Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
1,160 Posts
Vincent:

On our ML500, I'm dealing with similar issues in terms of the '3 light salute' with beeping alarm above 4 mph. limited to gear 1-2 ergo Limp Mode.

So you can't really drive on highway; just up the street to test.

I'm thinking I MAY have a bad ESP/BAS Control module as well as a wiring fault as I get no signal from 3 of my 4 ABS VSS (aka wheel sensors).

I have read every thread on every forum on this matter. From your codes I bet you have an intermittently faulty ESP / BAS - mine was going out slowy - it may still be bad - but I have broken wiring issue likely as well.

What happens is there is a fan in the bottom of the w163 Relay / Fuse Box that NOBODY thinks much about, but when it dies - and they die pretty quickly - then the temps in the Box soar - how can they not - its under hood next to the engine.

Mine was dead from the day I got the ML. Those who've heard theirs say its an audible whirring or whining noise that runs once key is on - engine running & for some interval on a timer after hot shutdown.

I'll be fixing mine soon as part of this process - I'll try to post a quick YouTube so others car hear it run properly.

So, between the engine heat, dead Relay / Electronics cooling fan (it's buried at bottom of Rear portion of Box) and vibration, the two Boxes that have delicate circuit boards - the main Engine ECU + the aforesaid ESP / BAS box, you have a world of electrical faults just begging to occur.

I wondering MB engineers couldn't have moved that delicate stuff away from the Engine bay to the passenger compartment. Doesen't seem it would have been hard - and we'd have less headaches for sure.

Anyhow, hope this helps give you some direction.

Keep an eye on my thread it may help you here & there.

Over & out - David in Texas

Reactions: Vincent Hartcup

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes ML-320
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Interesting so does your cars lights/ limp mode etc disappear after
15-20mins or so of driving like mine?
Or does it stay on? My limp mode seems to lock into whatever gear im in at the time.. for example.
Once engine starts to warm up then I turn the engine off. It. Doesnt all clear straight away so after 10 mins ill turn it back on and it may take 10 seconds for the limp mode to kick in with the lights and beeping etc.
Then another 10 mins later it may be 40-60 seconds before it happens but usually after about 20-30 mins or so I can restart and it all goes away. This is the most accurate description I can come up with.
I have tested the continuity on the 2 pins number 8 and 15 the thread Jim on the forum describes and reccomends to the abs hydraulic module board also I have replaced the brushes in the abs motor that where worn out... this is also very common until they brought out the 4 sets of brushes.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes ML-320
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok great will get onto that Thankyou very much, this forum is Bloody Amazing!!!! Here is a pic of the codes that came up this morning after they where all cleared today... it read a fault about a pre CAT sensor not reponding... can I check those o2 sensors with live data? What do I look for? Thx

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Not 100% sure but your Circuit boards in the ESP/BAS module or the ABS module are probably reacting to temperature swings hence your erratic operation.
That's my guess & your specific codes would point to one or the other.
Also a very dirty connector could be at issue with the ABS module with its "washer fluid leaks" a prime cause.

(On our ML no leaks in that area!)

So happy troubleshooting !

David in Texas

Reactions: Vincent Hartcup

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
3,696 Posts
Ok great will get onto that Thankyou very much, this forum is Bloody Amazing!!!! Here is a pic of the codes that came up this morning after they where all cleared today... it read a fault about a pre CAT sensor not reponding... can I check those o2 sensors with live data? What do I look for? Thx
What pic?

Yes, with the proper scanner.

One of many, for you to search for and read or watch -

·
3,696 Posts
There seems to bee a humming sound coming from below the widow washer reservoir while I have ignition on as im checking codes.. is this normal? Anyone know what this sound is and where its comming from?
Start a new post on this other topic.
One topic per thread please.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes ML-320
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
These are the latest codes im getting.I have a spare ESP Controller how many numbers need to be exactly the same? Thx

·
Registered
W163 W202 W203 W246 MB100D
68 Posts
hi mate, maybe just me, I think better to show in which module reported which trouble code, I'm not familiar with autel but the above looks like an autoscan of all modules?
ETS module
  • C1000
ECM (im guessing which module reported this error)
  • P0133
  • B1041 was reported by ECM?
Also from recent theoretical learning, if few other modules point to communication issue with 1 module (ESP/ETS in your photo above), that is likely the problem (even if that module is reporting no trouble codes)
in this case, it reported C1000 itself so it kinda confirms something?

re part number
I think all numbers in the part number need to be the same/exact match assuming this is the original module that came with the car (someone else did not replace in the past with wrong one) - will let the experts confirm :) probably need to check with your VIN

good luck and have fun troubleshooting!

·
3,696 Posts
These are the latest codes im getting.I have a spare ESP Controller how many numbers need to be exactly the same? Thx

Scan an erase codes.
See if these pop up again.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Start a new post on this other topic.
One topic per thread please.
Sometimes a humming is the ABS pump running.
My K25 ABS relay overheated & fried / stuck open.
When this occurred the ABS pump ran loud & even with key off.

To check if this is your case swap out this K25 ABS relay with a 'less critical' working one like the rear washer pump one.

There are like 5 or 6 that are identical.

I did have to order a new one for $20 ish eventually.

My ABS pump wasn't damaged but Ive heard of some who ignored it until their battery died or pump burned up.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes ML-320
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
hi mate, maybe just me, I think better to show in which module reported which trouble code, I'm not familiar with autel but the above looks like an autoscan of all modules?
ETS module
  • C1000
ECM (im guessing which module reported this error)
  • P0133
  • B1041 was reported by ECM?
Also from recent theoretical learning, if few other modules point to communication issue with 1 module (ESP/ETS in your photo above), that is likely the problem (even if that module is reporting no trouble codes)
in this case, it reported C1000 itself so it kinda confirms something?

re part number
I think all numbers in the part number need to be the same/exact match assuming this is the original module that came with the car (someone else did not replace in the past with wrong one) - will let the experts confirm :) probably need to check with your VIN

good luck and have fun troubleshooting!
I managed to somehow find a "ESP Controller Module" at the wreckers today with exactly the same part number and when I connected it for the first time.... there where no beeps and it started fine not in LIMP MODE. I will see tomorrow if it has fixed the problem.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I managed to somehow find a "ESP Controller Module" at the wreckers today with exactly the same part number and when I connected it for the first time.... there where no beeps and it started fine not in LIMP MODE. I will see tomorrow if it has fixed the problem.
that sounds promising! hopefully its all good when you test it tomorrow, good luck!

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes ML-320
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
that sounds promising! hopefully its all good when you test it tomorrow, good luck!
Started up this morning and BOOM it works... only came up with steering sensor fault even though I did the wheel left to right and deleted the fault codes last night.. maybe it will take a few attempts to work.. but im very pleased.. as the esp light comes on but after goes away

·
Registered
68 Posts
congrats solving the issue!
hopefully the next few ones are easier and doesn't require any more module replacements
Cheers

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes ML-320
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
W
Vincent:

On our ML500, I'm dealing with similar issues in terms of the '3 light salute' with beeping alarm above 4 mph. limited to gear 1-2 ergo Limp Mode.

So you can't really drive on highway; just up the street to test.

I'm thinking I MAY have a bad ESP/BAS Control module as well as a wiring fault as I get no signal from 3 of my 4 ABS VSS (aka wheel sensors).

I have read every thread on every forum on this matter. From your codes I bet you have an intermittently faulty ESP / BAS - mine was going out slowy - it may still be bad - but I have broken wiring issue likely as well.

What happens is there is a fan in the bottom of the w163 Relay / Fuse Box that NOBODY thinks much about, but when it dies - and they die pretty quickly - then the temps in the Box soar - how can they not - its under hood next to the engine.

Mine was dead from the day I got the ML. Those who've heard theirs say its an audible whirring or whining noise that runs once key is on - engine running & for some interval on a timer after hot shutdown.

I'll be fixing mine soon as part of this process - I'll try to post a quick YouTube so others car hear it run properly.

So, between the engine heat, dead Relay / Electronics cooling fan (it's buried at bottom of Rear portion of Box) and vibration, the two Boxes that have delicate circuit boards - the main Engine ECU + the aforesaid ESP / BAS box, you have a world of electrical faults just begging to occur.

I wondering MB engineers couldn't have moved that delicate stuff away from the Engine bay to the passenger compartment. Doesen't seem it would have been hard - and we'd have less headaches for sure.

Anyhow, hope this helps give you some direction.

Keep an eye on my thread it may help you here & there.

Over & out - David in Texas
Well I cant thank you enough... You where spot on.... I managed to find a ESP Controller module at the wrecker with exactly the same part number and grabbed a fan. I cleaned the motor out with BRAKE CLEANER as it was very dirty and slow when I tested it.... put it all back together.. next morning.. no lights except ESP LIGHT.. read the codes and it said the steering wheel sensor was out. I calibrated it again this morning.. so my main problem has dissapeared thanks to you and the members on this forum. My Autel MD-802 has been FANTASTIC!!! Highly recommended!! Your all Bloody LEGENDS!!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.