Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 different mechanics told me I had collapsed motor mounts and I noticed that I could feel the motor vibration, especially in reverse and when shutting off the engine. So I purchased a new pair online for $90 and the transmission mount for $18. Without the proper jacks to change them myself, I took it to Vaughn Motorwerks for repair. Labor was $200 (2.5hrs) and the car feels much smoother now. In case anybody is curious what collapsed mounts look like I've attched photos. Notice the oil that has leaked out of one of them. It was really smelly.

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But all shops (unless you've got a buddy) charge based on book rates, not actual time. MB dealer & an independant shop both quoted 3 hrs labor! So I went with the 2.5 hr "deal". I could've bought a floor jack, jack stands and a creeper for that, but at least it was done right....

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
WB9AXO said:
But all shops (unless you've got a buddy) charge based on book rates, not actual time. MB dealer & an independant shop both quoted 3 hrs labor! So I went with the 2.5 hr "deal". I could've bought a floor jack, jack stands and a creeper for that, but at least it was done right....
Shop rates are shop rates, if you can't do the job yourself, your screwed. You were right to go with the 2 1/2 job...... :D You saved a few bucks anyway....
Thanks for the photo's.

·
Registered
1985 500SEL, 2006 S500 AMG Sport, 2009 SL550 AMG Sport
230 Posts
wow they look shot.....

i gave up trying to replace my mine today.....the left side mount (facing the engine) is right under the supercharger and access to the bolt way too difficult like Bazzle had mentioned earlier. i know it is lot easier to get it done but I'm on a mission.....i am going to try it 1 more time. if i remove the supercharger, access to the bolt is wide open. I'm going to try that route.

both of my mounts have drained. here is a pic...

Attachments

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
lushansilva said:
wow they look shot.....

I gave up trying to replace my mine today.....the left side mount (facing the engine) is right under the supercharger and access to the bolt way too difficult like Bazzle had mentioned earlier. i know it is lot easier to get it done but I'm on a mission
Not sure what the issue is, but have you tried these:

"flexible" wrenches ?

Craftsman 42432 14 pc. Locking Flex Wrench Set with BONUS Deluxe Roll Pouch at Sears.com

http://s7.sears.com/e2/eVideo.jsp?video=Sears/Videos/lockflex.swf

·
Registered
230 Posts
Bazzle said:
Good luck. If you remove SC please post pix for others ;)

Bazzle
I was soo ready to proceed this morning but, i have too many things going on this weekend and it was bugging me and wanted to get it done soon. i decided to take it to a local shop in VA (LE Auto, falls chruch) and got it done for $150 labor and was ready within 2 hrs. the mounts we completely broken and drained. the ride and acceleration is lot smoother now. i still have to get the transmission mount done later this week since i didn't have the part with me.

as far as the SC goes, it looks simple and bit time consuming......i would have love to have taken some pics in the process. oh well, may be next time. once again than you everyone for your valuable input! :bowdown:

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
620 Posts
I love where the tag on the ad for those wrenches reads, "Get it in time for Mom." LOL!

·
Registered
230 Posts
99 SLK 230 said:
I love where the tag on the ad for those wrenches reads, "Get it in time for Mom." LOL!
hehehehe.....:D

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes-Benz SLK230
25 Posts
This might be a stupid question, but I think I also have collapsed motor mounts because of intense vibration when I shut off the car or put in in reverse. I also have oil on the floor of my garage. My question is would this cause the oil light to come on in my car, or am I just unlucky enough to have more than one problem?:confused:

·
Registered
99 slk230 sport
759 Posts
if you want something screwed up do it yourself instead of paying someone else to screw it!

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
EricM6472 said:
This might be a stupid question, but I think I also have collapsed motor mounts because of intense vibration when I shut off the car or put in in reverse. I also have oil on the floor of my garage. My question is would this cause the oil light to come on in my car, or am I just unlucky enough to have more than one problem?:confused:
Sounds like two different things to me. The vibration symptoms you describe are most likely motor mounts. However I've noticed after I had mine changed, the engine still shakes when you shut it off. It's just more dampened now.

Regarding the oil on the floor, I doubt your mounts are causing this. There's not much oil in them. Oil light sounds like low oil due to a leak. I'd have them both checked out.:(

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
EricM6472 said:

Ahemm, have you checked the oil dipstick level??

BAzzle

1 - 15 of 15 Posts