Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Mercedes Benz E320 W210
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recenlty got a 2002 C240MB (W203), I feel big now, and I want to install a comand 2.0 system in it. I have found a comand 2.0 that was taken out of a W463 model MB. I have been reading that this unit will require that i install a diffrent Gyro Adapter. My question is.
Where can I get this Gyro Adapter?
Are the Gyro Adapters hard to find or expensive?
I am paying $800 for the Comand head unit is this a good deal?
Oh I will have more question I like this forum it have been very helpful since i can't find a service manual on this car.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
I think it's an excellent deal for a G-wagon. You have to wire the speed sensor, don't know the details but it's something you need to do or it won't work right. The gyro is inside Comand and it has to be level to work, the one made for the G wagon is set differently than the C-class so the gyro won't spin as easily. The effects of that are unknown, will it wear out faster, will it provide incurrate feedback during some types of turns vs. others? Don't know the answers but I know it wasn't designed to be in a C-Class so buyer beware.

Also understand that you will need a compatible GPS antenna and C1/C2 connectors from the harness used in Comand cars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Comand 2.0

Hello
Thank you for your reply.

Is the Gyro clip something that can be changed. Well better question. Is the Gyo clip somehting that I can purchase or will I have to find a dead unit to fix the problem.

Wireing a VSS is not an issue all I have to do is find the VSS led going into the EEC.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
I've heard of one person opening up his Comand unit and resetting the gyro angle but that's beyond what I would be willing to risk. Also I hear that putting in the speed sensor wire is time consuming. Keep looking, I got mine for about $900 with the antenna and c1/c2 connectors. Also check the MB WIS for this install on my website, it will give you something to kill the time while you find the right unit.

What always concerned me is why are their so many G-wagon Comand units on the market all the time, it's not like I see many of these on the road.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Comand 2.0

I thought the Gyro clip was some thing that was external. I have not been able to find a MB parts store online, Not like you can find for FORD or Chevy. Maybe they are all in German!:confused:

Are the digital service manuals any good? I got one for my Mark series and it was not as good as I thought it should be.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
I have the WIS (the workshop manual) for Comand on my website but it's not going to show you how to convert the wrong part to the right part, it assumes you have all the right parts. You can get the WIS manuals on ebay, sometimes from England and you may have to go to the UK version of ebay instead of ebay.com.

There are sites that sell MB parts but they are far and few between as compared to what I can find for our American cars. I don't have that much need so I haven't researched them but they are there. Also I can get good discounts at local dealers by asking for it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will the system work in German and in the US

I just read a post that said that the navi disk in Europe will not work with the disk in the USA and vise sa Versa. is the really true. if so then i don't need the system at all. I already know that that after market will not I just figured that the OEM parts might work a little diffrent.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So If i got this unit and I went to Germany the german disk would work. and when I come back to the USA the USA disk will work. and I will be able to navigate

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
Yes, I installed both, the US Comand and the Euro Comand they both work here in So Cal. Some people prefer the Euro Comand because it has RDS and it saves the sound settings for AUX where the US Comand doesn't. Also, some people like the Brit accent on the Euro Comand. Lastly, you can add an expensive moduel to the Euro Comand that gives you a TV tuner and video in (for DVD/Play Station, etc).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I just got a unit off ebay. I hope i get it instaled before I have to drive to maryland and especially befroe I go to Germany. I will tell you how the system works I'm about to look for the disc for USA and Europe now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got it

I went ahead and ordered the comand 2.0 from ebay. I am told that it is out of a 2003 Mercedes w203. I hope that this is correct. the model number is BOSCH Model No.: 7 612 001 630

and the Part number is
MB Part number: A 203 827 52 42 80

Is there a chart that will tell me what year the unit actually is?
If this unit will accept the dvd version of navigational disc?
Where can i find the most up to the date disc on the Market?

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
If it can take DVDs your lucky, it won't work in your car but it's a better unit so you can upgrade your car instead to a 2005+. Keep in mind that the correct unit for your car is not plug and play, you'll have to change the car's wiring harness's C connector to C1 and C2 and also install a GPS antenna.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Buellwinkle I really have tp thank you for answering all my questions. without your help i would not have been able to complete my upgrade without spending lots and lots of money. I only hope the dealer has the c1 and c2 connections I need or a wireing harness that will do the job.

·
Registered
2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
714 Posts
Sorry about the bad info about the Euro Command. I thought you had a newer MOST equipped car. The different Commands I was referring to are for 05 and newer cars with MOST.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jpasley

It's Ok
I haven't got to that level yet.

I am a newbe I need to knew what the differance is between AMG, Sedan, Coupe and so forth.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
comad problems

I got my comand system installed today. It only took me like 45 minutes. I got two wireing harnesses from the dealer. that made it really easy. But I notice while I drive that the little yellow arrow is going in the wrong direction. and I after a certian number of minutes the comand system says turn on ignition system or unit will shut down in in ten minutes and then it shuts down. but the ignition is on. anyone else have this issue. with there system.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
That's odd, maybe it's faulty. The power comes from the connector you didn't mess with so I can't imagine why it's doing this since I assume the original radio didn't do this. The way MB radios work is that if you turn it on with the ignition on, the radio will automatically shut off in 30 minutes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the WIS (the workshop manual) for Comand on my website but it's not going to show you how to convert the wrong part to the right part, it assumes you have all the right parts. You can get the WIS manuals on ebay, sometimes from England and you may have to go to the UK version of ebay instead of ebay.com.

There are sites that sell MB parts but they are far and few between as compared to what I can find for our American cars. I don't have that much need so I haven't researched them but they are there. Also I can get good discounts at local dealers by asking for it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts