it cheaper to do it this way and third, I didn't want to take out any more parts out of my car. Even If I decided to run the antenna cable to the Teleaid, I have to order the cable from Germany, www.megacomm.de , and that is too much hassle. The dealer only have the whole Comand harness which cost at least $300.00<br> <br> John J

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't put Auxillary input in the glove box

Hello E55 KEV,<br> <br> Since I did not use the factory harness, I couldn't install the AUX input. I don't have MP3 player and any other devices so it is irrelevant for me. But if you are retrofitting with the purpose of using the AUX input, then investing in the factory harness maybe necessary. I never seem a factory harness so I could not tell you what to look for.<br> <br> JOhn J

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great job John<br> <br> As soon as I get back into town I will be installing mine on my CLK 320.<br> I'll let you know how it goes<br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is the 4th button between AM/FM and Tel? The Euro units have TV listed...

Was there any extra/unused inputs on the back of unit for the TV antenna?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
US Comand firmware doesn't have TV function

Hello,<br> <br> There are TV inputs in both C1 and C2 sockets. C1 socket have TV red, green and blue connection. C2 socket has additonal 4 TV inputs but I don't have the detail on the specification.<br> <br> John J

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Curious! What type of inputs are they?...

What type of connectors go in these inputs? Do you have any photos of the Comand Rear showing all these inputs? Can the Comand firmware be upgraded? Thanks.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Curious! What type of inputs are they?...

Hello E55 KEV,<br>
<br>
I got some photos of the Comand unit and the required sockets and plugs in the galleries http://gallery.mbnz.org/gallery/showlink.asp?CatID=336&parentID=30&subname=John`s_E55&parentname=W210_E_Class The latest firmware don't support the TV function, I believed. Unless you are able to get a copy of German firmware CD to update your Comand. From my research, there is no concrete evidence this method is completely save. So the best bet is to replace a US Comand with a European Comand. The FM radio should work but not the AM frequency. If you have any question, I would recommend you to go to http://www.megacomm.net/int/menu/index.htm This is the English version but it is not as resourceful as the German forum( www.megacomm.de ) The moderator, Telematik Team, is very knowledgable. You will see couple of my posts there also, under JohnAMG<br>
<br>
John J

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey john,
Where did you buy your command 2.0?Do you have pics?

Thanks,

Hey john,
Where did you buy your command 2.0?Do you have pics?

Thanks,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts