Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that my 230 is ticking when the engine is cold, haven't noticed before but my wife says it has been doing it since we bought it. I have 115k and climbing so I wouldn't be surprised if the valves needed adjustment...but I don't know if they are adjustable in this engine. If not, I may be experiencing an exhaust leak...hope it is valve adjustment.

Once up to normal operating temp it completely goes away, so is it real critical that I get them adjusted immediately?

Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
The valves are self-adjusting (hydraulic). Are you using the correct spec oil. If it's too thick when cold, it will not pump up the lifters when cold, thus leading to a ticking sound.
You can also try to put some Seafoam into the oil, say for about 50 miles before the next oil change, to clear away any buildup from the lifters.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe the oil is 5-30 full synthetic, I know that older engines bleed down and tick sometimes at start-up, but this continues until the engine reaches operating temp. So it is probably a small exhaust leak if the valves are self adjusting.

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
0w-30 grade oil is not recommended by Benz - 0w-40 or 5w-50 is the go (more temperate climes!)

High temp shear strength with 30 grade isn't good enough (even in your winter)

Plenty of posts about this - Note the upper ambient temp for 30 grade on the graph - might be part of your problem.

Oberoi

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am guessing on the 5-30 oil, the local shop that did the change called Benz to get the right oil, so I am supposing they got it right. It has been between -19 degress and +45 degrees here lately, so hopefully if they did get the wrong oil it hasn't done any damage. I may just take it to another shop and have the 5-50 put in to be sure. Is the Mobile one correct for fully synthetic, or is any ful synthetic brand OK?

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
I think the Mobil 1 0W-40 would be better in your climate - we use 5W-50 here because of hot summers and still get the cold start benefit of 5W.

There is a list of recommended lubricants on here if you search - any good brand is probably there (interesting comments about 0W-30 oil tho' if you read down the page)

If you really want to isolate the sticky lifter, try putting in some engine flush for 10 min. before draining - might dissolve some varnish if the last oil change was crappy oil.

Also recommend you change your own oil and filter to ensure you are getting what you pay for !!!!

Oberoi

1 - 6 of 6 Posts