Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im having this message in a constant loop and appears to indicate a bad chip in head unit. i really dont want to go aftermarket at this time. this should be repairable either with parts from another unit or a used comand assembly. if one could only trust ebay sellers. anyone else had this failure?

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
so im having this message in a constant loop and appears to indicate a bad chip in head unit. i really dont want to go aftermarket at this time. this should be repairable either with parts from another unit or a used comand assembly. if one could only trust ebay sellers. anyone else had this failure?

I swapped a HU some years back in my 05 CLK same as yours. Got a used one from ebay and it worked right away. But Sat radio and backup camera where missing.
I had to program it with SDS.
This is actually the reason I got my fist SDS system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
W220 Moderator
5,662 Posts
Have you actually tried putting a Battery Maintainer on the Car overnight and leaving that unit powered on, Key in position 1 ???????????????????

·
Registered
397 Posts
Have you actually tried putting a Battery Maintainer on the Car overnight and leaving that unit powered on, Key in position 1 ???????????????????
There is an idea I would actually disconnect the battery first to get a good reset and then let it run for a while.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
W220 Moderator
5,662 Posts
Hi,

Not a dig, :) .......... but I'm sick of typing it ;) ...........

Do not disconnect Battery, it resets very little if anything and usually creates more problems than it's worth.

If you must reset stuff then you need to buy SDS, that is as essential as spanners, sockets and screwdrivers, you will also need SDS to configure, (well at least check configuration), if you buy a new or used COMAND unit, (also applies to most other modules) :wink

There are a lot of DIY's on here who do not understand this and then keep moaning about how rubbish MB Cars are because they have changed the "xyz" and then get other problems................

Often through bad diagnosis (no SDS, just using cheap OBD stuff that reads naff all) or issues caused by wrong VERSION CODING !!

HTH,

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have tried every thing , disconnecting battery and then normalizing everything, I have a autel maxisys elite which does everything a sds can do . When I looked at the most ring settings I noticed the actual and stated order were off . I'll take a screenshot and get it on here. I thought the order of components was determined by where they were connected in ring (basically daisy chained) only thing I ever disconnected was comand unit in dash to remove it and check its connections. I've repaired various electronics over the years at the component level, and I like to try repairing something before replacing it, anyone can be a parts changer, what's there to loose ,can use it for parts for my wife's s55 her screen has some bad pixels. Anyway I found some info in the encyclopedia and it implied bad flash memory chip and most flash memory that I'm aware of does have limited read/write cycles before it fails . I guess I used mine up . Planned obselece is everywhere

·
W220 Moderator
5,662 Posts
Hi,

No need to apologise, easily rectified and it happens to all of us sometimes ;)

You keep making this statement .............

I have a autel maxisys elite which does everything a sds can do .
I own many many Dealer Level machines, including 2 times SDS, 2014 C3 Based and 2017 C4 Based, plus 3 very good Generics, one is the high end £2100 Autel J2534 unit and I can assure you it does not do everything SDS can do !!

I know that the Autel is not however affecting your current Dilemma, and yes it is one of the best Generics around per £££ right now, I also own 2 Snap On and Delphi too ;)

I think if I were in your shoes I would have fitted a decent Android system by now, they have so much more to offer compared to even the later COMAND that your Car has :wink

I have 2 Androids, one in my Pre Facelift W220, which was a no brainer due to the looks of the faultless but old style COMAND, and also one in my heavily modified SLK.

HTH, Cheers

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I should reword my statement my autel has been able to do everything on my s55 that I've needed coding the 250kph speed limiter to 300kph limit, coding the replacement pse pump , everything lately with the ABC system ,rodeo flush ,level calibration, plunger travel calibration etc . I haven't used sds so I can't really make that claim and I'm not slamming sds it just seem like such a archaic setup to use on such a sophisticated car even in 2004 . Also I should say I have access to the autel ,I don't actually own it so there's that. If I were spending money I would go with the sds. There are too many ways to wind up with junk that dosen't work or works for short time. Why can't they set it up on a android tablet with obd bluetooth interface like the rest of the world and charge fair price. That's what I like about the autel it plugs right in , auto id's auto scans every system (like 40+ computers/modules on my s55) and I've only recently got into the programming aspect. Anyway thats what I have and maybe I'll get the sds when I can find one that does everything it claims without all the hastle. Just the ancient laptop requirement alone is a turn off.back to the topic at hand I've looked at the threads about aftermarket unit and have similar issues. Dosent anyone make a decent head unit that can work with a 03 -06 w220 with Bose amp, fiber optics and steering wheel controls. Like not Chinese made. Where are the pioneer,alpine and other high end unit manufacturers or just a decent double din unit. The trim around the unit can be fabricated everything doesn't have to be idiot proof I know that's the trend nowadays but this should be old news as old as these cars are.

·
W220 Moderator
5,662 Posts
LOL, like I said that Autel is a great machine, far better than the Snap On I've had for years.

SDS these days can be had on Windows 7 Touchscreen Panasonic, and the C4 Wireless is fine these days. The OBD Bluetooth will not do programming work on W220's, well at least I've never seen one that does ;)

A lot of members on here don't seem to have much hassle once they get it set up, I think what you are saying was true a few years ago, but better suppliers about nowadays rather than playing the Hop Sing Lotus Flower lottery :wink

I think the China Erisin is great :wink

Looks factory, and does waaaaay more than the old style small screen COMAND I had, still does more than the Facelift COMAND as well and looks like that one as well ;)

I took a single DIN Pioneer out of my SLK and fitted a "Factory Look" ERISIN which actually looks a bit old skool so goes well in the roadster but has all the bells and whistles and a decent sized screen.

Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts