Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, I need to decide if I want to go with the Original 80s' AMG color matched version, which paints the dish to match the interior and the centers and lip to match the exterior,..

...or the more contemporary style of polished dish and the centers and lip to match the exterior ?

...of course my colors would be Petrol - Blue/Green and Creme I do like shiny.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Well then you just answered your own question. If you like shiny then the second option is your final answer. I personally like the shinyness better also

·
Premium Member
16,161 Posts
Gary, I know you liked the polished bundts. Therefore go with the polished lips and painted center.

Or for the mean time you could let them be for now (painted silver)...?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
OK, I need to decide if I want to go with the Original 80s' AMG color matched version, which paints the dish to match the interior and the centers and lip to match the exterior,..

...or the more contemporary style of polished dish and the centers and lip to match the exterior ?

...of course my colors would be Petrol - Blue/Green and Creme I do like shiny.
For your car id say polished lips with green center/lip edge.

It would kinda be your own thing :)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
The Red one looks like it stared in a James Bond flick!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I think I like the Bling as well! What was the saying from the Hot Rod days? If it goes, chrome it!

Dave

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Polishing

I just dropped them off at the wheel shop to have the dishes polished (one set by hand is enough). I'm going to see how they look leaving the centers silver.

FOR EXAMPLE -V V V

·
Registered
257 Posts
I just dropped them off at the wheel shop to have the dishes polished (one set by hand is enough). I'm going to see how they look leaving the centers silver.

FOR EXAMPLE -V V V

Think about keeping them polished but paint the lip the exterior color.

Will

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Good choice, I like silver centers. Painted can be a bit tacky with the wrong body color (only looks good on black)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
MBZ,

Looks like you'll be running them full time, have 'em on yet?

Dave

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sometimes...

things don't work out as you might like. It had been over a week that the wheel shop had them so I decided to stop in and check. When I dropped them off the guy assured me it would be no problem to polish the dish and lip on the wheels. Now he says his guys are afraid to work on them for fear of damaging the paint. So I loaded them up and have them back at home for now. I guess I'll wait till the new year to take any further action. Or maybe I'll mount them this way to see if I like them.

Good news is I was able to get new caps.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
May as well just get 'em on. They still look pretty sweet!

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Stripped

So I had trouble at the wheel shop and decided to DIY it, again. I've "got all the time in the world". (name that classic Rod Taylor movie). Some issues I'll address on two of the lips, but the good news is they haven't been sand blasted or chromed. You can tell by the clearly defined lettering in the last pic. Now comes the work. Here they are, B4, during, after, issues and close up.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I don't know much about these wheels, are they OEM OF SOME SORT? I see that they are 16".

OK, so I'll bite, why do you have all the time in the world?

Good motivation,
Dave

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I don't know much about these wheels, are they OEM OF SOME SORT? I see that they are 16".

Good motivation,
Dave
To answer your first question they were manufactured for AMG back in the day, not OEM Mercedes by any means.

As for Gary having too much time? I believe he retired recently. :D

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't know much about these wheels, are they OEM OF SOME SORT? I see that they are 16"...

Good motivation,
Dave
To answer your first question they were manufactured for AMG back in the day, not OEM Mercedes by any means.
HERE is a great thread explaining the finer points of AMG, PENTA and Ronal R9 wheels. All period correct for the model 123.

As for Gary having too much time? I believe he retired recently. :D
Yes, retired, 2 years ago Dec 2. The reference is for those old enough to remember the original "Time Machine" movie with Rod Taylor and Yvette Mimiuex. It's a line delivered by Filby played by Alan Young.

just having some fun

1 - 20 of 59 Posts