Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
BMW
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone managed to buy a COMAND manual? The reason I want a spare is that I intend to use the navigation functions right from the start when I collect the car from Bremen, as I have several addresses in Germany to visit en route back to the UK. I've been advised by a couple of other people who have done the collection that the introduction to COMAND is quite brief on the handover and in any case, you are too excited to pay much attention. So, I'd like to get hold of a manual in advance. I was wondering if anyone has already done so, and what the part number and price are.

·
BenzWorld R171 Host
SLK350
1,410 Posts
electronic version (US) here in case you can't find paper copy.

http://phdwebsite.powerpulse.cc/COMAND/2005%20SLK%20COMAND.pdf

incidentally if you go to your dealers and give them the following they may be able to provide a price...

order no 6515 6690 02
part no 171 584 51 81

·
Registered
BMW
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having looked at the online version, presumably the key differences for the UK are

No satellite radio
RDS on FM
TMC on navigation
A few navigation differences to do with terminology

I will order a UK version of the manual from the dealer.

The navigation looks slightly lacking compared to the portable Garmin unit I have been using for three years or so. That has a feature where on approaching a junction, the map display zooms in to show the whole junction and the path that you are to take. The COMAND version seems to just have an arrow symbol of some kind, with no context shown such as how the intended turn fits in with other roads at the junction. I think this must cause occasional ambiguity.

·
Registered
SLK350
258 Posts
Steve,
The screen splits in two ( not literaly ) and the right hand side shows a simple diagram of the junction with a countdown bar showing the distance.
From what I can remember it shows your route around a roundabout for instance.
Additionaly if you have the top screen in the instrument cluster set to show sat nav - it also shows the place to turn and the name of the road you are turning into if it knows it.

Have not used a Garmin system so can not compare to that.

I think from what you are saying the MB one is not as wizzy, and you are probably right

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
steve-p - 5/9/2005 1:53 PM

Having looked at the online version, presumably the key differences for the UK are

No satellite radio
RDS on FM
TMC on navigation
A few navigation differences to do with terminology

I will order a UK version of the manual from the dealer.

The navigation looks slightly lacking compared to the portable Garmin unit I have been using for three years or so. That has a feature where on approaching a junction, the map display zooms in to show the whole junction and the path that you are to take. The COMAND version seems to just have an arrow symbol of some kind, with no context shown such as how the intended turn fits in with other roads at the junction. I think this must cause occasional ambiguity.
Steve, If you get stuck, I've got a spare one which I can post you - the nice guys in Bremen lent me it when I picked mine up - night-time reading for the night before I got mine. If you want to borrow it, PM me with your delivery address. It will cost you nowt - the only thing I'd ask is a)pls return it to me and b)if you can slip an SLR into your hand luggage, I'd appreciate that[:)][:)] (did the same for Joyfulheart before he went (but still did not get an SLR[:(!][V]))

·
Registered
05SLK350 LaunchEdtn
35 Posts
RE: COMAND manual (Euro Edition)

Hi.

I have the Euro Comand system in my US 2005 SLK 350 Launch Edition. Thus far, from the MB owners online site, you can download the owners manuals. Problem is, I would like to have the Euro Comand manual electronicly. Does anyone have a *.pdf version of this manual?

·
Registered
BMW
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Woolly - 5/10/2005 7:41 PM
Steve, If you get stuck, I've got a spare one which I can post you - the nice guys in Bremen lent me it when I picked mine up - night-time reading for the night before I got mine.
I've got one now, but thanks for the offer. It was FOC from the dealer but apparently they only cost £15.04 + VAT anyway.

·
Registered
SLK 200
261 Posts
Whats worong with the onlne one?
I know it is American but.. I thought that it would be virtually identical to the UK version? Is it not?
Should I look for a proper UK one before I get lost driving back form Bremen?

Thanks

P

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
502 Posts
I am having trouble downloading this file, I get an Adobe Acrobat error and the download terminates. I have reported the error to Adobe, but have no reply.

Has anyone else been able to download the file? Is there another version out there somewhere?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
164.125 163.175 Previous W211MOPF-W211C209W202W124
603 Posts
Apbaphil,
just emailed you the manual.

nevermind tried to send twice your inbox will not accept. sorry,
Sam

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
502 Posts
Thanks for trying, I did get an email from charter.net telling me I had exceeded my limit. I have since cleared my email inbox and increased its size, and should have plenty of room if you have a chance to try again.

I do appreciate your effort, I have still not been able to download the pdf from the site above.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
919 Posts
apbaphil - 9/24/2005 7:41 AM

I do appreciate your effort, I have still not been able to download the pdf from the site above.
I have reposted several at http://www.billsden.org/mercedes/slk/docs/, as well. I have had one or two reports of trouble viewing some of the PDFs from within Firefox, but in those cases switching to IE (or just downloading the file and viewing outside the browser) fixed it.

·
Registered
'06 SLK55
307 Posts
What do you need the manual for?

It only takes a few minutes to figure out how to put in a destination and go. Just sit in a parking lot, go through the menus and such. Even better is if you have another person in the car to play with it while you drive.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts