Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
now 2003 CL600. And wishing I kept all the ones I sold.
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried to read through most of the posts on Comand and haven't figured it out yet, so with the risk of being redundant I ask you what are the differences in the various Comand systems installed since 2000. [?]

I have just bought a 2000 S500 (yes [:D] I love it) originally delivered in the summer of 99 and it came with a Nav CD for Florida (where I live). The degree of detail is pretty lousy and the available options as one moves around the system seem very dated. I've got couple of other cars with Nav systems that are far superior.

I've been reading about newer CDs available with more detail, but I'm told they may not work in my system. I wonder if the hardware and/or resident software in the Comand system has changed, and if this can be upgraded. Like getting a new BIOS upgrade in a computer.

I read the Comand manual on-line provided by a forum for the 2001 car and it seems slightly different to the one residing in my car. My car was missing the manual.

So for the owner of an early 2000 S500 how can I improve the Navi Comand system, or do I need to buy a newer car?

Thanks for the feedback.

Papadelta
2000 S500

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,932 Posts
There is some good information on Nav systems on Wolfgang's site, http://www.whnet.com/4x4/radios.html

Your car has a COMAND 2.5. Don't confuse the numerial designation with technological advancement - COMAND 2.0 is more advanced than 2.5, and is used in later models. The number references the manufacturer. Yours is Bosch, and you must use compatible CDs. The system will not recognize incompatible CDs. Your system is not DVD capable.

Short of buying a new car, you might consider upgrading your COMAND system; however, you will be limited somewhat because your car has a D2B bus (Digital Data Bus) fiber optics system that is not compatible with the MOST bus used in later models. Before you shop for a system, you might want to consult with Steve Krabbenborg at MBenzNL, or "Scorchie." They are active in the forums, so do a search. They are very knowledgable folks in these matters.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the data.

Did you do anything with yours? Or are you using the original Nav and CDs?

How is your ice>link? I would like that on mine. I keep lots of music on my iPod that I burn into CDs and play in the car. How hard is it to instal?

Thanks,

Papadelta

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,932 Posts
I am still using COMAND 2.5. While I am attracted to the larger display of COMAND 2.0, I haven't upgraded my system. If I did, it would be through Scorchie or Steve, whom I recommended to you. I don't know of the business relationship (if any) between them, but they are cooperative in the forums. They can offer many options, including installation of European COMANDs that offer TV tuning.

I did update my CDs; before you do that, you need to know if you have a "C' or a "D" nav unit - you can determine that by referring to the following:
http://forums.*.org/forums/showthread.php?t=86257&highlight=D-Nav

If the site is asterisked out (one of these forums does that - wish they'd stop in the interests of the whole community) use MB Wo rld without any spaces. Alternatively, go to that site (be sure you use the .org address) and search for "D-Nav."

The newest available CDs were updated Feb '04, and in my view, have more detail than earlier versions. Availability of gas stations, parking, sites of interest, dealers, restaurants and the like is quite good if you know how to display it. I use the disc for Florida when in Tampa, and find it good (would never find my way to Berne's without it).

In addition, the new disc set has the whole U.S. interstate system on each disc. If you stay close enough to the highway, there is no need to change discs driving cross-country. Leaving Baltimore for Tampa, I insert the Florida disc; and vice versa on return.

If you need to update your discs, I suggest either the Mercedes update program (they run specials - unfortunately, not at present, but I updated my whole-country set for $149) - or alternatively, try http://www.continentalimports.com/nav_maps.html

I absolutely love my iPod installation - though a word of caution, you do not get all of the iPod screen information displayed on the car's displays, and likely never will. However, if you organize your music into playlists, and mount the iPod where you can see the screen periodically, you'll do OK. It takes some getting used to. See my tech pub on my installation at http://www.benzworld.org/publications/pub.asp?id=330

You might also find helpful the extensive discussion started by Adam Winer (awiner) to which I contributed, at http://forums.*.org/forums/showthread.php?t=93278&highlight=Skylaw Same caution on the name of the forum.

Since we're discussing the 2000 S500, I was also frustrated by the cell phone situation; fortunately, some smart folks had come up with solutions, and I wrote them up at http://www.benzworld.org/publications/pub.asp?id=317

With the telematics modifications, I truly enjoy my S500. The model has generally been prone to many maintenance headaches, and if I had it to do again I'd look for an '03 4-Matic. '03s and later tend to be more reliable. One recurring and very expensive problem ($6K or so if allowed to progress to full failure) is in the air suspension; cracks can develop in the upper mounting brackets of the air struts; they start in a circular depression and progress to the valve in the center. These are in plain view, where struts are attached to the body in most cars. It had begun in mine, noticeable only as radial paint chipping in the circular depression (a sign of metal fatigue). I had a slow leak, evidenced by the periodic cycling of the airmatic air pump when the car was parked. I replaced them for about $500, labor included. Leak is gone. Simple visual inspection caught that one - and can also catch an idler pulley about to separate (another common problem - usually cracks your oil pan when it lets go). Ask your mechanic to point these out - keep watch for them once in a while - and enjoy your car!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are a gentleman and a scholar and I thank you for the data.

Give me a call next time you come to Tampa and it would be my pleasure to buy you a drink.

Keep smiling,

P.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts