Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
70 406
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would happen if the Unimog were injected with heated alcohol or gasoline steam? In a very fine mist I think it would help get the cylinders firing sooner. Just small dose of something that will ignite faster then cold diesel.

anyone try to start it with propane valour ? I know ether is no good I was thinking of something less lethal. I saw the heated windshield nozzles and was thinking that could be a good idea if it sprays a small burst of hot fuel in the intake

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,037 Posts
Why no ether/starting fluid. We used it all the time on both diesel's and gasoline engines at the ski area to get frozen and stubborn vehicles started. No ill effects on the engines or us.

·
Registered
1957 Unimog 30, 1999 E320, 2004 E320
352 Posts
Talking about ether is like talking about religion to but here it goes anyway.

I'm of the opinion ether is an acceptable tool to use to start a cold diesel so long as it is use properly.

For me, I start with rolling the engine over with no fuel. This will get the cylinders warmed up a tiny bit.

Second, I start to apply a little bit of fuel, my rational behind this is shooting a large blast of freezing fuel cold fuel will only suck the little bit of heat you have out of the cylinder. By injecting a tiny amount of fuel into the cylinder you'll (hopefully) create a bit of a combustion without loosing your heat from compression and that will help warm the combustion chamber up even more but you won't be injecting enough fuel to make the engine run on it's own at this point.

I continue to increase the fuel supply and carefully listen to the engine to see if I can hear it picking up speed. If you can hear it picking up speed your on the right path.

If the engine doesn't seem to be firing then I break out the ether and give a short mist in the area of the cleaner/snorkel and at that point the engine will start (at least for me up to -20C).

Having said all of that, if your batteries and starter are not 100% you'll likely have a lot less luck, the key here is rolling your engine over at a decent speed for an extended time (10-15 secs max for me).

It makes me sick to my stomach to watch some idiot on YouTube blast half a can into a filter and then proceed to roll the engine over, you might as well cover then engine with gas and light it on fire to warm it up if you ask me.

On a similar thread, I once read about a guy who ran his (expensive) diesel pusher motor home out of fuel. He ran 2 and a half cans of ether through the engine before the fuel system primed itself. As far as I'm concerned it you don't have the brains to prime a diesel fuel system or at least pay someone to do it for you, you shouldn't own a diesel.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Jason

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,266 Posts
Why not add the factory Start Pilote system like Normal Bloke says? A friend of mine (miniman) added one to his 406 and said the plumbing was a no-brainier. I've read the Mercedes branded Start Piolte fluid contains some top secret upper cylinder lubricant (I'm not saying it does, just what I've read) and the fluid is available from the local vendors (at least in North America)

Just my .2 cents.

·
Registered
1983 U1200 (parted out), 1979 U1700L
891 Posts
I have a factory system off my 1200 for sale if some one wants it?

PM me.

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,037 Posts
Starting with ether/start fluid should take no more than a quick spritz in the direction of the air intake. And you should at least attempt to start normally if you can before you apply any starting fluid.

·
Registered
Vehicle: 1397 Portative Organ Normally Aspirated....U411, U2450,463 300GD
1,501 Posts
100 percent ether and 10 percent snake oil....Give it a fancy French name like 'Start Pilote' and you can charge double....Croque Monsieur...isn't that just a ham sandwich?

·
Registered
U140 , U900 , 419 SEE
1,088 Posts
Factory Start pilot works great. I think an engine block heater or oil heater would help me though the winter too, its been in the 20's this week!

ACUF

·
Registered
U1600Ag
1,357 Posts
Factory Start pilot works great. I think an engine block heater or oil heater would help me though the winter too, its been in the 20's this week!

ACUF
You need to get a coolant heater, the best mod ever !

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I think the warmer you get the motor before you start it the better for it in the long run...If I really get nutty I might install a pre-luber.My feeling is that would also increase longevity. My 2.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
No, out West THAT is real winter...with all 3 of those things you are hedging your bets...battery warmer good idea.

·
Registered
U1600Ag
1,357 Posts
No, out West THAT is real winter...with all 3 of those things you are hedging your bets...battery warmer good idea.
I wanted to get the type of batt. warmer that you stick under the battery, but since I installed the coolant heater, no need to buy into that nor use my vintage-looking wrap-around brown battery blancket.

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,827 Posts

If it looks like a hot ham and cheese, smells like a hot ham and cheese and tastes like a hot ham and cheese, chances are it's a hot ham and cheese. Funny french name or not.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts