Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a '99 CLK 320 cab and I'm looking to upgrade to the new model. I took a test drive yesterday and shocked to find out that the Comand screen was unreadable because of sun glare. In addition the salesman said if you want decent Navigation, get a Lexus. What's the verdict on the Comand system? I also checked out the Audi S4 cab and they seem to have that problem solved.
Thanks for any feedback

·
Registered
'05 Mars Red SL 500
589 Posts
I have command navigation in CLK 500 Cabriolet and there are occasional glare issues, but nothing severe. I'm pretty happy with mine. Kind of a rediculous statement the salesman said about Lexus. I have friends with Lexus navigation systems and I would hate the touch screen format they use. Being retentive that I am, I wouldn't want to have to clean the screen after each use.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

·
Registered
SLK 230 & SLK350 and Jaguar XF PL
568 Posts
Still alive and kicking Rod, on the glare issue if you take the roof down on any car unless its well hooded you will get some glare, having a mercedes sat/nav means you have a voice to guide you, enjoy the sun - bet its nice in tampa.

gary

·
Registered
Porsche 911/ BMW X5
3 Posts
In recent years, I have owned Lexus, Acura and CLK500 Cab, all with Nav systems. By far the best was the Acura and the worst was the CLK500. There is a problem with glare on the CLK, as I am sure is true with any cab, but the Nav system is still usuable. Despite this weakness, there is no Lexus that is really equal to the CLK. The back seat of the SC430 is non-existent and the car wallows around corners. In the end, you are not really buying a car for its Nav system. Go ahead and get the CLK with the Nav...even though it isn't the best.

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
mojomk - 2/13/2005 11:52 AM

I own a '99 CLK 320 cab and I'm looking to upgrade to the new model. I took a test drive yesterday and shocked to find out that the Comand screen was unreadable because of sun glare. In addition the salesman said if you want decent Navigation, get a Lexus. What's the verdict on the Comand system? I also checked out the Audi S4 cab and they seem to have that problem solved.
Thanks for any feedback
The CLK nav is in the instrument cluster. The LCD screen is there just for additional information.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
miroj - 4/4/2005 7:53 PM

The CLK nav is in the instrument cluster. The LCD screen is there just for additional information.
Don't you use the LCD screen for all your radio/CD/Navigation functions? If you're saying that you rely on the instrument cluster for all basic info, that probably solves the glare issue. Are there any other issues with the 209 beside the fact that there are a ton of them on the road in SoCal?
Thanks for info

1 - 6 of 6 Posts