Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a little idea I had to in order to update the w126 a bit. I would much appreciate any feedback.
I am in no rush as I have no car (banned for drink drive), but I plan to buy a 126 next, and if this is possible, I will be on the lookout for all the bits and pieces meanwhile.

Anyway...

> (From another post)
> You need a CANBUS simulator that will take the > speed signal and output it on CANBUS. You can get > one from [email protected] ... Steve > (MBenzNL). I've seen him wire one up in a car.

I understand that the COMAND unit will automatically switch off after 30 minutes recieving no CAN bus signal, which will be the main problem with installing COMAND in a W126, so:

a) Will the aforementioned simulator stop this from happening?

b) Will this simulator be compatible with a 126 (and how does it connect to where (gearbox / speedo / ???)?

c) Does COMAND have any other little bits and pieces / connections that might not be immediately obvious (NOT CD/DVD/Nav, etc)

d) Which version of COMAND (for which chassis) would probably be most suitable for a 126 (DVD playback using MB parts is preferable, but 3rd party parts are acceptable, as well as requirement for AUX input for MP3)

e) Has anyone tried this?

Thank you all in advance for any info.

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
You'd need to ask Steve about that. Also, the price of all the modification to accomodate...

You'd need to ask Steve about that. Also, the price of all the modification to accomodate all these stuffs might be the cost of the car itself.?
[8)]

·
Registered
CLK320
16 Posts
Firstly the Can bus simulator connects to the comand and the factory loom. It will prevent...

Firstly the Can bus simulator connects to the comand and the factory loom. It will prevent the Comand from switching off and allow it to illuminate with the lights switch as it simulates a Can Bus signal.

The best match for the W126 are the comands starting with the following codes A208, A210 and A163. You would be better getting one without Can bus but these are rare as so the above route is probably the way to go.

Extra bits not immediatly obvious are the GPS aerial, speed sensor kit if the W126 does not have one already, Navigation software, wiring for the Aux in and general wiring(C2 connector, Wiring for Cd chnager if adding this etc..). Also if you intend to add a DVD, TV you have one of 2 options. Firstly, you could use the MB tv tuner which will give you a aux in as well for DVD(remember you need the wiring for this as well as diversity aerials) or secondly you can get a AV adapter which will allow you to add the DVD etc.

All the bits are available from Steve and he will be able to give you more details.

·
Registered
CLK320
16 Posts
Firstly the Can bus simulator connects to the comand and the factory loom. It will prevent...

Firstly the Can bus simulator connects to the comand and the factory loom. It will prevent the Comand from switching off and allow it to illuminate with the lights switch as it simulates a Can Bus signal and yes it will work on the W126.

The best match for the W126 are the comands starting with the following codes A208, A210 and A163. You would be better getting one without Can bus but these are rare as so the above route is probably the way to go.

Extra bits not immediatly obvious are the GPS aerial, speed sensor kit if the W126 does not have one already, Navigation software, wiring for the Aux in and general wiring(C2 connector, Wiring for Cd chnager if adding this etc..). Also if you intend to add a DVD, TV you have one of 2 options. Firstly, you could use the MB tv tuner which will give you a aux in as well for DVD(remember you need the wiring for this as well as diversity aerials) or secondly you can get a AV adapter which will allow you to add the DVD etc.

All the bits are available from Steve and he will be able to give you more details.

·
Registered
200 Posts
ive just started this modification on my w126.
im using a mcs 2.5 and have made the mods to the dash for fitting. i too need help with the wiring and can any body help?

whos steve? im new to the forum!!

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Steve Krabbenborg is the Euro Parts Guru, aka MbenzNL. He sells and installs many European and hard to get parts, especially COMAND's. He installed mine.

www.mbenznl.com

·
Registered
1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
1,830 Posts
OK, I'll bite. What is Comand and what does it do. I recently purchased a 1989 300SE (W126). I am il-informed. [;)]

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
The Command is a display screen that you can turn on the radio, CD changer,...everything or at least most of the things are integrated into the Command. It also works as a navigation system if you had one. You can also integrate a phone to it and it would mute the music and go into phone mode.

·
Registered
1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
1,830 Posts
Thank for the explanation. Now it makes perfect sense.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts