Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Mercedes 190E 2.6
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to disable the shift point retard on the 1992 190E 2.6?

If so, I would like to know how to do so. Thanks!

·
Registered
92 190E 2.6
499 Posts
Mine does the same thing. Although, all this time, I thought it was just my trans acting up (she's a leaker) none of my other 190's did that, but they were all a little older. I agree it is annoying, but once you get to that first shift, it goes to normal shift points.

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,689 Posts
Disable, yes. There is a "transmission upshift delay relay" that supplies signal to the solenoid to do this operation.

I'm not sure where its located on the 2.6 though, its an m103 thing ,designed to help warm up the engine. On the 126 its located on the firewall across from the fusebox...

I'm not home now so I can't check my 201 FSM.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Could it also be responsible for bogging down upon initial acceleration right after a cold start?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
hmmm, I dont know, pull the relay, see if things get better...if not.. then no.

·
Registered
92 190E 2.6
499 Posts
I'm gonna try to find that relay and pull it. Because, A) I dont like the delayed up shift and B) I have a slight bogging issue when cold also

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Interesting, can anybody point out where the relay is on the w201?

If it's similar to the w126, then this relay should be close to the hood hinge, where the firewall meets the driver fender?

·
Registered
1992 Mercedes 190E 2.6
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. Also, pictures would be helpful on where this relay mentioned is. If no picture is available, thats ok. I can just check out Mitchell or Alldata for it. Though I remember checking several times before and couldnt find anything... maybe im not looking hard enough.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mercedes phased out the Upshift Delay Relay from 1992 and above (on the W201.028 and 201.029). Instead what you would see is an Upshift Delay Switchover valve. On my 190e - 2.3L the switchover valve is literally screwed on the firewall right beside the fusebox (in front of the driver-side, on a left hand drive car). There's two tubes coming out of it, with and a wire connector clip. One of the tubes connects to the upshift delay vacuum element located on the tranny. The other tube connects to a "check valve" which is about 5 inches away on the other side of the metal shield protruding out from the firewall. The check-valve in my car is a bright yellow, plastic cylinder. The check valve has three tubes coming out of it, one coming from the switchover valve (mentioned above), the other goes to the vaccuum reservoir and the third goes to the intake manifold.

Now the question, can you disable the switchover valve and not cause issues? I don't know, but at least you know what components are involved.
I hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
There are two ice cube relays in front of the fuse box on my 190E '89 2.6. When removed the front one has "A" marked on the base, while the rear one has "C"...

The front one of the relays (marked "A") was the silver 5-pin type but the plug has only 4 slots available. The rear one (marked "C") was the black 4-pin type.

Both are not marked or labeled except for the "A" and "C", can anybody tell me which ones these are?

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
There are two ice cube relays in front of the fuse box on my 190E '89 2.6. When removed the front one has "A" marked on the base, while the rear one has "C"...

The front one of the relays (marked "A") was the silver 5-pin type but the plug has only 4 slots available. The rear one (marked "C") was the black 4-pin type.

Both are not marked or labeled except for the "A" and "C", can anybody tell me which ones these are?
Nobody knows this information?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
K29 is listed as being next to the coolant reservoir bottle...

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I found this K29 relay on my uncle's 91 190E and my sister's 93 190E beside the coolant reservoir, but not on my '89 190E (all 2.6).

However, I did notice this morning there was no bogging down.

Also found these links but on a 2.3 not a 2.6:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w201-190-class/1363335-those-know-what-190e-auto-tranny.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w201-190-class/1363157-yup-another-cold-starting-thread-2.html

#6 in this thread:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w201-190-class/1349037-1st-gear.html

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Still no more bogging down but there still is the delayed upshift, but the shift is not that harsh anymore.

Only things I've done prior were replacing the center bearing + carrier (doubtful this had an effect), and played with the relays (removed and reseated in socket).

My mechanic also adjusted duty cycle, it was running too lean.

Could any of these had a direct effect on the engine bogging down while accelerating after a cold start?

·
Registered
1993 190e 2.6
14 Posts
The cold upshift delay on my 93 190e 2.6 is on the engine bay firewall directly in front of the steering wheel next to the power brake booster with an electrical connector on the bottom and two vacuum hoses connected to it on the top. I disconnected the electrical conn. and now the trans shifts the same - hot, cold, whatever.

·
Registered
1992 Mercedes 190E 2.6
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The cold upshift delay on my 93 190e 2.6 is on the engine bay firewall directly in front of the steering wheel next to the power brake booster with an electrical connector on the bottom and two vacuum hoses connected to it on the top. I disconnected the electrical conn. and now the trans shifts the same - hot, cold, whatever.
Requesting pictures, if that is ok with you. So far I haven't found any relay that is located at places mentioned in the posts.

Thanks sir!

·
Registered
1993 190e 2.6
14 Posts
Stand at the front of car with hood open (driver's side)- look straight toward steering wheel - the relay is on firewall just slightly higher than air cleaner - t0 the right of the engine and next to the power brake booster (at least on a '93)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts