Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005 c230 Sport Sedan
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this what the tranmission mount looks like when it has "collapsed"?

I checked out a new one at the dealership, which looks like there should be a 1/4" gap between the middle section and housing. On mine (above pic) the gap is more like 5/8-3/4".

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,364 Posts
It will drop when you put weight on it. Are you getting noises or vibrations? The past should only cost around $50-$60, and it's a fairly easy DIY job to replace (support the transmission, remove the mount).

·
Registered
2005 c230 Sport Sedan
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I get a bit of a rumble when I hit the bottom of a dip in the road, at the moment the car takes a bit of a g-force. Otherwise the car drives fine. I was hoping to get confirmation from someone who either has a good mount or another bad mount, with a pic to compare with.

There aren't many pics of these mounts in the car, that show the vertical position of the inner bar. However for the one I checked out at the dealership I tried putting some weight on the inner bar (evenly on both sides ... the bar does pivot pretty easily) and could not get it to drop at all. So my guess is that mine's tired out and needs replacing.

Lemfoerder mounts are around $30 plus shipping. The local dealership is about double that right now. Yes, it looks like an easy job to do -- I just need to get a piece of 2x10 to support the tranny with the floor jack. Once I replace mine I'll post a corresponding picture so you can see the difference (which hopefully there will be one!)

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,364 Posts
FYI, parts.com is about $30, too, and it's going to be a genuine MBZ part shipped from a dealer. Go to parts.com and add the part to your cart, then print it out, take it to your dealer, and see if they will match it.

·
Registered
2005 c230 Sport Sedan
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reminder about Parts.com ... I've checked them out in the past and they always seemed to be higher priced than the others ... makes sense if they are selling MB brand parts.

I just looked, it's $36 and change, $11 shipping, $2 handling, so almost $50. I'll see what the dealership will do tomorrow.

Interesting though, Parts.com shows list price as $51, whereas the dealership originally quoted me $74 and they may have said that was the discounted price.

·
19,364 Posts
Dealerships lie. Like I said, print out the parts.com prince and ask them to meet it. If not, order form pats.com and save $23.

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
The one I replaced looked almost perfect, but was causing a real rumble

Oberoi

·
Registered
2005 c230 Sport Sedan
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dealerships lie. Like I said, print out the parts.com prince and ask them to meet it. If not, order form pats.com and save $23.
Well, I called this morning -- the guy said he would come down to $53+tax but no further. I asked why their prices were so high and he mentioned "regional pricing" ... after all MSRP stands for "suggested" retail price -- they have the right to take whatever the market will pay. Out here there are a lot of people driving around in Mercedes who don't know the first thing about servicing them, and will pay $1000 for a repair without too much of a complaint. The MB Indy labor charge here is $130-150 ... I hate to think what the dealership labor charge is ... ($190?) And I wouldn't expect them to discount too much over the parts counter, since those are the parts prices quoted on the repair bill when you have your car serviced there.

The parts guy I usually work with there was out sick today ... I'll check with him when he gets back in to see if he'll give me a better price. Otherwise, as you say, both parts.com and rmeuropean have much better pricing on MB brand or OE parts. I also buy through partsgeek and rockauto.

·
Registered
2005 c230 Sport Sedan
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Just got my shipment from RMEuropean ... here's the positioning of the core in a new mount:

So I would definitely say my mount has collapsed. I'll post another pic once it's on the car to see how much it drops under load.

·
Registered
2005 c230 Sport Sedan
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just installed the new mount:

Here's what the old one looks like out of the car:

Pretty tired looking, although the new mount doesn't sit much higher in the car than the old one did ... I guess it's hard to tell sometimes.

·
19,364 Posts
So, can you tell any difference in how it feels?

·
Registered
2005 c230 Sport Sedan
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
After two days, from what I can tell the rumble/growl is gone, general movement of the car seems a bit tighter, and engine noise and vibration is more isolated from the passenger compartment.

So the rumble I am referring to was, when starting up in the morning it sounded like the exhaust was leaking a bit, and when I drove through a dip in the road it got a bit louder for a moment with the increased g-force. I suppose this was the mount bottoming out and transfering engine/drivetrain vibrations directly to the body of the car through the support crossmember.

I'm convinced that you should consider refreshing any rubber related to movement or vibration of the car every several years even if it doesn't appear to visually have a problem.

In the case of this mount there was a visual droop, small but apparently significant ... if the new one drops 1/4" under load and the old one dropped 1/2", although that is only a 1/4" difference in height at rest it is a 2x difference in rubber elasticity -- so over dips it's going to move 2x the new one. With such a small bottom clearance it means bottoming out.

With each change I have made to my car -- shocks, struts, strut mounts, sway bar links, upper control arms, lower control arms, and now the tranny mount -- the feel of the car moved a notch back towards the way it felt when it was new.

This rear mount is such an easy changeout I would suggest doing it every 5 years.

·
Registered
2003 S55 AMG
9 Posts
Gents,
I experience that on my W220 S55 AMG Kompressor these rear mounts not last more than a year before they start bottoming out during hard pull-off. They are indeed cheap and easy to replace but it dies irritate me that they last on a short time. All W220 models use the same mount from 220 HP to 500 HP which is a wrong design to me. I now am experimenting (Not because of cost but because of the short life span) with reinforcing a "Old one" myself. As per the adapted picture of the mount by "Mercedesmedic.com" (Hope they don't mind) I inserted 2 x 10 mm solid rubber beads (Tried hollow rubber tubing first but they collapse quickly) in that gab (Rather difficult to force in but with patient you get it done) to reinstate the original higher position of the inner part and to stop collapsing as they work as a wedge. So far so good but I will drive with it for a while and then inspect the status of it

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts