Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 300D, ISU Formula
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an 82 300DT that dosent seem to want to start at less than 30 degrees. I let the glow plugs heat about two times, crank and hold. The engine sounds like its firing on maybe one or two cylinders, but wont keep running. If I hold the starter for more than 10 seconds it will start grinding, and then quit. The battery is only a year and a half old, with a new fuel filter, and the valves were adjusted last Summer. Im thinking the problem could be the starter, but the car has no problem starting at over 30 degrees, with no grinding. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
82 300D, ISU Formula
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The compression is fine, even on all cylinders. The car runs like a champ when its warm, and the engine only has about 80,000 miles on it. The funny thing is that I had this car starting fine during the dead of January at 5 degrees without a block heater. I would use a block heater, except I am parked in a apartment parking lot, with no access to an eletrical outlet

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
If the g plugs were starting the car in five degree F weather in January it would be very strange for them to need replacement in March. Get a meter and check the resistance on the plugs; s/b less than .5 ohms.

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
1,606 Posts
check the glow plugs. also i am concerned about the starter grinding. the engine needs to turn 100rpms at least to start. maybe your starter isn't doing that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts