Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300SD
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old W126 finally rolled off a truck and back into my life this morning. I want to hit the restoration process immediately so I don't lose focus. I'm already aware it doesn't make sense financially.

My friend mentioned I should do research on having cars painted in winter and said I should wait until spring. He didn't provide any solid reasoning. From what I can see it's just going to take longer to harden. Can anyone chime in as to whether I should wait or if it's not a not a deal?

In case the information is useful, I'm in Denver, car sits in a garage that's open to the elements but won't be driven until after winter.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
35,916 Posts
Start with reloading picture to imgur as photobucket sucks.
I don't spray cars, but I do spray houses and small metal items and in cold weather the paint likes to run like crazy. Job-starving painter will take job regardless the weather, but that has big potential for going bad. Still a shop with heated spray booth should do it with no sweat.
Good luck with your project. I was always fascinated with W126 and see them in San Francisco area still as daily drivers, but the 112HP diesels deliver is too low for comfort.
Still would I run into good W126 coupe, regardless the engine that would gain my interest.

·
Registered
68 250S, 91 300se, 98 SL500, 450SEL 6.9, 14 CLS550 Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
4,163 Posts
Unclear if you intend to do painting yourself or send to shop. Shops are heated so no big deal.
There are temperature ranges for paints and reducers, you should follow their guidelines.

Primers are probably a lot less sensitive. Build a plastic tent and throw a big heater in it.

·
Registered
1983 300SD
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, forgot to include that. I'll be having a shop do it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
414 Posts
I don't know what part of the country you're in, but here in the southeast U.S. it is often terribly humid in the summer. Lately, we've had nice days in the low 30% range. Rare occasions it can get to 17-19%, but I haven't seen it in a couple of years. For this situation (humidity), October to April has been recommended as the ideal time for repaint by some of the bodyshops I've spoken with. Even thought they are in a temperature controlled environment, the A/C will only filter out so much humidity.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts