Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2012 S550 Bi turbo model and the extended bumper to bumper warranty ends January 3. It makes a bad rattling sound, the 1st time the dealer changed the chain tensioner, which they said was bad, but still makes the sound. I took it back and they said the head mechanic started a few cars in the lot and that sound is "normal for the age of the car." (when they compared it) we've had it since 50,000 miles and it now has 75,000 miles on it. I am worried before the warranty ends. I heard it can be an expensive repair with a stretched timing chain (you tube). any advice would be appreciated. or do I have nothing to worry about? any other common things I should have checked also because I noticed if I don't "complain about it they wont change it, like the motor mounts, I had to tell them and they said you are right they are bad, even though on their inspection they didn't notice it.
thanks so much!!

·
Premium Member
4,156 Posts
Assuming your engine # is within bulletin range given dealer replaced tensioners. If you do not know engine # pull data card here https://www.datamb.com/ depending on #, both tensioners & valves need replacement if they have not done so. May in fact be normal nevertheless, bulletin notes if noise persists seek MB technical assistance (PTSS case). If engine # is within range discuss this bulletin with service manager.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Konigstiger!
yes! my engine falls under that bulletin. my engine number is 27893230029540. my vin is wddng7db7ca459908.
Do i tell the dealer I fall under this bulletin? is this for warranty cars only? Sorry 1 more question how would I open this PTSS case if they dont help me. thank you kindly again!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again you are the best! I will take it in now that i have this they cant say its normal for the age....
I'll let everyone know how it comes out, so incase it will help someone else too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update, I am shocked at the dealership. They flat out refuse to acknowledge the rattle sound. even though everyone (and my wife even who knows nothing about cars, too.) hears it. the day before I had a German auto place look at it and they confirmed it also and said to take it to the dealer since I had the warranty. My car since end of December is still there and the service advisor is taking weeks to answered me. I finally get a email that they are trying to replicate the problem and they need to replicate it to open a case with MBNA. I think they are trying to annoy me or make me give up. when I said i wanted to open the case, he said he needed his loaner car back that day. not sure if I can call MBNA directly since my car is just sitting for a month for no reason there. Not sure what else to do since they are lying to me.
thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts