Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
E 320 CDI Avangarde station (W211 11/2003)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Thanks everyone ina advance for their data, info and Q&A.

A few months ago I bought a 11/2003 E320 CDI station with comand aps NTG1. The GPS unit was still using the original 2003 europe data map DVD (don't remember the exact version).

Recently I tried to update using a downloaded v10 version for the NTG1 but although the update appear to run as expected, the disk failed often when in use.

Before trying to burn another disk type and with better recording conditions I found the version v11 elsewhere.

A few days ago I've updated and the update run smoothly. But... Although I can see and search on the MAP and NAV menus I cannot use the "navigate to" function in NAV mode! When I set the option to show directions for a certain point, either previously in memory or any other one not in memory it doesn't pass to the drive to mode. It passes to the NAV entry menu without showing any error... (at least that I can see...).

Before I run a system reset and lose all my memory locations, anyone could point me any other options?

Note: I've posted this elsewhere also and in between I tried system reset with no results. Also, tried to go back to the 2003 version and received a DVD not on drive (or similar) error.

In the engineering menu I've found some NAV errors "NAV RG - description: Route_NewTrip.StartResult returned no route handle (invalid destination!)"-

Any help anyone?

Thanks in advance!

JCL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've confirmed that the original 2003 nav disk (COMAND APS VERSION 2003/2.2 MERCEDES-BENZ NAVIGATION SYSTEM A 211 827 39 59) could not be read again in the nav dvd reader in the trunk. The head unit, even after reset says there is no DVD on the nav dvd drive.

Any help?
Please...

JCL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Solution: EUREKA!!!

Well... EUREKA!!!

followed the instructions on another forum for the update of the NAV processor software with DVD Service Disc W211 589 15 22 00 (on the NAV Drive) and all is well with the latest version.

heres a quote from the user skylaw (that I'm most thankful for) with the instructions:

"(...) so I'm going to bring what I believe is the final solution - pending verification - over from the BenzWorld posts (though most of the information needed had been posted in MBWorld; this just brings it together).

There are two different situations.

Situation one is where the owner buys a new nav DVD but gets a "disc not recognized" readout when trying to use it. According to konigstiger's post at http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/sho...5&postcount=16 this situation is addressed by Service Disc W211 589 15 22 00. You can see photos of the disc, its jacket, and use instructions (such as they are) at http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/sho....php?p=2645155

As you may know, each new navigation map DVD contains a software update in addition to new map data. If you skip several map update discs, you may reach a point where your system will not recognize the newest map DVD as it attempts to update nav software. Service Disc W211 589 15 22 00 applies all of the "missing" pieces that would have been applied by each annual update, and allows the newest disc to be recognized. That Service Disc is used in the nav map disc reader, and it updates the same components that the sequential annual updates would.

If you update your map DVD each year, you should not have to apply Service Disc W211 589 15 22 00. I do not know how many discs you can successfully skip - it probably depends on the amount of software change year to year.

Situation 2 is the COMAND firmware update to provide ETA and cell phone signal strength while navigation is underway. As I read konigstiger's post, that is accomplished through Service Disc W211 589 14 22 00 - and it updates the COMAND head unit, not the nav system per se. My best guess is that it is used in the COMAND CD/DVD reader and not the nav disc reader, because this service disc is a CD, not a DVD, according to its verbal description.

Once you have updated the COMAND head unit, you should be able to follow the instructions at post 9 at http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=212945.

Monkeyclaw gave the correct information for the proper Service Disc and the instructions for selecting ETA and cell signal strength in his response at http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=228568

Starbrite mentions in the second linked post above that the COMAND unit update may remove access to the Engineering Menu (no big loss - little need for the owner to access it) and also removes the ability to make nav entries in motion. He goes on further to say that the dealer can re-implement the nav entries in motion feature (I often ask my passenger to make these entries while traveling, so it is useful).

With that, I believe we have our final answer. The fact that the two Service Discs carry a W211 designation, not W220, and differ in part number by only one digit didn't make this any easier to untangle.

Each Service Disc costs about $25. I do know that many dealers will apply the "situation 1" map update software free, if you have bought a new Nav DVD and get the "disc not recognized" readout. I don't know about the head unit update (situation 2) being done free."

I didn't use the 2nd situation for the update of the head unit (didn't want to loose the access to the engineering menu) and all went well.

her it stays for someone who has the same problem!

JCL

·
Registered
2004 S500 4Matic
228 Posts
I know you're in Portugal, but I'd like to know if you find the new DVD a big improvement? Have you found many new streets, or POI's? For someone who plans to buy the disc at a dealer (about $200 US), would it be worth it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know you're in Portugal, but I'd like to know if you find the new DVD a big improvement? Have you found many new streets, or POI's? For someone who plans to buy the disc at a dealer (about $200 US), would it be worth it?

Thanks.

Hello,

Well, in my case I previously had the 2003 version... So the improvements are perfectly visible. Many new roads/highways have been built since then and are already in this latest version. The same with the POI. Many more are visible in my surroundings in Lisbon.

I suppose that you being in North Carolina you want the US version... But the US version is completely different than this EU version. Even the base NTG1 equipment is different. I think that even the maps are made by different companies and have different software bases.

Put a post at the parent post folder for inquiring people in the US about the latest US version. They could help you more than I.

JCL

·
Registered
2008 US CLK550
6 Posts
NTG1 in 2008 US CLK?

Well, I finally traded off the 2000 S500. Was a wonderful car which I had upgraded with BT phone, 2002 Comand DX, 2008 maps and even used a tape device to input my WMAs from phone/player.

Now I've bought a 2008 US CLK, no phone but it has Nav and I-pod. Going to try a BT I-pod speaker devide to try to send non-Apple music, this weekend.

I believe I have a Comand NTG1, as the S-class pics are the closest thing I've found to my unit. The screen folds out on this unit to expose the map DVD and single CD slots. Does anyone know how to get into the engineering mode for this model of head unit?

Thanks,
SB

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I finally traded off the 2000 S500. Was a wonderful car which I had upgraded with BT phone, 2002 Comand DX, 2008 maps and even used a tape device to input my WMAs from phone/player.

Now I've bought a 2008 US CLK, no phone but it has Nav and I-pod. Going to try a BT I-pod speaker devide to try to send non-Apple music, this weekend.

I believe I have a Comand NTG1, as the S-class pics are the closest thing I've found to my unit. The screen folds out on this unit to expose the map DVD and single CD slots. Does anyone know how to get into the engineering mode for this model of head unit?

Thanks,
SB
Check this http://www.mercupgrade.......+FAQ-faq-10.html#2

or this one http://www.comand.......p/navigation-comand

and see which one is yours...

then search from there...

JCL

·
Registered
2008 US CLK550
6 Posts
Thanks, JCL. I've already researched those sourced and narrowed it down to NTG1 or NTG2. The problem is that this NTG does not have the slot above the screen like the NTG2s. That is why I assume it is NTG1. Also, there are significant differences between the Euro and US models. There is some sources that discuss a "facelift" version for the CLK. I've checked my VIN in my WIS and it is option "SA 530 - Comand APS DVD".

I've tried all the unlocked possibilities I've found so far, to no avail.

Still hoping someone can help.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, JCL. I've already researched those sourced and narrowed it down to NTG1 or NTG2. The problem is that this NTG does not have the slot above the screen like the NTG2s. That is why I assume it is NTG1. Also, there are significant differences between the Euro and US models. There is some sources that discuss a "facelift" version for the CLK. I've checked my VIN in my WIS and it is option "SA 530 - Comand APS DVD".

I've tried all the unlocked possibilities I've found so far, to no avail.

Still hoping someone can help.....
It is not NTGx. It is a COMAND MCS-II

From one of the websites above you can see that "the A/B/C/CLK/ML/R/GL in the USA is not fitted with COMAND-APS it is fitted with MCS-II which is completely different to COMAND-APS"

A search in Google for that model.

JCL

·
Registered
2008 US CLK550
6 Posts
That helped alot, Jose! The 2008 US CLK550 comes with the Comand MCS-II. I used OK + 7 + Mute and got to a programming screen. Unfortunately, none of the options I tried appeared to have any affect on the system. I would like to try to engage PTY or get some information from radio stations (song title, etc.). Also, I appears to not play .wav files from a cd, either in the head unit or the 6-cd changer. I may try to find an upgrade to the software as it is Aug 07 version and there may be some features added at a later date for this unit.

Thanks for the help!
SB

·
Registered
2008 US CLK550
6 Posts
Wireless for I-pod interface

Here's a follow up to my working with a MY2008 MCS-II head unit. The unit is the Alpine style, with the fold out screen and came equipped with the I-pod integration option. Not being an Apple guy, I searched for a way to convert the adapter for my Droid X. I found a Sprint I-pod bluetooth adapter for $24 at Amazon and purchased tti thinking it would be worth the cost to try it even if it didn't work. Well, it works! I can now synch via BT my phone and play any of my 1200 songs through the interface with digital quality. It does not show the title nor artist, but all of that is on the phone, anyway. Also, the steering wheel buttons do not allow switching of songs and the BT does not work for the phone integration. (That was a stretch target to hope for.)

Even so, I'm happy to have my BT phone synched to play music...and for only $25. Who says MB has to be expensive? To find one yourself, Google "iPod bluetooth adapter".

-SB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts