Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read many posts here about having to hit the defrost button on the CCU to get the heat to work in the EC setting. I've been doing this, but I hate to cycle the AC compressor when I don't have to.

I thought for a long time that the sensor on the thermostat housing was for the oil cooler fan, but then someone posted that it is to keep the heater from blowing when the engine is cold. So today, I wondered whether mine was functional. I pulled the connector and bridged it to ground and voila, the heater works in EC mode without using the defrost button. Bad sensor.

The only price I could find for this little devil was around $70! Why, I wondered, when temp sending units are so much cheaper? Anyway, now I have to decide whether to permanently ground the connector or continue using the defroster button first. No junkyards anywhere near to pull a used one.

Anyone know where I can find one cheaper?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Mine stays in "lock out" until the temp gets to 40c. Grounding is not a bad idea since it's just a temperature driven grounding switch.

Plus, there is nothing wrong with cycling A/C compressor when it's cold out side. It actually helps to keep the seals oiled.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts