Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2007 ML320 CDI - Silver/Ash
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started to read the owner's manuals for my new '05 SLK 350.

I was surprised to find out that if an SLK is equipped with the COMMAND system (I am assuming this means the upgraded Navigation Unit for U.S. models) that you are able to play MP3 files copied on a CD from a computer.

The manual for the COMMAND system has alot of information on this, and I am happy that my car can accomodate this type of music playback. From what I read, once you make a CD with the MP3 files, you can play the files back from the single CD slot located in the COMMAND unit. This is great because the Video Screen should display the playing track's title and artist. I made an MP3 CD last night, and I'll post later with my results.

Additionally, I have also discovered a small input jack located in the glove box, on the far right side.
If you own an MP3 player (like an Ipod, Dell Jukebox, etc.) you can hookup the player up to the radio via this jack. A cord can purchased from Radio Shack for $10.00 which goes into the headphone jack of the MP3 player, and then goes into the jack in the glove box.
You can get the glove box closed, and then you can play back through the radio by selecting "AUX" from the Audio screen.

The big HOWEVER with this is that none of the information from the MP3 player is available on the car's screen. You have to make track selections directly from the player - which can be a distraction while driving.

Not sure if this info is old or new news to members on here, so I apologize if it is.

I'll be following up soon with my experience with the MP3 playback situation from a homemade CD.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
RE: Command and MP3 Playback

novabenz:
Mercedes is coming out with an iPod kit that will allow you to see the iPod info through your car controls, but it won't be available until after June...~$299 plus installation...[:D]

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts

novabenz - 2/21/2005 11:21 AM
...Not sure if this info is old or new news to members on here, so I apologize if it is...
Welcome new member. Remember when new and in doubt the search function can be your best friend. Here are just a few of MP3 threads.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1199513&posts=7&hl=MP3

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1198309&posts=8&hl=MP3

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1198267&posts=4&hl=MP3

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1196884&posts=6&hl=MP3

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Julian: Thanks for the head's up on the search function.

The Ipod interface: That will only work with Ipods (I have a Dell Music Juke Box). It will be interesting to see how they install this in an SLK which also has a CD changer in the glove box. [;)]

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts

Here's a link to the mercedes site on the iPod:

http://www.mbusa.com/main/container.jsp?/features/iPod/index.jsp

...[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts

novabenz - 2/21/2005 5:26 PM

It will be interesting to see how they install this in an SLK which also has a CD changer in the glove box. [;)]
Yeah I was wondering that myself, since I'll be going for the CD Changer. I'm assuming that the CD Changer uses the auxilary port in the glove box, that the iPod kit connects to??

My Dad has the suggestion of getting a splitter for the auxilary port, but from the photos I've seen it looks like the CD Changer is very close to the auxilary port - don't know if anyone can confirm or deny this??? [:)]

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

beverage:
I've got the disc changer.
It sits on the far left side of glove box.
The AUX port is located on the right side.
With the disc changer installed, there is little room left over.
I doubt that the Ipod hookup will fit in the glove box if the disc changer is installed.
For me, making an MP3 disc is one way I have gone for the single disc slot in the COMMAND unit, along with using the AUX port to run a line/cord to my Dell Jukebox (which has 500+ songs on it)
I am not sure how Benz will address the Ipod for SLK's equipped with a disc changer.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts

I have the disc changer and will remove it once I get the IPOD integration kit. I can load all my CDs on the IPOD and still have the single disc CD player in the dash if needed.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts

novabenz - 2/21/2005 8:21 AM

A cord can purchased from Radio Shack for $10.00 which goes into the headphone jack of the MP3 player, and then goes into the jack in the glove box.
You can get the glove box closed, and then you can play back through the radio by selecting "AUX" from the Audio screen.
What type of cord would I ask for at Radio Shack?

·
Registered
SLK 350 MT
148 Posts

it's a 3.5mm male/male stereo cable about 1 foot long, typically used for connecting audio devices to computers.
the part # is 42-2497, price is $ 4.29.
see it at : [http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F007%5F002%5F003%5F007&product%5Fid=42%2D2497]

·
Registered
BMW
900 Posts

novabenz - 2/21/2005 5:26 PM
It will be interesting to see how they install this in an SLK which also has a CD changer in the glove box. [;)]
What's the point of leaving the CD changer in there as well? I didn't even order it for that very reason. I placed my order nearly a year ago but I figured I would find a better use for the glovebox one way or another.

I'm using a Creative Zen at present (cheaper, better in some ways, much longer battery life, but not as small), but for me, this integration will be the USP which will make me to switch to iPod. There are no other players AFAIK which will allow such integration, as most have simple output jacks and no means of controlling the player externally.

Actually, it is possible to control many players (my Zen included) via a USB port, but I think expecting Mercedes-Benz to fit a USB2.0 port in the glovebox may be going a bit far. What would happen when you plugged your Windows laptop into it? Would it say "new hardware detected, Mercedes-Benz SLK" maybe [:)]

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts

Actually, on the R171 SLK, MB's iPod interface is not located in the glovebox as originally stated in the announcement but instead in the vertical compartment between the seats, just posterior to the compartment where the hands-free phone cradle would be. Right now, there is an elastic strap/band near the edge inside the lid of that compartment. That is where the iPod will be secured when connected to your SLK's COMAND unit. This is how it was shown at the MacWorld SF demo car. Someone snapped a pic and posted it here before but I can't seem to find it.

So if you want the iPod interface installed, there is no need to remove the CD-changer in the glovebox. Both can co-exist peacefully in your SLK if you so desire.

IMO, if music is your thing, the convenient integration, ease-of-use, and overall practicality are alone worth buying an iPod for even if you already have another type of MP3 player. Previous generation (3G) iPods will work and are very inexpensive if purchased used on ebay, from other resellers, or refurbished units directly from Apple. It's simply wonderful to have the same level of access and control to your music at home and in the car.

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts

novabenz - 2/22/2005 9:27 PM

beverage:
I've got the disc changer.
It sits on the far left side of glove box.
The AUX port is located on the right side.
With the disc changer installed, there is little room left over.
Excellent - that's good to know that the AUX port is semi-accessible!!!! [:D]

·
BenzWorld R171 Host
SLK350
1,410 Posts

masmole - 2/22/2005 4:36 AM

Actually, on the R171 SLK, MB's iPod interface is not located in the glovebox as originally stated in the announcement but instead in the vertical compartment between the seats, just posterior to the compartment where the hands-free phone cradle would be. Right now, there is an elastic strap/band near the edge inside the lid of that compartment. That is where the iPod will be secured when connected to your SLK's COMAND unit. This is how it was shown at the MacWorld SF demo car. Someone snapped a pic and posted it here before but I can't seem to find it.

So if you want the iPod interface installed, there is no need to remove the CD-changer in the glovebox. Both can co-exist peacefully in your SLK if you so desire.
The pics I posted of the mounting location is in this thread.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1197738&posts=9&hl=ipod

We should note however that, MB could move the location at any time they choose!!

Also, its my guess that the 'iPod kit' consists of a black box that sits on the 'MOST ring' and that the aux input for the iPod comes out this this black box and not the back of the COMAND headunit itself.

For the demo car, if this were the case, the logical place to mount this black box would be next to all the others in the 'MOST ring' on the module bridge., then run the cable a short distance to the central storage compartment. Seems to make sense to me.

So if thats the case, MB could locate the black box anywhere along the 'MOST ring' even near the AGW, which is in the passenger-side footwell.

As I say, mostly guesswork on my part, but I'd be disappointed if the iPod kit simply consisted of a piece of cabling into the rear of the headunit!!!!!!!

Also I don't get why MB are currently saying iPod readouts will only be available on the central display and not on the COMAND head units LCD monitor; sure the COMAND software may need an update but come on MB, surely this is within your capabilities!!!!!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Just got through reading all the responses above.

As for the MP3 file playback format - this worked with no problems when I tested the CD last night in the SLK. Song Title, Artist, etc. information all came up on the main COMMAND screen (very cool!)

As for the Ipod hookup - it will be interesting to see where Benz decides to place this and what the install consists of: a cable only, or a cradle/docking station to place the Ipod.

A poster above mentions that only the small, center display between our speedo and tach will transmit the Ipod info. For $300.00+ in costs, if the Ipod hookup does not display on the large, main COMMAND screen there is no way the cost is justified IMHO.

Assuming you have COMMAND in your SLK now, why not make a data CD with some MP3 audio files to listen to?
You get alot more of these on a CD and the bonus of having all the information up on the main COMMAND screen is very user friendly. [;)]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts