Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'98 C280 Sport, '96 C280 Sport, '97 M3
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother told me that her 1998 c280 began having some shifting issues with the recent cold weather. I have not personally driven it yet, but she says it winds out 1st gear very long way past the shift point before shifting. I've told her to use the manual mode from now on until the car's warmed up. After the car is warmed up it will shift properly. Would a simple tranny fluid flush/replacement and filter change fix this issue. Seems to me the fluid is probably old and could use a changing. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
2000 c230 Kompressor (Totalled 5/2012)
238 Posts
The car is designed to delay upshifts until the catalytic converter is warmed up. Usually, I drive my car very grandmotherly for the first few minutes. Otherwise, I let it warm up using the following method: I put the car in neutral and the rpms go up to slightly over 1000rpm, then after 30 seconds to a minute, the rpms will drop down to a little less than 1000rpm. After this procedure, the car doesn't hold upshifts nearly as long.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the quick response, I'm going to have her give that a try. I'm surprised there's not a secondary air pump system on these cars, my bmw has one for just this purpose, to help with cold start emissions. It blows air through a fitting in the headers down to the cats so they warm up quicker. We still may have the fluid done though. Thanks man

·
Registered
2000 c230 Kompressor (Totalled 5/2012)
238 Posts
don't mention it! :)

I'm hoping how my car behaves is normal. However, I have read that this is common on these cars. Though with any car, it's never a bad idea to let it warm up a little first, or drive it gently until it warms up. When it's very cold out, the fluids are more viscous, so they don't circulate as well and parts can be subject to more wear. But I have been told by an auto-tech friend that newer fluids are designed to prevent damage.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Completely understand, As you and I being car guys, It's easy to consciously think about letting it warm up/easy on throttle. I explained to my mom and hopefully it will be better. Ya can't just floor it when not properly warmed up. I'll be sure to update the thread how it goes, as well as the fluid change. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,595 Posts
i believe these cars do have a secondary air pump.

anyway, have her warm up her car, it will be fine. and while you are checking out her car check out the transmission fluid while you are at it. remember operating temp is ~80 degs C.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
i believe these cars do have a secondary air pump.

anyway, have her warm up her car, it will be fine. and while you are checking out her car check out the transmission fluid while you are at it. remember operating temp is ~80 degs C.
I believe they do too.

In the mornings, upon first start-up, I always hear a pump-like whine; it's barely audible just after the engine revs drop to normal idle speed.

I always allow the car to go through both its 'high revs' and 'pump whine' sequences before setting off.

And even then I drive the car gently till I see that the engine temp is at 80 degrees.

ps.

OP, I also do not believe that anything is wrong with your car - It's probably taking just a tad bit longer to warm up because of the colder ambient temperatures.:)

·
Registered
2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
3,488 Posts
They do have a secondary air injection pump. However, this system doesn't warm the catalytic converter up any faster. It helps to dilute the richer air/fuel mixture that you get before the car has warmed up a bit, which helps to protect the CC from damage.

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,595 Posts
So what have we learned today OP?

Our cars do have a secondary air pump which won't warm up your oils any faster. So all you need to do is chill out for a couple of minutes and let the car warm up before you punch it! How about drink coffee or read the front page of your local paper or spy on the neighbor while your car warms up.

Be worried when your transmission shudders and falls out from under the car. Then you are really fu*ked!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts