Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2009 slk55 amg/ performance pkg.
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I listened to the H.K sound system. I must say I was not happy.
It sounded distorted. I am a compser and I was able to tell. I used an original cd of a very well recorded material such as seal latest album. I sounded better in my Honda.

any thoughts.
Thanks.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
RE: command audio quality

What Honda and what sound system was inside it?

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts

I tend to agree. For the $$ they charge it does not sound very "hi-fi". Lots of speakers and lots of power but not much quality.

·
Registered
SLK 350 MT
148 Posts

compared to the blose systems in our audis, the hk is great. toss on any SACD and the hk shines, and it sounds even better with the top down at 80.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts

Are you sure its plays SACDs? I don;t think so. There is most likey a "red book" layer on the SACD also.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts

No car audio system that I'm aware of plays SA-CD's and the our H/K will not play DVD-A either. For a OEM system ours is the highest quality sound system I've heard. When mazeeka demoed the H/K system I'll bet dollars to donuts that it was set to speech or standard mode and not Logic 7. Also what is a "compser" so I can grow up to be one? [:D]

·
Registered
2004 SL600 Renntech ECU/TCU Upgrade...many other mods
238 Posts

Jeez, some people can't be happy with anything. If you want that kind of quality why don't you sit in your living room, or better yet go to a concert hall[xx(]

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

sorry for the my spelling..
I am a music composer.. I wright musiic for ffilm and produce music.
to listen to comercial music cd, standard mode is what you should be listening to not logic7.
Standard music is mixed in stero not surround. However there are some music cd which offer the a song in different version for example normal stero and surround.
To here the song in true surround if the song was mixed and encodes with dolby or dts surrond you need to have dolby or dts capable system to decode the dolby or dts compresion. the command as far as i knoe does not support dolby or dts decoding. Logic 7 mimics surrond.the over all performance of the 11 or so speakers is week. I Think the power amplifire is too small and is distorting the audio.

Any one knows the specs and the location of the amplifire and if it could be changed.
Thanks for listening.

·
BenzWorld R171 Host
SLK350
1,410 Posts

mazeeka - 3/24/2005 11:07 AM

Any one knows the specs and the location of the amplifire and if it could be changed.
Isn't the AMP part of the AGW (audio gateway)
If so this is a MOST device and therefore i reckon a replacement / aftermarket unit is nigh on impossible for this.

see attached pic for further info...

Attachments

·
BenzWorld R171 Host
SLK350
1,410 Posts

Two things just occured to me

1. if our AGW is the same as the one in the E-class its rated at 420 watts

2. Have you read about the JL Audio CleanSweep. It might be possible to add this device inline to the existing setup to improve audio quality. Link contained in the previous posting here.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1198520&posts=5&hl=cleansweep

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts

Julien - 3/24/2005 6:25 AM

No car audio system that I'm aware of plays SA-CD's and the our H/K will not play DVD-A either. For a OEM system ours is the highest quality sound system I've heard. When mazeeka demoed the H/K system I'll bet dollars to donuts that it was set to speech or standard mode and not Logic 7. Also what is a "compser" so I can grow up to be one? [:D]
OK, I admit I have no clue about these things. How would I know what "mode" I am in and how would I set the H/K system to Logic 7?

·
Registered
06 SLK350 Obs Blk,
51 Posts

Hey Mazeeka

I too am quite disappointed with the H/K surround system. The marketing of the system highlights how it will take a 2-channel CD and split it up around the vehicle to produce the best surround sound experience. Unfortunately, I think it may be more about the current recording of CDs and less about our system. Please correct me if I wrong, but the highest format for any CD today is 5.1. It was explained to me if there is no sound recorded to any one of the channels then you won't hear much. I did purchase some limited recorded layered CDs in 5.1. They do sound better. But not what I was expecting. I am being quite honest when I say that my former Miata S/E had better sound separation with its 6 speaker Bose system than my HK system. Of course the 268 horses outweighs the pitiful 143hp in my Miata. I'll take the horses over the music. I just feel taken considering the fact it is a Mercedes. Should I expect less? Drive Fast!

bobbyM

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
788 Posts

malibuite - 3/24/2005 11:35 AM

OK, I admit I have no clue about these things. How would I know what "mode" I am in and how would I set the H/K system to Logic 7?
Pg 34 of your COMAND manual.

Basically for the mode you're in get to menu screen (where you can adjust balance, Bass, Treble) hit the Sound Button, pick Standard, Speech, or Logic 7

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts

...to listen to comercial music cd, standard mode is what you should be listening to not logic7.
Standard music is mixed in stero not surround. However there are some music cd which offer the a song in different version for example normal stero and surround....

Thanks for listening.
Actually you should use Logic 7. Logic 7 is designed to take 2 channel sources and using sophisticated DSP algorithms and a proprietary 32 bit floating point processor to simulate 7.1 sound. So in a nutshell Logic 7 is for 2 channel and not multi channel sources.

Published car amplifier specs can be misleading at best. Wattage for instance can be measured at deferent impedance loads, at deferent THD ratings, with deferent loads on the power supply, and deferent amounts of time at that power. Home amps follow a strict code that used to be mandated by the FTC like: 80 watts per channel at 8 ohms all channels driven with less than 01% THD. If I remember correctly this is done with a continues sine wave and measured after 3 minutes of operation. Car amps do not follow this procedure. Having said that MB says it is a 380 watt system. Also it is very doubtfully the amps would have been driven to clipping that would cause audible distortion.

If you were hearing distortion (I'm guessing intermodulation and not harmonic) then it is likely the system you listened to was defective.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts

ianx, manchester - 3/24/2005 11:05 AM

malibuite - 3/24/2005 12:35 PM
press the sound softbutton as shown below...
Thanks, Ianx, but now I am more confused. Do I have to change the setting to Speech when using NAV? When would you use Standard as opposed to Speech?

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts

The command center defaults to speech for the WB and NAV and Logic 7 for CD and radio.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

05SLKMadMax - 3/24/2005 9:50 AM

Hey Mazeeka

I too am quite disappointed with the H/K surround system. The marketing of the system highlights how it will take a 2-channel CD and split it up around the vehicle to produce the best surround sound experience. Unfortunately, I think it may be more about the current recording of CDs and less about our system. Please correct me if I wrong, but the highest format for any CD today is 5.1. It was explained to me if there is no sound recorded to any one of the channels then you won't hear much. I did purchase some limited recorded layered CDs in 5.1. They do sound better. But not what I was expecting. I am being quite honest when I say that my former Miata S/E had better sound separation with its 6 speaker Bose system than my HK system. Of course the 268 horses outweighs the pitiful 143hp in my Miata. I'll take the horses over the music. I just feel taken considering the fact it is a Mercedes. Should I expect less? Drive Fast!

bobbyM

You will not be able to play 5.1 in our slk. pro logic is not a surround format.
to be able to listen in surround, you need decoding protocall in our system such as dolby or dts which they do not exisit on the slk . so when you boghut your surround cd the H.K. does not decode the 5.1 material.
Dolby and dts are simply compression protocalls used to combine 6 stems or 6 tracks and encodes and then the reciever decodes that information and places the mix into the right speaker/speakers.
so if the mix has no music or sound fx in the left rear surround speaker then you are not going and should not hear any tthing in that speaker.

I wonder where we can get the schmatics for the audio in the slk. I must change the speakers and the amp.
As an advice you should set you H.K. to standard not Logic 7 .

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts

All I know is that the sound system is better then in my old SLK. It's also better then any I've heard in an MX5 or in a friends Accord *shrug*

That being said, placing state of the art sound systems in a "convertible" is kinda funny, seeing as the car is meant to be driven with the top open (if possible), and when you do this, wind noise disrupts your hearing pleasure way too much.

I'm still interested in knowing what Honda it was, because I haven't been particularily impressed with any Honda speaker setup (which wasn't ICE improved).

·
Registered
SLK350
475 Posts

I guess I have to toss my two cents in. I like the HK and it does sound good with the top down at 85 mph (even without the rear wind screen). What I don't like is I seem to be adjusting the bass and treble for each CD and sometimes songs in the same CD. The volume is not always consistent either. It does seem to adapt to changing noise conditions in the car, but it could be more responsive. For a small car, it probably does OK. But I have to say my JBL in my Lincoln Continental sounds as good or maybe better since I don't need to futz with it all the time. If I wasn't so spoiled with my JBL, I might think the HK was OK. Still doesn't knock my socks off, though.

Roberta[:)][:)]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts