Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes 300 TE 24v SportLine -91 W124
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as the topic suggests I would like to know from anyone that has experienced a very cold climate and the cars ability to heat up the cupé.

Here we had -22 degrees Celsius yesterday and -15 today and I am not too satisfied with the ability to heat up the cupé.
Ok, after a while it is quite comfortable in the front seat. But in the back my fiancé freezes a bit and I still got frost on stuff in the trunk (300TE).
Not good at all.:(

My last car was a Citroën XM V6 estate with a very satisfying heat and ventilation. Sure, that model also has vents in front of the back doors too.
But never the less, both are European cars and I did expect more from Mercedes.

I have been wondering about dirt inside the heater matrix but then again I would not have sufficient air flow and I DO have that.
The next thought and suspicion would be dirt/corrosion inside the matrix that would restrict water flow.... could be.

This is why I would like to hear from You guys who have experienced cold climate with Your cars.

Cheers and Merry Christmas from Sweden!:D

·
Registered
"Gretchen" my 1986 300E 286000 km+ (RIP) August 2015
1,092 Posts
I think the first thing you should do is move your fiancé up to the front seat and that would help with warmth. Good Luck:)

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,757 Posts
How is the heat for the back seat passengers in your TE? Have you check your electric aux water pump? Items in the trunk will never gain benefit from heat in the interior. The rear compartment is sealed off from the rest of the car.

Jayare

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, as it is a TE... think You call it estate, there is no restriction in airflow to the "trunk".;)
I have my oldest sons chair mounted in the front and my youngest son and fiancé in the back.

The aux pump is working just fine as I have serviced it myself.;) It produces heat if the engine is off, as it should. hehe

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,757 Posts
The aux water pump is there to provide boosted water flow to the heater core while the engine is at idle speeds. This allows the system to provide ample heat to the interior while at slow speeds. This is the way the system works on US models with climatic tempomat (auto) HVAC systems. I am not certain, or versed in the operation of manual select euro systems if your CE is so equipped.

Jayare

·
Registered
W124
5,175 Posts
These cars can generate plenty of heat. First, make sure the thermostat in the engine is correct. Here in the States we use a 190 degree F and it generates enough heat for our winters. The auxiliary water pump is important too; make sure it is running because it can cause very poor heat in the cabin when stopped in traffic or idling. The next thing to check is under the front seats. There are vents that direct air toward the feet of the rear seat occupants. These can easily be blocked by carpets or whatever else might be accumulating in the rear footwell. It would seem that a TE might be harder to heat up than a sedan but I had a 300TD (123) for many years and that car made plenty of rear cabin heat. Good luck, and oh yes, I agree with moving the fiancee up front. :)

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,405 Posts
If my conversion chart is correct, that's about -8F. I have no trouble in temps like that, as the car generates tons of heat-probably the best heated car I've ever had. And it also warms up the fastest of any car I've ever had. If this is the same OP, he's tried thermostats and an examination of his cooling system. I suspect some worn pods not closing the right vent doors. Need to get to that pod manifold behind the glove-box area and check all the lines with a vacuum pump.

Kevin

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As I have written before, I have serviced the aux pump myself and it's working flawlessly.
The engine can get to it's working temp to slightly above +80 degrees Celsius after 20 minutes or so in this cold temperature.
The foot-well has very good air flow. Both front and rear.

It's just like I don't get hot enough air to cope with warming up the compartment well enough behind the front seat.

This TE model has automatic dual temp regulation and manual air flow and fan speed selector.

Are there POD's behind the glove compartment that regulates the heat apart from the electro-valves by the battery???

Cheers from a snowy Christmas Sweden!

·
Premium Member
10,405 Posts
European model differences notwithstanding....the pod manifold is behind the the glove box, not the pods. The pods are behind the dash and require dash removal to accesses them. I was talking about putting a vacuum pump on the correct side of the manifold lines to test the individual pods. If the hot air goes to your feet on both side of the front cabin, it should also be going to the back via flat ducting that you see when you pull up the carpet. However, there is a connection there that can separate-under the front carpets.

Kevin

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The airflow is without any fault.

Today we went to visit my brother and his family in Stockholm. A bit more then an hour of driving.
It took the car about 40 minutes at full speed to get rid of misty windows in the back.

When we went back this morning the fan quit on me when we got home.... aaargh!

Opened the fuse box and found the fuse at #12... NOT blown, just a bit colored and a smell of melted plastic.
Looked at the fuse and touched it and found it a bit loose... AND 5 mm lower then the others.
It had been quite hot in the fuse holder so the lower part had traveled downwards in the plastic leaving the upper part without any spring force.
Adjusted it to go lower so it had some spring force against the fuse. Now it worked.
Hmm..... have to look at that later....

·
Registered
93 300E 2.8
101 Posts
The heat in my 300E work better than in any car I've owned. In 20 degree (F, = to -6C) weather here my car has warmed up to operating temp in 2-3 miles, and the heat is literally baking me out of the car unless I turn it down to the blue section of the temp dial.

I'd check your thermostat and see if it isn't stuck open.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is NO FAULT in the engine temperature!
It gets to 80 degrees Celsius or just slightly above.
The heat comes on quite fast.

If You have to turn Your dial to the blue, You have to check Your automatic climate control as You should not need to turn it lower then Your comfort zone.

Does SOMEONE/ANYONE have cut out schematic of the heater vent unit??
I am not to fond of knowing that You are not able to change the heater matrix without MAJOR disassembly.
It would have made a whole lot of difference if I would be able to change it like a cassette player.... like on my smart Citroën XM.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
10,405 Posts
It could be as I stated above....that your Euro model could be significantly different than North America models. In any event, it's not our fault that most probably, all the pods in your car are behind the dash. Send a scathing letter to MB, but don't demand anything from us.:rolleyes: Why don't you test all the pods from the manifold-you only have to remove the glove box?:confused:

Whatever.....

Kevin

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok! I can do that. No problem.
It's just that I fail to see how and what any fault in these would relate to my problem.
I do have cool air (if wanted) I do have "hot" air (if wanted). And it's automatically regulating itself without a flaw.

In the front seat, the temp is great and if I set it to lightly under 26 degrees Celsius it will keep that temp. No problem at all.

The problem is that the car can't handle the rest of the compartment too well when it's freezing cold.

One thing that I have been wondering about is why the temp should be just 80 degrees Celsius and not above 90!?!?!?
Other car's I have had would not either be able to heat up the compartment if being just 80 degrees.

·
Registered
93 300E 2.8
101 Posts
There is NO FAULT in the engine temperature!
It gets to 80 degrees Celsius or just slightly above.
The heat comes on quite fast.
Cheers!
Only 80C? Mine runs at 90C. Maybe you need a higher temp thermostat to get some more heat out of your engine. Mine has a 189F Thermostat, that would be almost 89C. Are your under seat air tubes blowing out hot air? Lastly, you might have to be a bit warmer up front to get hot air all the way to the back.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will check the availability for a hotter thermostat.

The air flow tubes under the seats works flawlessly.

·
Registered
1993 230 TE.1999 om 606 td. and 722.6 3.2L,clk w208 1987 Kit car with 260e running gear.
740 Posts
Hey JY,
Maybe need a backflush like mine did last month or so, see old thread.
What I remember from stripping and investigating the lack of heat is a number of things like,
Duo valve is easily tested by unplugging it as it needs power to close.
Dont remember any pods thingys or manifolds behind the glove box, just the air temp sample pump, but then I ve got no a/c.
Fan speed switch drags a control cable with it as you ramp it up and this opens the inlet side of the matrix accordingly.
There seems to be no option of recirculating the air so the heater always nees to work hard with the incoming air.

Boyd

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey JY,
Maybe need a backflush like mine did last month or so, see old thread.
What I remember from stripping and investigating the lack of heat is a number of things like,
Duo valve is easily tested by unplugging it as it needs power to close.
Dont remember any pods thingys or manifolds behind the glove box, just the air temp sample pump, but then I ve got no a/c.
Fan speed switch drags a control cable with it as you ramp it up and this opens the inlet side of the matrix accordingly.
There seems to be no option of recirculating the air so the heater always nees to work hard with the incoming air.

Boyd
I have recirculation option on mine.;)

But yes, I will seriously take that flushing into consideration!!

I would personally think that a flush and a different thermostat would make a difference.

I'll keep Ya'll posted!;) (Was in Houston for 3 months back in -05-06. hehehe:cool:):eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts