Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 ML430
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ML is considered a '00 by the Germans and a '99 by the Americans. It currently has around 140000km. My current problem is this:

After starting and until partially warm (around 1/2 way to normal operating temp) the engine will cut off. It will not restart for 10-30 minutes afterward. When I try to start it I can hear the starter but the engine does not turn over. My friend is a mechanic for a Benz dealership here in Germany. He has hooked it up to the "basic" computer and the only problem he found was with the mass air sensor. He replaced that for me with no luck. Even after deleting the fault, the problem persists. I've found the only way to avoid this problem is to stay on the gas until partially warm. After warm theproblem doesn't resurface until it's next cold start.

Any ideas? My friend the mechanic is lost as am I.

·
BenzWorld Elite Member
2004 SL55, 2006 Range Rover Supercharged, 2013 Infiniti M37
312 Posts
US versions are notorious for fuel pump failure, not sure if European vehicles have the same issues.

·
Registered
99 ML430
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brett - 2/1/2005 3:38 PM

US versions are notorious for fuel pump failure, not sure if European vehicles have the same issues.
I talked to my mechanic and he thinks not. He thinks if it was the fuel pump it would either work or not, not work only whent he car is warm.

·
Registered
99 ML430
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not trying to bump this up I just noticed some other symptoms that may help someone identify the problem.

When on the gas warming the car will buck two or three times. It's almost like a cylinder doesn't fire. Revs drop by about 5000, and then bounce back. Lately if the car dies before it warms up it will not restart for hours.

Soldaten - 2/1/2005 3:03 PM

My ML is considered a '00 by the Germans and a '99 by the Americans. It currently has around 140000km. My current problem is this:

After starting and until partially warm (around 1/2 way to normal operating temp) the engine will cut off. It will not restart for 10-30 minutes afterward. When I try to start it I can hear the starter but the engine does not turn over. My friend is a mechanic for a Benz dealership here in Germany. He has hooked it up to the "basic" computer and the only problem he found was with the mass air sensor. He replaced that for me with no luck. Even after deleting the fault, the problem persists. I've found the only way to avoid this problem is to stay on the gas until partially warm. After warm theproblem doesn't resurface until it's next cold start.

·
Registered
2000 ML430
657 Posts
I talked to my mechanic and he thinks not. He thinks if it was the fuel pump it would either work or not, not work only whent he car is warm
Failing fuel pump and filter!! I have been there before.

·
Registered
ML320, ML430, E320
147 Posts
Had the same problem with me E-Class. The fuel pump must be the problem.

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
Soldaten - 2/1/2005 10:03 AM

Hello Soldier,
It is likely one of two problems:

Fuel Pump / clogged filter (do a search on this forum for some DIY instructions)

OR

Crankshaft Position Sensor (also found using the search function - this one is a easy DIY and quite inexpensive)

mit freundlichen gruessen,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts