Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1992 500SEL
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still having difficulty with starting my 1992 500SEL when it's cold (sub freezing weather here 24/7). The first start of the day is very difficult. After the first start it seems OK. There's loads of cranking power with the new battery. Plugs, plug wires, dist cap(s) and rotor(s) all new. It's still cranking and sorta firing but not starting. Several minutes of cranking have been able to eventually start the car. When it does go, it just takes off and runs fine. I can start and stop throughout the day without event. The process is no-doubt very hard on the starter and other factors so I want to solve this problem.

I ordered up a new Fuel Pressure Regulator, and Fuel Filter in hopes of solving this problem. They are cheap enough and likely suspects for giving trouble so it was a no-brainer. As I was researching the parts, I discovered a part called COLD STARTING VALVE on the list of 'fuel components.' It's well over $100 and is more than just a spontaneous "buy it and try it" attempt at a repair.

My question is really multiple questions. What is this valve? What does it do? Where is it located? Are there maintenance issues related to it? (cleaning, wires, etc) Could this be my problem?

As always, thanks for the expert help in keeping this old girl running...

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Cold start valve increases amount ofpetrol into the manifold..the electronic choke.. it is switched on when manifold is cold and turns off when it gets warm..You might want to check if it is working by unpluging it when the cold engine is running. if the speed drops or it cuts out.. it is working ok. I would look at the ignition coil..in low temps they dont function as well as they shoud .. especialy if they are older..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts